Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Recommended Posts

It's not often car insurance can raise a smile but the Princess policy was due for renewal next week and my current insurer have been bombarding me with renewal reminders by post, email and text which annoyed me intensely, especially seeing as they put the price up by £30.  I'd been recommended Hagerty by a couple of friends with old cars so I got a quote off their website, got an instant and fairly decent price, called them up and got straight through to a thoroughly pleasant chap - he asked the usual questions, managed to match the Lancaster price with extra bits like breakdown cover included and I had the new policy set up in a few minutes.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, phil_lihp said:

It's not often car insurance can raise a smile but the Princess policy was due for renewal next week and my current insurer have been bombarding me with renewal reminders by post, email and text which annoyed me intensely, especially seeing as they put the price up by £30.  I'd been recommended Hagerty by a couple of friends with old cars so I got a quote off their website, got an instant and fairly decent price, called them up and got straight through to a thoroughly pleasant chap - he asked the usual questions, managed to match the Lancaster price with extra bits like breakdown cover included and I had the new policy set up in a few minutes.    

I recently got insured with Hagerty on my MGF, I was happy with the price they quoted me and impressed with the thoroughly excellent customer service I received,  it was nice to able to speak car stuff with the gentleman on the end of the phone instead of just going through the process 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cleaned my ring... no one likes a dirty ring.

 

Admittedly it's been way overdue as I've had the  car a year and a half but I feared the metal disintegrating given the apparant rust.

20210502_130954

 

And after. Not rusty at all but, a lot of nicotine and cigarette smoke staining and thick gunge... nice 🤮

20210508_112722

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

48861357-65CE-47D1-A4E6-226934AC7025.jpeg

21596031-C9FB-4B32-BDDF-E3DF4E19BA51.jpeg

5CC04CAE-B6A0-476D-9D19-77BDEA112F04.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Half way through a cam belt job on a mk. 2 Ka (Fiat 500) , got the new belt lined up all nice, put on the new tensioner and ping it disintegrated. Bugger!

 

28BD3C3D-0D57-43FF-8D98-BB90418EB898.jpeg

Just as well it failed now rather than when the engine was running...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aldo135 said:

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

48861357-65CE-47D1-A4E6-226934AC7025.jpeg

21596031-C9FB-4B32-BDDF-E3DF4E19BA51.jpeg

5CC04CAE-B6A0-476D-9D19-77BDEA112F04.jpeg

I like 👍 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aldo135 said:

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

48861357-65CE-47D1-A4E6-226934AC7025.jpeg

21596031-C9FB-4B32-BDDF-E3DF4E19BA51.jpeg

5CC04CAE-B6A0-476D-9D19-77BDEA112F04.jpeg

I'm glad you like it! I am always worried when selling that my idea of a good car isn't someone else's idea of a good car. 

The lazy headlight wiper on the passenger side might just be a loose connector at the motor, it's another of those wee things I didn't get around to fixing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SiC said:

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Got my letter a couple of days ago, jag is on Friday, not planning anything in case it wipes me out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SiC said:

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Watched every hour pass on my clock last night. Feel rougher than a Badgers Backside. Haven't felt this bad since I had Glandular fever.

No Haynes Museum breakfast meet for me today. Gutted 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, loserone said:
Happy jaguar day!
 
[mention=20071]SiC[/mention]are you on the paracetamol?  
 
I've never looked forward to feeling like shit before..

Just taken some. Paracetamol usually makes feck all difference with me though unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did 190+ miles yesterday to look at a couple of Yarises/Yarii (?) for Miss SL. Looking to spend around a grand. If it works out OK then it can also be used for Master SL when he start driving at the end of next year.

109cbea0f1114d45a1cb1b5bb757672f.jpg

This well-specced CDX was pretty decent, from a trader in cheapies who works from home. Came away thinking that was the one, but felt we need to see at least one other first.

Toyota yaris, Hatchback, 2004, Manual, 998 (cc), 3 doors, low miles, long MOT

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

When we got back home we found that an ad had just been posted for another good candidate which was not too far from the first one we'd seen - a shame we didn't know about it when we were over that way, but if neither of the above work out then we've got that as a fallback.

It's a while since I've gone around to view cars, it wasn't as unpleasant an experience as I feared but we did weed out several possibilities which didn't feel right for whatever reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

Update: Just agreed a price with the pleasant and helpful seller, will collect it next weekend.

It's only a year or so younger than Miss SL. That'd be the equivalent of me having got myself a 1971 Corolla when I started driving.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After the heavy rain last night, it was a good time to check the water ingress issue on the passenger footwell on the Cavalier. Clearing the central drain pipe made no difference and the water was actually dripping out the floor bung.

I was a bit concerned that the bulkhead was rotten there. Although  I do have the means to weld it now, there's wiring behind there so it could get a bit involved. 

First I broke the windscreen washer pump outlet. Great. New one only £8 from ebay so ordered it on the hoof.

20210509_100136.thumb.jpg.bbd625666ef42f4f70882800a22cc711.jpg

Garage that did the timing belt broke this vacuum hose connector which was annoying. I'm surprised it didn't  affect the running. Anyway, I can't get a new one yet as typing it into ebay brings up actual vacuum cleaner stuff!

20210509_081731.thumb.jpg.ac1826c6398586ef5b22ca6cade2a117.jpg

20210509_113256.thumb.jpg.4590d71e4de9ad243f7aaba2260c85b4.jpg

I stripped out the plastic scuttle  panel. Its very fragile and will need some gaffa tape here and there.

The bulkhead looks OK . I reckon if I wanted to make things a WHOLE lot worse for myself I could dig out the bitumen matting and find a hole somewhere but as it stands, resealing the factory joins with Tiger Seal is a better solution. I'll then go over the lot with a couple of coats of Hammerite to seal the bitumen matting up as its cracked in a few places.

20210509_101317.thumb.jpg.f9f083cc6d5480568ab99eec66560819.jpg

20210509_101326.thumb.jpg.02f19428d544f3c0e91cf794d0ef3d15.jpg

One area of grot about an inch long near the bottom of the screen but its not doing anything at the moment so I'll Vactan that up and leave it for now.

Glad I've got a decent garage to allow everything to dry out for a few days before sealing it!

I also had new fuel hose fitted from Hose World as the original was badly perished and definitely a fire risk. New stuff looks pretty heavy duty!

20210509_093543.thumb.jpg.b48877dac54e3600973d38da53bb590b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Went out to get my tools in an ultimately failed attempt to remove the tow bar from the new purchase and some scroat has tried drilling the locks out :(

20210509_121046.thumb.jpg.076f7185dbfc6dd8ff00d829b3228a35.jpg

20210509_121048.thumb.jpg.1ba6c8027d09c336306c51ddaab84596.jpg 

At least tried and failed, the bastards.

An opportunity to beef up security, although a cordless angry grinder with a thin cutting disc gets through a padlock in three seconds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Agila said:

At least tried and failed, the bastards.

An opportunity to beef up security, although a cordless angry grinder with a thin cutting disc gets through a padlock in three seconds.

The really scary thing is how stupid they are. They just need a screwdriver and unscrew the hinges !

16205603515176003220957848377204.thumb.jpg.cef85438a9763865e1ffc14b8e693ca8.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...