The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

In not car related me news, I'm currently sat in a hedge in eastern Europe, using somebody's un-pasworded wifi, having been given two hours to leave the property I have been looking after/doing work at for nine months by the owners lawyer earlier today, who in her words said the owner had'gone mental and needed to sell everything'.

I have no money and no food and am currently wondering where to pitch my tent up before I probably try to hitchhike back to the UK or summat.

More importantly, I have grabbed three cracking spots today that will get posted when the wifi gods decree.

Shit man! Not sure how I can help. I'm currently living hand to mouth due to works pay going down and work being a little sparse.

If you do make it back to the UK, you are more than welcome to crash at mine. If I can help financially soon, I will. Western Union is a good way to send cash, I do this quite regularly for Mrs_Sterling.

Ah, pointless night drives....favourit pastime of the depressed and lonely. I havent done this sort of thing for a long time - just driving for the sake of it.

Anyway, took the wee Panda out for a blezz.

Got off to a cracking start by scraping the corner of the bumper on the garage wall trying to maneuver it out past the Metro.

post-17837-0-59832900-1493061632_thumb.jpg

meh, adds character. Or something.

Found myself down a wee road that runs through the middle of an active quarry.

post-17837-0-68315300-1493061572_thumb.jpg

Fiat electrics.....only one dipped beam works. Only one main beam works too....obviously the opposite side to the working dip for maximum wonkiness.

post-17837-0-78705000-1493061581_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-11110200-1493061590_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-13153700-1493061595_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-13097900-1493061604_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-75950500-1493061618_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-19185100-1493061626_thumb.jpg

I thought about trying a bit of 4x4 One Life Live etc etc on the massive piles of gravel, but decided best not in case I got stuck or tipped it over or something typically dumb like that which I seem to excel at.

The engine sounds terrible when hot though - Its not getting worse but its really quite bad. I have decided I like the car after all so I reckon if I can find a cheap donor I will pull a Cinquecento engine swap.

I filled the ZR with petrol today and for the 1st time since I have owned it was not fooled by the petrol gauge picture of a pipe on the right when it is a left fill car.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

and/or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1280536/Has-motoring-writer-solved-riddle-plagued-drivers-decades.html

Eyes went super-wonky yesterday and the prospect of removing the fan pulley on the Volvo just to replace the timing belt cover wasn't making me happy. FPB7 came over and helped and it was done in minutes, many of them spent swearing at the person who designed the fan and pulley.

Then we started on freeing off a stuck brake.

post-19568-0-16137700-1493105654_thumb.jpg

^^ Wasn't the Bulgarian shiter called sealtainn or similar? Iirc he relocated from the Shetland isles to Bulgaria complete with Granada mk3 ghia ( ex j.white/Essex man/robt)

Aaah, Sealtanin. Not heard from him in a while.

I remember roughly a year ago when I helped* him in the Sprinter bus caper. Rml2345 drove it up to Aberdeen from Glasgow after Seal had bought it over the phone. He then immediately took it up to Shetland on the ferry from Aberdeen and used it as his main 'moving to Bulgaria' vehicle. IIRC it had something like 500k km on it at the time. :D

I just hung about in the Omega providing company and a warm car to sit in.

Nippa had a tough day. I've taken the S-MX for some wheel refurbishment (you lot are going to hate it), so cadged a lift home with Mrs DW. After she'd done our six-weekly shop. That meant that the boot was full, as was the rear seat, and the footwells. Thankfully, the misfire wasn't so bad today (dry and new plugs seem to be helping), so it gamely tackled the big hills with that rather appealing three-pot noise. Very fizzy.

In fact, it was doing so well I rather forgot about the shopping. Until it came to braking. Jeepers! A big shop makes rather a difference to a lightweight car...

That's a Bini thing isn't it?

Various cars have the arrow. I have had-

Jeep

Land Rover (Disco)

Among others that did,

Also, cleverly, my current Mondeo has the arrow within the low fuel light.

The side the pipe is on in the wee picture has fook all relation to the filler side - that is a popular urban myth - although it obviously can be "right" for some cars, that is accident, not design.

In not car related me news, I'm currently sat in a hedge in eastern Europe, using somebody's un-pasworded wifi, having been given two hours to leave the property I have been looking after/doing work at for nine months by the owners lawyer earlier today, who in her words said the owner had'gone mental and needed to sell everything'.

I have no money and no food and am currently wondering where to pitch my tent up before I probably try to hitchhike back to the UK or summat.

More importantly, I have grabbed three cracking spots today that will get posted when the wifi gods decree.

Only just seen this Alex....

You still in the area?

Pmd you

Ahoy! Not visited these shores for a while, wanted to catch up a little while a go but everything had disappeared off the face of the earth. Where's the garage gone..?

Fleet update;

Sold the Crapi after it refuse to love me back.

Bought an XJ6 SPORT* for £300 (new owners/ PXs, apply within)

post-4106-0-07954300-1493128120_thumb.jpg

Started doing this to my Landy because it definitely needed 4 times the power it left the factory with in 1952

post-4106-0-02076200-1493128170_thumb.jpg

This local ZX is on the road but never moves. The local yoof have stoved in a side window, now covered with bin liner. The old boy who owns this also has a decaying Chevette behind his fence, but can't get a shot of that! 1,200 miles in last 8 years.

post-20084-0-26022200-1493130396_thumb.jpg

Nippa had a tough day. I've taken the S-MX for some wheel refurbishment (you lot are going to hate it), so cadged a lift home with Mrs DW. After she'd done our six-weekly shop. That meant that the boot was full, as was the rear seat, and the footwells. Thankfully, the misfire wasn't so bad today (dry and new plugs seem to be helping), so it gamely tackled the big hills with that rather appealing three-pot noise. Very fizzy.

In fact, it was doing so well I rather forgot about the shopping. Until it came to braking. Jeepers! A big shop makes rather a difference to a lightweight car...

Daimlers have a good sized boot!

As well as perving over old Princess';s and Cresta's me and my mate went on a treasure hunt for this Drive it day thing, meeting at Saxmundham and finishing at Framingham Castle we had to go across the countryside finding clues in his Marina whilst i wrote the answers down, It was a bloody good laugh and unsurprisingly we didn't win, even though we got to the castle first!

It was a lovely venue to finish at though and a pint of old Rosie  and a fish finger sandwich in the pub next door went down a treat! Anyway here's some photos of the other cars in the hunt.

attachicon.gifIMG_1944.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1945.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1951.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1966.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1952.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1954.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1957.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1955.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1958.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1956.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1961.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1959.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1962.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1960.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1964.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1965.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1967.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1968.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1969.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1970.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1974.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1971.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1975.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1972.JPG

We also found ourselves chatting the owner of this old village garage which was the local BL garage in the 70's, they said the apprentice joined at 15 and he's retiring soon at 65! That's a long service!

attachicon.gifIMG_1986.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1985.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1988.JPG

That XR2 is lush!