The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

33 minutes ago, juular said:

Wouldn't that manifest as a regular dropout if the magnetic ring was damaged? I didn't have any problems pressing it in, it went in like butter.

I'm thinking more that the abs sensor clip that came with it is absolutely shocking causing the sensor to wobble. I should have put the old one back in!

Potentially, if the sensor is loose then that would likely do it. Resecure it and retry. I had assumed the sensor would remain unaffected 

However magnetic pickups on bearings won't always cause a regular dropout like on an old style reluctor ring on the end of driveshafts

Sensors need the correct air gap between the sensor and the pickup. If it's loose, or something is preventing it from seating correctly it will cause you problems. 

4 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Have been smelling the tell tale whiff of coolant when stopping with the heater on for a couple of weeks now. A root around with the torch didn't show any crusty pink crystals anywhere so I followed al the pipes about until I found the underside of the intake fanimold was damp. A look at the manual suggested it could only be the "preheating for crankcase ventilation" that I didn't know existed, which is attached to the underside of the manifold - item #13

image.thumb.png.daa00e09ade721fed8a679d4e9fb961a.png

Ordered a new one up and the various gaskets I would disturb and need to replace. Depressurise fuel system, drain coolant, remove fuel rail and injectors, throttle body and so on and so on until the manifold can be removed and access to the pre-heater achieved.

A real good laugh undoing endless electrical connectors you can barely get your fingertips on in 2° weather and drizzle but got there in the end.

IMG_20231126_132819304.thumb.jpg.4dba93195da51a62fef6579d5262889b.jpg

The preheater was indeed the cause of the issue, it had split along the seam and was leaking from there.

IMG_20231126_132830057.thumb.jpg.51041675c7a70828ce911cc07033c8bd.jpg

New one arrived (along with new throttle body sealing ring) and was fitted, awaiting the delivery of the new manifold gaskets before refitting. Could probably get away with just lashing it back on but they're on order and I don't really want to take it all off again when I find I've got a leak. About £50 all in with new coolant, which was due a change anyway, so not too bad really.

Good cars Roomsters, our 90hp diesel does everything we need a car to do.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

A new cars and coffee started this weekend… yes, in November…. A decent turn out, and a combination of chavved up Focus/3-Series and some nice cars.. 

IMG_3704.thumb.jpeg.ba94a5a84dd25397009eba5ddfc4221d.jpegIMG_3703.thumb.jpeg.2c2e0a54d991159df1e0b68d800e4a53.jpegIMG_3702.thumb.jpeg.08e3efac1db900c9a5f446a92ea79813.jpegIMG_3701.thumb.jpeg.d90da6159e42f07842ba8ff599aacce1.jpegIMG_3699.thumb.jpeg.3261e335499bca9e003b58907e5e9ad7.jpegIMG_3698.thumb.jpeg.b1d1e826b6a6c35c2431ae73a54cd712.jpegIMG_3697.thumb.jpeg.bf271aef72cb216f6201fbaef966fb0b.jpegIMG_3696.thumb.jpeg.9bab545e79c597afc0adbd73e5c4aeb2.jpegIMG_3695.thumb.jpeg.d3aa29eb91cafe0a6d8d89cd0755bd2c.jpegIMG_3693.thumb.jpeg.b30be69afa6324cd6cfcc17975164e4c.jpegIMG_3692.thumb.jpeg.fd8b8cb1e265673fb8936631ba3f2209.jpegIMG_3690.thumb.jpeg.f24cbea7cfd922ccfccef0b3a2c93954.jpeg

As a bonus on the way home I went the long way round and I spotted this! 
IMG_3707.thumb.jpeg.969fc589fc64015318fa823a69ebf799.jpegIMG_3706.thumb.jpeg.e4962835607d693b65125dccff140bb0.jpeg

Where was the meeting and the x1/9?

Had a friend (Joe) phone Saturday morning in a panic as their car is making horrible noise from the wheels on their Hyundai ix35. Could i have a look/help?
No problem, says I come straight round in it. I will have a look & laugh at your predicament.
Ok, we will pick it up from the garage it is at as they can't look at it for a week! They say...
So it needs front discs and pads as they are down to metal, not a problem. The motorfactors down the road are still open and have them in stock, so we jump in my car and go down to collect them, on the way Joe says we may as well service it while it's in bits to which I agree so we get the 3 filters and 9 Litres of oil for it! 9 litres.
All went fine, and I did the fuel filter last, which was still a Hyundai filter in it. They have owned this car coming up for 5 years and had it serviced every year with the mot at a local garage! That container was clean before use!
Filters gonna filter!
b94491f3b188f6adc48430d2fa2d0167.jpg5166bff42c29ff60661c470f30999e42.jpg

On 25/11/2023 at 17:31, brownnova said:

Why do even simple jobs not go well… 

To investigate which part of the ignition was fucked on the 2CV I cracked out the multimeter and set to checking the coil using a guide on Harley Davidson Coils online as that’s what’s been fitted as an upgrade. All fine there according to the figures on the guide. So I decided to pull the leads and get the plugs out. But one lead pulled the metal end out of its rubber sleeve and left the rubber end stuck in the hole, stuck solid. No amount of tugging and implements have freed it. So going to have to remove the wing to get a better angle.

Fucksake. 

Get a bit of dowel, blob some super glue gel on the end, push it down the hole so it presses hard against the rubber, after a couple of minutes pull it upwards, and hopefully it will all come out.

Had a reasonably productive Saturday and a somewhat crap Sunday this weekend.

First job on Saturday was to run a wheel each from the Renault 4 and 6, together with the two new tyres I bought in a Camskill clearance a couple of years back, down to the local tyre place to have them fitted.  The nearside front tyre on the 6 got a puncture a couple of months back and since then it has been on the spare, which was a remould of uncertain age.  The offside front on the 4 didn't look too bad at first glance but I noticed a couple of bulges on the inner sidewall when I was replacing the driveshaft.  So each car now has a shiny new HiFly tyre on the front.  They couldn't balance the 6's wheel as it's centreless so that might have to end up going on the back if it vibrates.

20231126_152347.thumb.jpg.c370a62e63f98a1563a8b9551a4d1b98.jpg

Then I had the fun* annual task of putting the boat and the Renault 6 away for the winter.  This involves digging the various boxes of crap and assorted tyres out of the garage and piling them in the back of the Maxus, then wheeling the boat down the road from the house on its trailer, tipping it off and leaning it up against the wall, where it's held in place by a ratchet strap to a handy nail in one of the roof beams.  If done correctly this leaves about 3" of clearance either side of the Renault once it's driven in, so I have to remember to pop the tailgate before driving in so I can clamber out through the back.  If the Renault is parked with the bumper against the back wall there is then just enough room to squeeze the Mobylette and the Spacy in behind it.  The Renault started fairly easily with a jump and I left it running for a bit to charge the battery, then switched it off.  I came back to it a little bit later and it wouldn't start - I tried various things but it eventually turned out that the little bracket that holds the end of the choke cable had come away from the carb so the choke wasn't opening and the engine was flooding.  Once I'd opened the choke flap by hand the car soon chugged back into life and drove into the garage.

This has resulted in the Innocenti being evicted from the garage to the driveway, which I'm not entirely happy about - it has a much greater chance of surviving a winter outdoors than the Renault - it's still amazingly solid for what it is - but it is nonetheless at an age where I'd really rather it was indoors over winter.  I need to try and find another garage.  In an ideal world I'd have the Volvo under cover as well but I can't really afford three garages, even if I could find them.

Today I decided to tackle the next job on the Z4, which is to replace the nearside front strut with the secondhand one I bought off eBay.  It started off pretty well - the wheel bolts had been ugga duggad pretty well so I had to jump up and down on the breaker bar to crack them off, but they all came out OK.  Even the locking wheel nut key was present and correct.  The drop link nut undid with no fuss at all - I didn't even need to hold the ball joint in place.  Then I went to undo the pinch bolt - it didn't look particularly rusty but it just snapped, despite having been doused in GT85.  So that was the end of that. 

I'm not sure what to do next - it's a long M12 bolt so drilling it out is a non-starter really, and anyway I'd probably damage the threads.  I think a secondhand hub might be the way to go, and just take the whole lot out along with the strut.  The bottom arm is new so hopefully that will come undone pretty easily - I'm not so sure about the track rod end but we shall see.  I've given everything a good squirt of Plus Gas for now but I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to getting any further with it - it certainly wasn't a job to start tackling at 2pm on a freezing Sunday afternoon with only an hour and a half of daylight left.

Then I thought I might take the Renault 4 for a drive, as it hasn't been out for a bit.  I've Lanoguarded (or the Weldstation equivalent) the underside so it should be reasonably well protected against shit winter roads.  It didn't seem to want to start though - it always takes a bit of cranking when it's been stood, not helped by the fact that the fuel line between pump and carb is longer than it should be as I fitted an inline filter, but today it wasn't showing any interest at all even though there was fuel in the filter.  It does have a bloody good battery though!  Eventually I tried flicking it over with the choke pushed in and it fired straight up, which is odd - on the coldest day since I bought it I'd expect it to need more choke than usual rather than less, but when I pulled out the choke it conked out.  Very weird.

I left it to warm up for a bit while I pumped up the back tyres, which were a bit low.  As I got back in to drive off, I noticed steam coming from under the corner of the bonnet, which seemed to be rapidly increasing in volume.  Switched off and opened the bonnet to be greeted by this.

20231126_152713.thumb.jpg.56c3cbed840f8b9645ea38530d544f56.jpg

When things had calmed down I went in for a closer look and found that it was just a split in the pipe from the expansion bottle to the top of the radiator.  The engine wasn't even that hot - the radiator fan hadn't kicked in - but on a cold day it doesn't take much to make steam.  I cut off the split end of the pipe and refitted it and took the car for a drive, and everything seemed fine except that the heater is now blowing cold, so I assume it must have pulled some air into the system.  I was running out of daylight by then so didn't look into it any further but at least everything is fairly accessible on these, unlike the 6 where the water valve is hidden in a tight space under the scuttle.

Had a bit of a win over the weekend with the modernish VW van.  Earlier this year I found the Haldex 4motion system was non-functional whenn i got stuck in the snow in a place where i have driven before with no issues.

Garage read the codes that were not visible with a generic code reader and advised the Haldex module wasn't doing what it should.  They got a quote to replace from the main dealer and checked I was sitting down beforehand - £1640 +VAT!  When we had stopped laughing it was agreed that it was OK for now, you couldn't tell it wasn't working except in the snow really.  Googling found a business in England that could repair the modules, checking around they seemed legit so got the module off the Haldex unit after a bit of a fight as it is under the van, tucked up in the driveshaft tunnel.  Sent it off special delivery and they tested it, confirmed the module circuit board was damaged due to water and quoted £180 to fix and improve by encapsulating the board to prevent further issues.    Got it back and after another fight under the van in 2 degree weather and van is driving fine.  

Need to find a muddy track or wait for the snow to test but I'm pretty confident it's sorted.  I need to change the haldex oil and filter as well but waiting for a less cold day for that one.  Recommend haldexrepairs.co.uk, seems a good business, good communications and so on.  They can fix most of the modules on VAG, Volvo and older LR stuff.

image.thumb.png.3334c341b090c8abfa6fa4383b02555b.png

18 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Potentially, if the sensor is loose then that would likely do it. Resecure it and retry. I had assumed the sensor would remain unaffected 

However magnetic pickups on bearings won't always cause a regular dropout like on an old style reluctor ring on the end of driveshafts

Sensors need the correct air gap between the sensor and the pickup. If it's loose, or something is preventing it from seating correctly it will cause you problems. 

Thankfully it was just the sensor clip. I needed to be more angry with it and tap the sensor in with a toffee hammer as the clip was so flimsy the sensor would work its way loose with a snide glance.

PXL_20231127_111508909.thumb.jpg.0cf20385e999009c4e05be81ce32c967.jpg

1 hour ago, juular said:

Thankfully it was just the sensor clip. I needed to be more angry with it and tap the sensor in with a toffee hammer as the clip was so flimsy the sensor would work its way loose with a snide glance.

PXL_20231127_111508909.thumb.jpg.0cf20385e999009c4e05be81ce32c967.jpg

My last P38 came with a similar abs fault

The sensors are supposed to be a tight push fit in the hub however the nsf was a bit sloppy,so moved out too far once some steering lock was applied.

A few quid knocked off the purchase price,and an easy fix later on at home.

5 minutes ago, andy18s said:

My last P38 came with a similar abs fault

The sensors are supposed to be a tight push fit in the hub however the nsf was a bit sloppy,so moved out too far once some steering lock was applied.

A few quid knocked off the purchase price,and an easy fix later on at home.

Yeah the ones that go through the hub are usually passive ones, easy enough to sort as you say. Sometimes just a dod of sealant is enough to fix it for quite a while.

These ones have the magnets in the bearing rather than in the sensor, and the sensor clips to the bearing.

The clips are made out of chocolate however, and the sensor sticks out, creating quite a lot of. leverage into the clip. Watching videos online most people just give the cable a quick pull and it falls out.

751111372B.jpg.a1e385f5f048b0d4d8562e4b7774dd4f.jpg

Massive win here in Southam. The town's most interesting building, which was a pharmacy until they moved next door, has finally found a business! 

Apparently an AutoShite Superstore is moving in. 

According to Mrs Grogee it's going to be a One Stop which actually now I think about it isn't interesting at all. 

20231126_163358.jpg

7 minutes ago, grogee said:

Massive win here in Southam. The town's most interesting building, which was a pharmacy until they moved next door, has finally found a business! 

According to Mrs Grogee it's going to be a One Stop which actually now I think about it isn't interesting at all. 

20231126_163358.jpg

AS superstore for the win.

One stop shop for all the Beige and bASe you could possibly want, wonder if they will expand into other towns?

5 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

AS superstore for the win.

One stop shop for all the Beige and bASe you could possibly want, wonder if they will expand into other towns?

I’m imagining them as a bit like aldi, groceries and the odd arc welder or range of oil filters.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

20231126_163358.jpg

Ace! Next time I'm over in Daventry (be 2024 now) we can take the circuitous route home and pick up something beige.

22 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Had a reasonably productive Saturday and a somewhat crap Sunday this weekend.

First job on Saturday was to run a wheel each from the Renault 4 and 6, together with the two new tyres I bought in a Camskill clearance a couple of years back, down to the local tyre place to have them fitted.  The nearside front tyre on the 6 got a puncture a couple of months back and since then it has been on the spare, which was a remould of uncertain age.  The offside front on the 4 didn't look too bad at first glance but I noticed a couple of bulges on the inner sidewall when I was replacing the driveshaft.  So each car now has a shiny new HiFly tyre on the front.  They couldn't balance the 6's wheel as it's centreless so that might have to end up going on the back if it vibrates.

20231126_152347.thumb.jpg.c370a62e63f98a1563a8b9551a4d1b98.jpg

Then I had the fun* annual task of putting the boat and the Renault 6 away for the winter.  This involves digging the various boxes of crap and assorted tyres out of the garage and piling them in the back of the Maxus, then wheeling the boat down the road from the house on its trailer, tipping it off and leaning it up against the wall, where it's held in place by a ratchet strap to a handy nail in one of the roof beams.  If done correctly this leaves about 3" of clearance either side of the Renault once it's driven in, so I have to remember to pop the tailgate before driving in so I can clamber out through the back.  If the Renault is parked with the bumper against the back wall there is then just enough room to squeeze the Mobylette and the Spacy in behind it.  The Renault started fairly easily with a jump and I left it running for a bit to charge the battery, then switched it off.  I came back to it a little bit later and it wouldn't start - I tried various things but it eventually turned out that the little bracket that holds the end of the choke cable had come away from the carb so the choke wasn't opening and the engine was flooding.  Once I'd opened the choke flap by hand the car soon chugged back into life and drove into the garage.

This has resulted in the Innocenti being evicted from the garage to the driveway, which I'm not entirely happy about - it has a much greater chance of surviving a winter outdoors than the Renault - it's still amazingly solid for what it is - but it is nonetheless at an age where I'd really rather it was indoors over winter.  I need to try and find another garage.  In an ideal world I'd have the Volvo under cover as well but I can't really afford three garages, even if I could find them.

Today I decided to tackle the next job on the Z4, which is to replace the nearside front strut with the secondhand one I bought off eBay.  It started off pretty well - the wheel bolts had been ugga duggad pretty well so I had to jump up and down on the breaker bar to crack them off, but they all came out OK.  Even the locking wheel nut key was present and correct.  The drop link nut undid with no fuss at all - I didn't even need to hold the ball joint in place.  Then I went to undo the pinch bolt - it didn't look particularly rusty but it just snapped, despite having been doused in GT85.  So that was the end of that. 

I'm not sure what to do next - it's a long M12 bolt so drilling it out is a non-starter really, and anyway I'd probably damage the threads.  I think a secondhand hub might be the way to go, and just take the whole lot out along with the strut.  The bottom arm is new so hopefully that will come undone pretty easily - I'm not so sure about the track rod end but we shall see.  I've given everything a good squirt of Plus Gas for now but I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to getting any further with it - it certainly wasn't a job to start tackling at 2pm on a freezing Sunday afternoon with only an hour and a half of daylight left.

Then I thought I might take the Renault 4 for a drive, as it hasn't been out for a bit.  I've Lanoguarded (or the Weldstation equivalent) the underside so it should be reasonably well protected against shit winter roads.  It didn't seem to want to start though - it always takes a bit of cranking when it's been stood, not helped by the fact that the fuel line between pump and carb is longer than it should be as I fitted an inline filter, but today it wasn't showing any interest at all even though there was fuel in the filter.  It does have a bloody good battery though!  Eventually I tried flicking it over with the choke pushed in and it fired straight up, which is odd - on the coldest day since I bought it I'd expect it to need more choke than usual rather than less, but when I pulled out the choke it conked out.  Very weird.

I left it to warm up for a bit while I pumped up the back tyres, which were a bit low.  As I got back in to drive off, I noticed steam coming from under the corner of the bonnet, which seemed to be rapidly increasing in volume.  Switched off and opened the bonnet to be greeted by this.

20231126_152713.thumb.jpg.56c3cbed840f8b9645ea38530d544f56.jpg

When things had calmed down I went in for a closer look and found that it was just a split in the pipe from the expansion bottle to the top of the radiator.  The engine wasn't even that hot - the radiator fan hadn't kicked in - but on a cold day it doesn't take much to make steam.  I cut off the split end of the pipe and refitted it and took the car for a drive, and everything seemed fine except that the heater is now blowing cold, so I assume it must have pulled some air into the system.  I was running out of daylight by then so didn't look into it any further but at least everything is fairly accessible on these, unlike the 6 where the water valve is hidden in a tight space under the scuttle.

Nice shite juggling boss. Keep up the good work.