The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Payday tomorrow. It's the time of the month where I see money flowing in and a surprising amount of money flowing out. 

£200 will go into thin air to pay for Boxster+TT road tax and 2 bays of storage. At least the £290 for the small loan I took on for Mrs SiC Civic (so cheap to have a loan that didn't make sense to go into savings) is paying off that asset. Insurance I pay as one lump yearly but that works out as an additional £100pcm.

So £300 as a minimum burning into fresh air on cars. Then parts + MOT + servicing to keep them running. I reckon £500 a month on cars. That's without the fuel.

Which is fine if I enjoyed them. But...

- Boxster has done 1k miles this year. Maybe I'll hit 2k by the year out.

- MGB hasn't moved a wheel this year at all. 

- Spitfire is fun but hasn't moved in at least a month.

- Midget I haven't done much on in the last few months

- Dolomite moved to storage and I've not worked on in 2 years. This is taking up a £72pcm storage bay. 

That's not exact getting much fun out of what I'm spending the £6k a year or more on.

I think a fleet cull is going to happen very soon. The Boxster and MGB are at the front of the firing line. Both owned for 4+ years so had a lot of fun out of them. Possibly the TT as well, to save on car tax and get one modern for myself instead.

That £6k per year could go towards something automotive I would have a lot more fun with. Whether towards a decent loan for something more exotic or even something cheaper and sticking into traditional investments.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Payday tomorrow. It's the time of the month where I see money flowing in and a surprising amount of money flowing out. 

£200 will go into thin air to pay for Boxster+TT road tax and 2 bays of storage. At least the £290 for the small loan I took on for Mrs SiC Civic (so cheap to have a loan that didn't make sense to go into savings) is paying off that asset. Insurance I pay as one lump yearly but that works out as an additional £100pcm.

So £300 as a minimum burning into fresh air on cars. Then parts + MOT + servicing to keep them running. I reckon £500 a month on cars. That's without the fuel.

Which is fine if I enjoyed them. But...

- Boxster has done 1k miles this year. Maybe I'll hit 2k by the year out.

- MGB hasn't moved a wheel this year at all. 

- Spitfire is fun but hasn't moved in at least a month.

- Midget I haven't done much on in the last few months

- Dolomite moved to storage and I've not worked on in 2 years. This is taking up a £72pcm storage bay. 

That's not exact getting much fun out of what I'm spending the £6k a year or more on.

I think a fleet cull is going to happen very soon. The Boxster and MGB are at the front of the firing line. Both owned for 4+ years so had a lot of fun out of them. Possibly the TT as well, to save on car tax and get one modern for myself instead.

That £6k per year could go towards something automotive I would have a lot more fun with. Whether towards a decent loan for something more exotic or even something cheaper and sticking into traditional investments.

I did something similar,

Thirsty ageing E class - gone 

Depreciating Z900RS that did 1k a year - gone

Council garage rental - gone

old 207 runaround - gone

308CC 25mpg round town - gone

Saved me about 300/month in insurance/tax/depreciation

I bought a Volt and pay zero road tax and fuel for free at Sainsbury's mostly, not quite worked out what to do with the savings yet.

I think I will be giving the Boxster a good wash and polish for photos this weekend, with the intention of putting it up for sale. It's not as if they are rare enough that I can't buy another one if I want one in the future. Admittedly this one is a good clean example and a good price for that, so probably would have to spend more. 

But I've owned it nearly 5 years now and it simply doesn't get used enough to justify it sitting on the drive. 

Then taking the BGT out of storage next week to decide if that stays or the Spitfire stays. Almost certainly the Spitfire as it's still new, fun and different.

Pop round missus House... she goes out too walk the dog, come back and says looks like spare wheel is low... well seems the system mechanism has failed.seems TADTS..and wheel dropping... and then I noticed the rear box is disconnected..ffs....so as its the only safe car I got I've whip off the wheel and stored inside and took the wobbly rear box off to stop it falling off and dangerous others..

IMG-20230727-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20230727-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230727-WA0013.jpg

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

Pop round missus House... she goes out too walk the dog, come back and says looks like spare wheel is low... well seems the system mechanism has failed.seems TADTS..and wheel dropping... and then I noticed the rear box is disconnected..ffs....so as its the only safe car I got I've whip off the wheel and stored inside and took the wobbly rear box off to stop it falling off and dangerous others..

IMG-20230727-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20230727-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230727-WA0013.jpg

just ordered from cats 4 u, £59 delivered

When you own lots of cars key storage can be a nightmare. Ours were all in a plastic tub in theory… 

It was our wedding anniversary this week and a friend made us a gift it was a key ring holder with numbered key rings

IMG_2220.jpeg

The only thing now was to decide an order for which car got which number… after a few false starts it was decided to be in order of how long they have been owned.

IMG_2221.jpeg

Our friend very kindly allowed for up to 12 sets of keys… and did 9 key rings… which is surely excuse enough for another purchase!

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Screenshot_20230729-122644.png.403c92271f2b71f0d2ae9578cdc0eefc.png

:shock:

Ten years of shite. 

I’m about 6 months behind you. I went on holiday and decided to properly get a break I’d switch off all social media including AS off for the time I was away. Honestly FB, Twitter and Instagram I didn’t miss at all. But the only one I had to actually resist the urge to look at was AS. 

13 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I didn't think it was possible but your brother makes you look like a shortarse (and Steph like a child!).  Didn't realise you were going, I'd have kept an eye out for you.

I did see a few shiters in the distance but didn’t want to disrupt conversations and videoing. Pretty sure I saw @Kiltox, @Vin and @Grey the Floydian Sergal

26 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Wot, no AS branded clothing to sport at such events?

Someone made some beige AS hoodies and mugs at some point in the past, possibly catsinthewelder.

Wasn't at FOTU today as I was out having dinner with mum and dad, as in the space of a week they turn 60 and 75 respectively. We took the IS200, which firmly impressed both of them.

However it thanked me by dropping the rear exhaust heatshield so it's just sitting on top of the backbox clattering around, and it turns out some cunt has scuffed one of the front corners while it's been parked somewhere. :(

If it's dry it's gettting new discs and pads tomorrow, I did get wiper blades for it too but my mate ordered them and ECP have sent those weird non-universal Aerotwins, a problem I've had before.

23 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Took dad for belated father’s day/birthday day out to FOTU. Some pretty good automotive tat on display.

IMG_3207.thumb.jpeg.6ee6e917fd33dbed9b342e350998cd9c.jpeg

IMG_3195.thumb.jpeg.a48efad897f70a4cdd293a7ca5119769.jpeg

IMG_3213.thumb.jpeg.b06342889bd54f18359a2054737c02c1.jpeg

my dad distracted Steph @Idriveaclassicto have a phot with his two little boys. Sorry Steph if Alex and I made you feel intimidated!

ac7c124b-3a62-4d19-ae84-64f266c61f2e.thumb.jpeg.faeb0a4868a610f9478d2dd1b2151592.jpeg

I see your Samba Convertible  - but raise you a Renault 15,16 and 17*.

20230730_115401.thumb.jpg.9f4f021ac1b641f9c4bf3eebc0d1baa8.jpg

*I am in France tho at the moment.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:08 PM, SiC said:

I think I will be giving the Boxster a good wash and polish for photos this weekend, with the intention of putting it up for sale. It's not as if they are rare enough that I can't buy another one if I want one in the future. Admittedly this one is a good clean example and a good price for that, so probably would have to spend more. 

But I've owned it nearly 5 years now and it simply doesn't get used enough to justify it sitting on the drive. 

Then taking the BGT out of storage next week to decide if that stays or the Spitfire stays. Almost certainly the Spitfire as it's still new, fun and different.

The cars to keep are the ones you want to drive. 

This month I am using my Citroen C15 and Mercedes 260E.

Except...

The Mercedes has not turned a wheel as every time I go out I take the C15 - which does just about everything the Mercedes does and is fun to drive.

41 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Enjoy an unrestored Pre-War Renault I saw:

20230723_095508.jpg

Had no idea what that was, know nothing of Renaults from this era.  A quick online search suggests it's a late 30s Vivaquatre.  Looks a good ten years younger than it really is if that's the case.  Do like the single rear lamp, presumably it was an optional extra to have a pair on the back.