The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Volvo 740 refused to start yesterday - catching, firing, backfiring, nowt. Changed the injector seals because they needed doing anyway, but now trying to suss out which thing to check first.

If it starts it'll rev fine, but won't idle - needs lots of throttle. Being an auto this means it's stranded. No signs of misbehaviour before. My head says ignition/timing, my gut says fuel pump. I've taken the cover off to check the belt timing but that's actually more involved than I thought so I may as well put a timing belt on, IF I can move the car into the workshop!

Massive manifold air leak somewhere . Wouldn't rev it it was fuel starvation . I'd be checking carb base ( if it's not injected ) , vac pipes , air inlet after maf sensor etc etc

• Like 1

Despite the labelling of "drive it day" I did very little driving. I did drive onto a nearby industrial estate where a rover 25 has been left with a message stating clutch gone, arranging recovery. I put it in the spotted tread a few weeks back and it's still there. Because compulsive behaviour I left a message under the windscreen with my number on....

post-4673-0-86804000-1492974100_thumb.jpg

I may pass by in the morning and swipe the message off the car as really I can do without a knackered rover 25.

Weekend news:

I had to get a trailer out of shed 2 which meant moving the omega.

post-5582-0-47360900-1492976171_thumb.jpg

Predictably the battery was dead, but a defibrillation from the Santa Fe brought it back to life. I had forgotten how nice it was. It's been sat neglected for months and yet it's still moted. Shame on me.

I had to fill in a hole in the ground so the old hymac was coaxed into action.

post-5582-0-90786500-1492976252_thumb.jpg.

After filling in the hole, I had a play at levelling some rough ground. I was working o a slope at the top of a very big hill and got cocky trying to manoeuvre the old beast with the back actor while facing out the back window. Mild panic verging on squeaky bum time followed as it almost took off backwards down the hill. I managed to spin round and hit the brakes by which time it had picked up speed to approx. 3 mph.

I then jumped on the much safer davie broon to try out my new implement, the grubber.

post-5582-0-99760500-1492976854_thumb.jpg

I also have a set of harrows, so much farming will be happening soon.

All this fun was a welcome respite from the main thing that occupies my evenings and weekends.

Building my new garage

post-5582-0-75850600-1492977060_thumb.jpg

It's nearly there.

As well as perving over old Princess';s and Cresta's me and my mate went on a treasure hunt for this Drive it day thing, meeting at Saxmundham and finishing at Framingham Castle we had to go across the countryside finding clues in his Marina whilst i wrote the answers down, It was a bloody good laugh and unsurprisingly we didn't win, even though we got to the castle first!

It was a lovely venue to finish at though and a pint of old Rosie  and a fish finger sandwich in the pub next door went down a treat! Anyway here's some photos of the other cars in the hunt.

post-3625-0-68556300-1492978005_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-98062100-1492978014_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-60052300-1492978020_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-12879200-1492978041_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-94980500-1492978025_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-06036300-1492978035_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-85929000-1492978058_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-55902000-1492978047_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-64152100-1492978064_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-02213800-1492978054_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-89971800-1492978074_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-62040000-1492978069_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-66963300-1492978089_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-53944200-1492978083_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-97955100-1492978094_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-88969000-1492978104_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-12042400-1492978112_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-66647400-1492978117_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-90385000-1492978124_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-68969000-1492978130_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-21159100-1492978154_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-56083000-1492978136_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-96097800-1492978159_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-09398300-1492978142_thumb.jpg

We also found ourselves chatting the owner of this old village garage which was the local BL garage in the 70's, they said the apprentice joined at 15 and he's retiring soon at 65! That's a long service!

post-3625-0-82845600-1492978306_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-80067500-1492978302_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-97489900-1492978312_thumb.jpg

Massive manifold air leak somewhere . Wouldn't rev it it was fuel starvation . I'd be checking carb base ( if it's not injected ) , vac pipes , air inlet after maf sensor etc etc

That was my first thought - it sounds like it's sucking air in, too, but pipes look okay. I might get someone to gun it while I look around.

It is why I did the injector seals. It's been idling high but no sound of hissing before.

Took the 75 V6 down for a night away with the OH. We have a habit of having a couple of nights every month in a posh* hotel somewhere an hour or two away from home as we both work ridiculously long hours and it's a bit of respite. Previously we've always taken the diesel 75, but I was confident enough in the V6 to take it out.

Really nice drive there and back. The car knew exactly what was required of it - it carried its role off with aplomb and its character really shone through. We must be bonding.

(Yes, I know cars do not have personalities. I'm not mental*)

With Drive-it-Day looming I got an online quote from Footman James for the 205 GTi and thought it was quite reasonable. I then went to Lancaster to compare and they were nearly half the price. When Lancaster called me back I asked them to pull a quote together for the Peugeot and the Midget and they came in well below 200 quid for both cars, 4000 miles for the pug and 2000 for the MG.

Insurance sorted I kicked the tyres on the 205, put some fuel in and covered 150 miles through Staffordshire today. There were some nice and interesting cars out today, I got a thumbs up from a giffer in an old Riley and saw a lovely XK120.

Got back to fettle the Kallista this afternoon, just a week away to planned handover. I hope to find time to update the Kallista thread soon.

Spent the weekend building my Capri its own house!

IMG_0439_zpsx6vofwxc.jpg

Getting it level has been a bit of a pain. Your meant to build a concrete base for it but my driveway has a very old and very thick concrete pad below the tarmac which is well up to the task so instead of waste time, effort and money ripping it all up just to re lay a new one I've just sat it on the old. It's needed to be levelled off using some big pressure treated beams under it and some extra concrete here and there but it's rock solid.

I had to repair the fence behind it first too. The old posts were rotten so they've been replaced, a few of the fence panels were changed for new and the whole things been painted since access to it will be impossible after the garage is done.

It's easy to build being a log cabin type kit but some of the 'logs' were warped causing the small sections on one side of the double doors to bend away. Shouldn't cause any trouble though as the door frame will attach to them and pull them back square again. Loads left to do but it's getting there.

It's a mere 200mm longer inside than the mk2 Capri btw, so it's a snug fit but it will go in! At 10' wide though I'll have a bit of storage room at one side at least without it getting in the cars way.

IMG_0439_zpsx6vofwxc.jpg

I like that very much.  I went for a concrete slab garage which I then insulated as the tin roof was like a heat soak.  Yours is particularly good as it can be taken down.  Had I known the trouble I'd have with drive parking I would have paved the back garden and not blocked access with the garage.

• Like 2

Just secured a spare set of Favorit seats from the Kent marshes. Will go and collect over the bank holiday!

Romney Marsh?  I can help if needed.

For Drive It Day, I fitted a centre console to the BMW 316 which incorporates an arm rest (luxury!) then drove it from Turriff to Aberdeen.

Does that count? Fuck it, it does to me. None of the super-fun treasure hunts and things from above though. :(

Nippa servicing. The car is almost smaller than the ratchet.

C-LIVuXXUAEsIel.jpg

The plugs are DISGUSTING. They've done 4000 miles and 13 months, not been dropped in the sea as it appears.

18118597_10155233319248200_7806350758323

Found the source of the misfire though. You could hear the arcing of electricity from the leads when it was damp first thing. New HT leads and dizzy cap on order. From Germany FFS. Even so, the service seems to have zinged up this car nicely. It's a little flying machine now. Well, relatively speaking...

Volvo running again (and smoother/lower idle when warm due to injector seals I think) having got someone else to crank it while listening for airleaks.

Found a big bloody obvious once you know it's there hose had fallen off. Maybe an anti-runon valve? Anyway the hose goes to the underside of the manifold and all attempts to feel around for loose hoses or unoccupied connections had failed to spot it.

Of course, now I need to take the water pump pulley off to get the timing belt cover back on (the misfire/backfire had convinced me it must be timing). Had I had an assistant the first time it did it it would have been solved in seconds!

• Like 2

In not car related me news, I'm currently sat in a hedge in eastern Europe, using somebody's un-pasworded wifi, having been given two hours to leave the property I have been looking after/doing work at for nine months by the owners lawyer earlier today, who in her words said the owner had'gone mental and needed to sell everything'.

I have no money and no food and am currently wondering where to pitch my tent up before I probably try to hitchhike back to the UK or summat.

More importantly, I have grabbed three cracking spots today that will get posted when the wifi gods decree.

In not car related me news, I'm currently sat in a hedge in eastern Europe, using somebody's un-pasworded wifi, having been given two hours to leave the property I have been looking after/doing work at for nine months by the owners lawyer earlier today, who in her words said the owner had'gone mental and needed to sell everything'.

I have no money and no food and am currently wondering where to pitch my tent up before I probably try to hitchhike back to the UK or summat.

More importantly, I have grabbed three cracking spots today that will get posted when the wifi gods decree.

Oh shit!

Aren't there a couple of other shiters in Bulgaria / that neck of the woods? They'd be relatively closer than us lot in the UK.

Otherwise, AS rescue mission to eastern Europe? We might reach you sometime next year once we've dealt with all the FTPs en route.

• Like 2

I thought you had your own plot and "house to be" there?

The Field of Dreams is always available to camp!

That's bad news, i can only offer help as part of a shiter relay to get you somewhere once your in the UK though. Didn't you buy a bit of woodland over there recently? Can't you dismantle lots of mental owners current house and build yourself a shelter?

Don't we have another bulgarian member though? Struggling to remember his name but he won my miele roffle that RM promptly fucked up on a few years ago...

Not the ideal car for the lanes of Wales but following the Vitesse misfire I have spent last weekend driving around Wales with two different groups in my Citroen DS. Really good weekend.

post-4787-0-46444400-1493052239_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-86560100-1493052260_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-58325700-1493052279_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

^^ Wasn't the Bulgarian shiter called sealtainn or similar? Iirc he relocated from the Shetland isles to Bulgaria complete with Granada mk3 ghia ( ex j.white/Essex man/robt)

Pmed you

^^ Wasn't the Bulgarian shiter called sealtainn or similar? Iirc he relocated from the Shetland isles to Bulgaria complete with Granada mk3 ghia ( ex j.white/Essex man/robt)

That's the chap! Although I don't know Bulgaria, so he could be several hundred miles away, but probably your best bet for a dry place to kip for a few days whilst you go all angry over the situation