The grumpy thread

outlaw118

39 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I will need to strip it out , but the uni probe would not fit/slide into the too small  holder , and the orig connection nut is a strange size , it uses a 8mm spanner thou ?? .  Tried heating probe tip tonight with a oven lighter but no response .. I do have a non working spare gas tap to work on for trying the fit .

3/8th for valve end, 5/16 at the jet end on mine. Other choices are available, obs

On 12/11/2023 at 13:09, MikeR said:

head light bulbs ... duff ones ... changing them is now longer a roadside job ..

sons aygo became one eyed at night , just pull the bulb and pop in a new one ..  thats the plan

no , the bulb arse is up against the turret , the connector is also seized on , and its cold , and its raining ..and the rubber boot wont even shift

in the end we undid all the bolts and forced the headlight unit around till we could get  the bulb out , new one in , test and refit ..

but as one duff bulb normally means the others on its way , in the interests of not suffering on a snowy day we went for some more hand abuse and injuries

by replacing the nearside bulb as well ....

which had the added satisfaction of the earthing lead being in the way , and extra wiggle  room to get the unit moved had to be  acquired by undoing the wing bolt and gently HEAVING till we could get the bulb changed ,tested  , and  refitting involved MORE HEAVING involving long tools to get it back  ..

quite a light injury list , just 3 minor cuts and some blood loss

next time I see a bug with panel gaps I will put it down to headlight bulb changes ...

One new bulb has fubared already .

I see more cuts and blood loss in the near future ..

11 hours ago, High Jetter said:

3/8th for valve end, 5/16 at the jet end on mine. Other choices are available, obs

Playing with the drill bits gets the uni thermocouple to go on the jet end ( non working spares used ) , but the tap end is missing a suitable nut ,, perhaps cut a slot in the existing nut and reuse it , unless the plumber has one on his dash ?

At least it would keep us going till  the new boiler went in ...

IMG_20231115_1048409582.thumb.jpg.fc67fd83fc535c55d329e23c514b2035.jpgIMG_20231115_1049012352.thumb.jpg.dc347a4d6a77c0451660aa8ca5cef18d.jpg

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

Playing with the drill bits gets the uni thermocouple to go on the jet end ( non working spares used ) , but the tap end is missing a suitable nut ,, perhaps cut a slot in the existing nut and reuse it , unless the plumber has one on his dash ?

At least it would keep us going till  the new boiler went in ...

IMG_20231115_1048409582.thumb.jpg.fc67fd83fc535c55d329e23c514b2035.jpgIMG_20231115_1049012352.thumb.jpg.dc347a4d6a77c0451660aa8ca5cef18d.jpg

Any nut on old t/couple should slide off one end or t'other I think, unless it's a split one that comes off at a flattened bit.

I’ve just had to send an, “ever since you” email to the garage. Ever since they fitted my passenger door, my Scirocco ’s just not run right. I’ve tried driving with the doors locked and unlocked, windows wound up and down and it’s just shite. Luckily they’ve admitted it’s all their fault and they’ll sort it all out for me FOC on Friday. 
Fucked servo, air leak and I’ll be paying.

Top tip for sellers... especially on FB marketplace, If you want to sell the thing you've advertised, as much as dealing with people generally is a fucking pain, you do actually need to reply to people. If something's still sitting there 5 weeks after you advertise it and you're just not bothering to answer anyone who is genuinely interested, that's probably why it is indeed still sat there. Thanks.

Had a couple of ditchfinders fitted to the insignia. It had a fault code - and light - for a faulty TPMS.

Imagine my disgust to find car has no sensors fitted - the fault code obviously a red herring from before somebody fitted the VXR wheels. That's £50 wasted on a sensor.

Then a couple of the nuts decided to give up their threads - I drove home with three nuts on one wheel - my arse was like pingu's mouth.

Euro crap arts provided two new nuts. Lookers simply stated they had nothing for a car " that old". 

On this forum 2014 is brand new.

20 minutes ago, Bren said:

Had a couple of ditchfinders fitted to the insignia. It had a fault code - and light - for a faulty TPMS.

Imagine my disgust to find car has no sensors fitted - the fault code obviously a red herring from before somebody fitted the VXR wheels. That's £50 wasted on a sensor.

Then a couple of the nuts decided to give up their threads - I drove home with three nuts on one wheel - my arse was like pingu's mouth.

Euro crap arts provided two new nuts. Lookers simply stated they had nothing for a car " that old". 

On this forum 2014 is brand new.

Map them out then forget about it. 

Watching jmm on YouTube just now, on the Maserati ownership costs from new… the airbag light had annual repairs at hundreds of pounds and obviously was never really fixing it.

in 15 years and 130,000 miles total is £54,000! Plus 14mpg and buying it for £95,000 in the first place.

5 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Top tip for sellers... especially on FB marketplace, If you want to sell the thing you've advertised, as much as dealing with people generally is a fucking pain, you do actually need to reply to people. If something's still sitting there 5 weeks after you advertise it and you're just not bothering to answer anyone who is genuinely interested, that's probably why it is indeed still sat there. Thanks.

Fb. Oh dear

On 15/11/2023 at 13:20, MikeR said:

Anti grump ....

It appears I can have a freebie new boiler 👍

Survey next week .... 

Result. I'll be out today, but if you need to shower, you've got the key to the back door. 

Not saying you smell but it's been over a week now, without hot water. 

Four bloody visits to Toolstation today, first one was for a replacement bulb for the downstairs shitter, weird thing that looks like a old style kettle element. Apparently me leaving a little floodlight unit by the door was not adequate enough.

61395.thumb.jpg.21c6c94bb00e78d5d7c2897a2db94861.jpg

Second trip was when the extractor fan failed in the en-suite (I fucking hate that word), it has been making funny noises for a while, despite attacking it with Henry the hoover and spraying some contact cleaner and grease in. It was nice of whoever fitted it to glue it to the ceiling instead of screwing it, so only half a ton of plaster came down on me, also the lazy twats never put any ducting in, so that damp air has been running around the roof void for years.

So the third trip was for some ducting to connect to the outside vent as I only noticed the ducting was awol after removing half the ceiling the extractor.

The fourth visit was when the outer vent flaps decided they'd had enough of being vent flaps and made a bid for freedom. I don't think the whole series of events cost more than £40 but not the day I had planned.

On 17/11/2023 at 18:03, Mrcento said:

19 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Fb. Oh dear

Would usually avoid it like the plague, but this guy has something up for sale i've always kinda fancied trying, and its the only one currently advertised in the UK (and happens to be relatively local for collection), So of course, he won't reply to any messages. Because FB. Bad for sellers, bad for buyers. To be fair to the guy, probably been pissed off by the typical marketplace buyer, but at the point, delete the ad ffs.

And in other news, my option B i had an eye on has vanished/sold. Spent too much time chasing the other guy about option A and now have none of them to show for it. Probably my fault on that one to be fair, should have bailed on the efforts for the first car when the seller didn't answer the second attempt.

After last week's excitement* of tracing family tree we decided to go out and find some of the dead guys. We know which graveyard, we know the dates, how hard can it be?

Very. Needs a strimmer to have any hope of getting down even any of the main paths. We got slightly piss wet thru and the Mrs. kind of fell down a foot in a sunken grave. Maybe try again...

4 hours ago, jakebullet said:

After last week's excitement* of tracing family tree we decided to go out and find some of the dead guys. We know which graveyard, we know the dates, how hard can it be?

Very. Needs a strimmer to have any hope of getting down even any of the main paths. We got slightly piss wet thru and the Mrs. kind of fell down a foot in a sunken grave. Maybe try again...

Worth it when you find them tho...

There we go, as expected just had the angry "you missed your appointment, how dare you?!?" letter from my GP.

No, no I didn't. It was a telephone appointment (because that's all you would offer me), and you never bloody called.  For the second time in a row.  Prior to that you cancelled it the day before.

Only a 12 week wait between each of these...it's not like we're dealing with anything which is *probably* fine but might be really serious or anything.

Need to phone up our private provider again and see if there's absolutely anything they can do to get around the referral requirement at this point as I'm just going around in bloody circles here, and have been for nearly a year now.  Even more frustrating is that they do allow self-referral for some conditions - just nothing that fits for me in this case of course.

On Saturday i did the nextdoor workshop a favour and housed a Caterham they are working on in my workshop for the weekend. I pushed it in as it doesn't start and pushed it out this morning. Nextdoor are closed due to the owner being at a funeral so I pushed the car straight out so it was in full view of the workshop.

The owner of the car turns up and starts having a right go at me for leaving his car outside all weekend. Told him it was locked away in my workshop and I've only just pushed it out. Then he goes on about leaving it in the rain, it's never been out in the rain. It's not raining now but he can see it's been in the rain. Then he goes on about leaving his tools in it outside. It's a Caterham with canvas doors and a canvas roof not the sort of car you would leave valuables in. Properly having a go at me because his car is outside and the bonnet is off.

If that cunt wants an MoT anytime soon I am going to be fully booked for the next three years.