The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Like a lot of other things on this car, the unions were seized solid on the front brake lines on the Cav together with the bolts holding the flexi to the caliper.

£65 for the car to fuck off and come back with them fitted was worth it to me.

I just wish it would stop raining for 5 minutes, although we will see whether or not my reseal of the bulkhead and new scuttle panel will stop the water ingress.

I am also warming to the Tigra wheels.

20210524_164040.jpg

Moved more stuff out of my storage container and into my house and had a rubbish collector take all the left behind crap out of my garage inching towards success or something.

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Like a lot of other things on this car, the unions were seized solid on the front brake lines on the Cav together with the bolts holding the flexi to the caliper.

£65 for the car to fuck off and come back with them fitted was worth it to me.

I just wish it would stop raining for 5 minutes, although we will see whether or not my reseal of the bulkhead and new scuttle panel will stop the water ingress.

I am also warming to the Tigra wheels.

20210524_164040.jpg

That's nice that is .

The rain stopped for just long enough for me to get under the Maestro and put an exhaust bandage on the leaking flexi.  I really need a new downpipe but haven't been able to find one for a 1.3 yet.  Amazingly, the bandage has actually cured the leak and while it's not exactly the last word in refinement, at least it's not farting obscenely under throttle now.  No idea how long it'll last, hopefully long enough that it'll see me until I can get a proper replacement part.

Forgot to mention some additional car-related idiocy which occurred over the weekend.

First one was fitting a new* stereo to the Swift (a Sony CD player I'd had lying around for a while).  I couldn't fit it before as I needed a DIN to ISO aerial adaptor so I could plug the Swift's DIN aerial lead in.  Ordered one off eBay and it duly arrived.  Except when I went to fit it I discovered that the ISO plug on the back of the stereo was itself an ISO to DIN adaptor and the plug on the stereo was in fact a DIN plug all along.  So I now have two spare aerial adaptors, which I'm sure will come in handy one day...

Second one - I have been getting grumpy over the last few weeks about the lack of offside front Mini brake calipers - there are dozens of nearside calipers going cheap but for some reason far fewer offside ones.  It has just now dawned on me that the caliper I bought a month or so back thinking it was a nearside one is in fact an offside one, so I just need to buy myself a cheapo nearside one and I can get the brakes sorted.  I've only wasted about four weeks with the car immobile on the drive... :roll:

14 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Except when I went to fit it I discovered that the ISO plug on the back of the stereo was itself an ISO to DIN adaptor and the plug on the stereo was in fact a DIN plug all along. 

Sorry, but 😄

On 5/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, Spurious said:

absolute shit balls. wound down the passenger window and it fell into the door. I'm 30 miles from home and it's pissing rain. 

Fuck. 

IMG_20210523_182958.jpg

Bit late now but cling film works pretty well as a emergency window. 

6 hours ago, Spurious said:

Tyres actually aren't that expensive for common sizes to be honest. 

I got new Goodyear all seasons on 185/65/14 for £58 each corner for the Primera. Admittedly there was a 20% discount with my blue light card (message  me if you want it). Was with Tyres on the Drive (Halfords home tyre service). Didn't even have to leave the house. Brilliant. 

Similar story, the tyres were getting perished and cracked, the fronts were 15 years old. 

I can't seem to find anything on the blue light app for tyres, must have finished 

15 minutes ago, omegod said:

I can't seem to find anything on the blue light app for tyres, must have finished 

I do remember seeing something on a tyre page today. I’ve looked at longstone, merittyres, tyres on the drive and blackcircles so will be one of those.

Capri strange noises still unclear. Tried jacking the front up and nothing to be heard. It only seems to be audible on full lock left when not braking. 

Going to try bleeding the front brakes again, in case it is the new pads not properly bedded in (the front brakes aren't quite there yet, ended up with a fair bit of air in the system) and if that fails, grumble and mutter darkly and get it up on a ramp. 

The 9000 started making a hideous noise whilst slowing down (on or off the brakes) the last time I took it to work, looks like an exhaust mounting bracket has made a successful bid for freedom so the middle section is hanging low and vibrating badly on slow downs.

At least I hope it’s that! Because it’s an awful racket!

Well, at least the rear wheels turn properly again now I’ve had new brake pads on the back!

But frustrating that I still can’t use it for work tomorrow! 

11 minutes ago, N19 said:

Capri strange noises still unclear. Tried jacking the front up and nothing to be heard. It only seems to be audible on full lock left when not braking. 

Going to try bleeding the front brakes again, in case it is the new pads not properly bedded in (the front brakes aren't quite there yet, ended up with a fair bit of air in the system) and if that fails, grumble and mutter darkly and get it up on a ramp. 

It's RWD, so steering, suspension & brakes covers it.

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

mobile mechanic came out to what was told was a jump start.. and was determined to fix it and admitted defeat after an hour of trying stuff, he called in recovery truck whom got lost

Not your most productive shift, then. Am sure it could be organized better

New purchase is coming on Thursday - the chap that's got it ordered a radiator from the US for me and it's arrived, and my WBAC money comes in tomorrow so I can pay him off. He's going to drive the car down to me so we can sort out a private plate retention, which is fine. 

Q - if I do the retention online how quickly can I get a document to make up some numberplates? 

Pontiac back from brake fettling at the local American car sympathetic garage.

Turns out it was just a broken pin in the rear drum causing the shoes to “flap about a bit”

Hours Labour all it cost. They have advised new brake shoes as they’re worn which I will get done soon. 

Charged up the Rover's battery as it hadn't been used for a couple of weeks and the battery had gone flat (as usual). 🙁 On a more positive note after all the rain we've had over the last couple of weeks I'm pleased to report that the Saxo's footwell is nice and dry, in contrast to the pools of water I had to deal with at the end of last year. 🙂

I had a cursory look over the vectra - it still has an alarm problem but we are away next week so it will have to wait.

I am glad I did - the + on the battery was about to come off. Perplexed as to why this had happened I soon found the answer - 

20210525_205552.thumb.jpg.f151742017bfaee272cd722a5dffafa0.jpg

The battery clamp is held on by a bolt. The clamp states a max of only 10 nm. The bolt appears to tighten into plastic. Unbelieveable. The thread had gone.

Having had a R5 turbo that had a loose battery short out due to touching the bonnet I was a tad unhappy. Some jiggery pokery with the tray and the clamp was relocated - 

20210525_205539.thumb.jpg.4dd129a71edea300b14d0fe2a616e867.jpg

Wife states that some knocking from the front end appears to have been eliminated. And possible electrical problems.