Tools you bought but never used

Bren

A  flippin' scrollsaw.. what a daft thing to buy ..

Dennis 500cc mower ...and only a little garden .

Lidls 9" Angle grinder . Scary & noisy. Gave it away

Halfords 240v car  polisher thing. 

Morticer ..though i have actually used it  twice

Denbigh Flypress

Portable Honda Generator...too bloody heavy to move .. good for gassing moles though..

Concrete breaker . Can hardly pick it up is so heavy

I'd have a planer thicknesser anyday , what make , how much?

A router...rouwter... rowter? Thought I'd need it... Thought wrong. Thought about using it as a torture device more times than i have with using it for carpentry projects... Is that weird?

my ex bought me one of theses, im a car, metal kinda guy.... knew me well.....not

I always got the piss taken out of me at work for my wee box of tools, when most of the other guys had huge Snap On boxes full of stuff still in the packet.. and they'd still borrow stuff off me. I've never got into the habit of buying tools for the sake of it. I saw guys handing over a third of their wages every week to the tool van man. f**k that. My arguement was, If I drove for Eddie Stobart,would I be expected to buy a Scania?

I've got one of those massive socket sets that take over where your standard one stops. Must go beyond 2". Never been out of the box. Bought it for my metro wheel bearings but never got around to it.

A set of those ramps with the bottle jacks to lift the car really high. Bought to rust proof my mx-5. Sold it before that occurred.

The guys that haven’t used their torque wrenches worry me . So you not torque the road wheels up on cars ?

1 grunt plus half for luck usually. Never lost a wheel* yet

Yesterday whilst waiting for my mot the tech came in asking about his torque wrench and got a ribbing from the guy behind the desk. I piped up and said what I've just said above and he shook his head and said "no, we don't do that here" and smiled

Not so much bought but never used, but bought and then immediately started to regret and then rarely/never use. Sort of around that time when battery tools weren't up to the job but 240V tools were a bit on the dangerous side for using out in the rain, I got some of my power tools in 110V. It's like all the inconvenience of mains powered tools (cable, long extension lead down to the street/garage etc) but with the added annoyance of having to lug a sodding heavy tranny around as well. Every time you want to move round the car you have to drag the tranny round with everything. Every time you *just* need to stretch out a tiny bit further you can't because there's a 20kg tranny stopping the extension lead just pulling over a teensie bit. Big mistake. I got rid of the grinder but still got the incredibly expensive Makita sander/polisher which has been used twice in maybe 12 years.

Hub puller. Got it to remove wiper arms which had seized on but before it arrived the penetrating oil did its job and they popped off with a screwdriver. It will probably come in handy for something else...

Bought and never used:

1. compression meter, bought of ebay. Wrong o-rings on that, couldn't use, stuck in a box and forgot about it.

2. Lidl soldering iron, complete with stand and the works. Too big, when I need to solder I dig up my old one.

3. Bosch IXO thingy, still in plastic as bought almost 2 years ago.

4. Rubber mallet, seemed a good idea at the time.

5. metric 6 mm combination spanner (my set went down to only 7 and I've seen it in a store, so bought it).

6. Assorted lots of clicket drivers.

7. Asorted lots of pliers, and I only use some old ones I have.

I'm a tool hoarder.

Spring compressors - Bought to fix Hyundai but never used due to its cataclysmic failure sheet rendering the knackered rear shocks the least of my concerns.

Panel beating hammers/assorted paraphernalia - never had to do any bodywork repairs (touch wood).

Really really long screwdrivers - too long to be useful, no wonder the were marked down 85%!!!

HEAPS of woodworking tools/machinery - Never have any time for woodworking!

Manual impact driver. Use the proper electric gun quite frequent but I bought one of those types you hit with a hammer. Its crap.

I'd come to the conclusion that I was somehow lacking in the technique I was applying it with. I've tried three different makes (all basically the same). All useless.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

I'd come to the conclusion that I was somehow lacking in the technique I was applying it with. I've tried three different makes (all basically the same). All useless.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

i have had one of these for over 30 years now, absolutely invaluable. 

Trick is to apply it, twist the handle anti clockwise to take up the stack in the workings and then holding it in place use nothing less than 3lb hammer to give it a whack.

maybe modern ones are cheep and snasty?!?

Got to say I don't torque wheel bolts either just do them up f*cking tight but not so tight that I can't get the bastard things off with the standard wheelbrace in the event of a puncture.  It's a good point though, should be more rigorous and do it properly.

Once borrowed a Milwaukee reciprocating saw to cut off an inaccessible suspension bolt, it cut through a big nut like butter and seemed controllable so maybe it's one of those tools worth paying for a good one?

I bought a spoke shave about 10 years ago. Never used it.

I don't torque up wheel bolts - but I carry a 2' breaker bar & socket in the Disco & go for "nipped up firmly plus a quarter turn", which will definitely give better wheel tightening results than a standard boggo wheel brace.

Also, in my experience most torque wrenches are out of tolerance anyway. Some mates & I compared half a dozen different torque wrenches a while ago, varying from good quality, brand new & unopened to generic, old & well used. No two gave exactly the same results.