Tools you bought but never used

Bren

I have a machine mart 100L compressor.

Despite having it for 18 months it has never been out of the box. Lack of room and my asthma simply got in the way.

Sometimes this week I will wake it from it's slumber. Then I will look for some air tools.

I must'nt be the only person who has bought tools that have never been used?

A bunch of air tools actually. Seemed like a good idea, but my compressor is a little weedy and the faff and noise of waiting for it to charge, pissing about with the hoses etc.....I just cant be arsed. Impact gun, air ratchet, air drill, air chisel....I have either a battery equivalent to each or can do it manually with less hassle.

The tyre inflator and blow guns are handy and I have used the spray guns a fair bit, but lack the skill to feel competent at painting.

A tube of threadlock for doing the Meriva's cambelt, then forgot about it. Rolls around in my 'big' toolbox, the meriva's engine didn't fall apart so probably wasnt needed

Inner tie rod socket thing, it came after I did the job with mole grips and waterpump pliers. Will get used soon though

a set of cheap brake pipe spanners, which came in all the sizes bar the one I needed for the Xantia. Has now fully integrated itself in my box box of spanners, bar one which has the correct size allen key bit hammered into it for the rear caliper slider bolts on a Renault Laguna 2...

Infact add the correct sizes suspension pipe spanner that I did buy for the Xantia, never used and gave it to the bloke who bought it.

Torque wrench. Only a cheap one, again bought for the Meriva's cambelt change and I forgot about it...

I also bought new old stock genuine belts and bags for a hoover which was cheap and shitty back in the day. It's got damaged in the shed and I'm probably going to break it for spares... Might not though, depends if I can find the broken bit, but it's such a worthless thing it's not worth it (unless I can flog it on here...)

My ex's folks made a big thing every Christmas about buying stuff for me.

"I'm OK ta, just some booze or something" but they weren't having it. I had to submit a list of things I wanted by mid-November otherwise they'd be offended. I kid you not, felt like a child making a list for Santa.

I took to asking for tools, because they'd be useful at some point. Except now I've got no shite, in my toolbox I've got sealed packets containing things like snapped bolt removers, clamps, a die and tap set etc. 

Actually I shouldn't be saying this, just thought they'd be a great idea for next years Secret Santa ;)

A tube of threadlock for doing the Meriva's cambelt, then forgot about it. Rolls around in my 'big' toolbox, the meriva's engine didn't fall apart so probably wasnt needed

Inner tie rod socket thing, it came after I did the job with mole grips and waterpump pliers. Will get used soon though

Threadlock is VERY VERY needed for inner tie rods - ask me how I know

...Bought a ball joint splitter a few years ago for reasons that now escape me...

They are useless anyway - always tears the boot. Just use a big hammer

A sledge hammer. Despite owning lots of shite I've never found a need for it, even Basil Fawlty style.

post-17457-0-22393600-1515444516_thumb.jpg

The one and only time using a hammer to break the ball joint taper!

I have tried many times but never with a sledge hammer before

I love tools 8) (not the sort that drive like pricks though!). I have loads, and want more. The only tool so far purchased and not used so far is the new BFO MIG welder, as I am awaiting a new auto mask. It will be (over)used soon.

If it helps, I have a large shed with room for lots more tools, so I can happily offer free storage for any unused items :mrgreen:

Imperial sockets, never owned an old British car. Everything up to now has been metric

320 Touring could be your man for those :)

I bought a torque wrench about ten years ago. Its still in its plastic tube and I only find it every time I move house. Looks nice though.

I have a machine mart 100L compressor.

Despite having it for 18 months it has never been out of the box. Lack of room and my asthma simply got in the way.

Sometimes this week I will wake it from it's slumber. Then I will look for some air tools.

I must'nt be the only person who has bought tools that have never been used?

You know compressors run off of 230v? you're not supposed to fill the reservoir by blowing it up yourself!

Tools i've not used:

Air DA

racheting spanners

Yankee screwdriver [obsolete with decent cordless drill drivers]

. A thickness/planer for wood work.

These make a fair bit of cash second hand.  I have been wanting to buy one for ages, but can never justify it.  Hired one a couple of times now.

I don't think I have a single tool I've genuinely never used.  Possibly an odd size allen key in a pack I've not needed, but as a specific tools go, I've generally only bought a tool when I needed to do a job, hence nothing is unused.