What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

So he was pretty lucky.....

I think that's true of a number of his "inventions". Some of the stuff he's done is really bloody scary. The pulse-jet engines being the most frightening for me.

I love his bunker though. Still don't understand why it had a ladder and not a staircase to get into it though, he had plenty of space.

Some councils don't allow the storage of cars...........

Only just spotted this. Erm, that would be rather pointless wouldn't it!? This seems to be renting from the same private company that now does about half of the "council" rented flats in the area, so not direct with the council. The only proviso that I can find so far on any of the information is that the garages do not come with an electricty supply (which I would have been stunned if they did).

Unfortunately the row of garages I'm looking at is just too far away from home to be able to run a cable out, so an old car battery and 12v LED lighting it is. I might even see if I can get hold of a few 12V Lead-acids, as I've got a 3phase Variable Speed Drive somewhere which can accept a direct DC feed and it doesn't need balanced loads on the phases so it could fairly easily operate as a single phase inverter for some smallish 240V loads.

Assuming I get one of course. Not heard anything yet.

I seem to recall someone on here had that issue. The council he rented a lock up off complained he had a car in it & threatened to kick him out.

How strange. The housing association I rent a lockup from states in the tenancy agreement that it is to be used for storing a "motor vehicle".

I'm curious to know what the bloke at the end of my block has in his unit. He's fitted two big locks and apparently won't open the door if anyone else is around...

How strange. The housing association I rent a lockup from states in the tenancy agreement that it is to be used for storing a "motor vehicle".

I'm curious to know what the bloke at the end of my block has in his unit. He's fitted two big locks and apparently won't open the door if anyone else is around...

My uncle was a planning officer in That Chelsmley Wood in the late 50s and 60s.

It was decided that every dwelling would have a lock up garage which would even be useful if you didn't have a car.

Obviously someone in finance decided that they could reduce rents if people paid separately for them.

Having ground down the rust blebs, Kurust and primered the wheel arches on the MX-5 I searched the car for info on the paint code for the top coat. Nothing.

Internet wisdom says that Mazda didn't provide paint code info on the cars of this era. Great. Do able through dealers etc but CBA. Neighbour has a Hyundai that looked a very similar silver so found the paint code on that.

Hyundai Sleek Silver.

£6.99 from Halfords then some clear coat already in the shed.

Looks ok to me. Apart from the insect. That was free though.

Difference is visible in certain lights/angles but good enough. Just the sill rot to deal with soon....

post-5532-0-31362400-1535728352_thumb.jpeg

The housing association I have my garage from say the same thing. Even ask for a reg plate.

I questioned them on this. It was down to if they advertise for use as general storage, if there was a leak then they get complaints as being unsuitable for such use.

Out of the block of garages I use, I'm only one of two who appear to store a car in it!

Ended up following an M reg ZX three door home this evening, never seen it before. Even in the 323, the guy at the helm of the ZX was faster round bends.....the really odd sweeping long and narrow turn he took through a roundabout notwithstanding.

I turned to my other half and said 'y'know if a really tidy Volcane comes up for sale, I am so buying it'.

I haven't lost the need for old French tat yet.

Having ground down the rust blebs, Kurust and primered the wheel arches on the MX-5 I searched the car for info on the paint code for the top coat. Nothing.

Internet wisdom says that Mazda didn't provide paint code info on the cars of this era. Great. Do able through dealers etc but CBA. Neighbour has a Hyundai that looked a very similar silver so found the paint code on that.

Hyundai Sleek Silver.

£6.99 from Halfords then some clear coat already in the shed.

Looks ok to me. Apart from the insect. That was free though.

Difference is visible in certain lights/angles but good enough. Just the sill rot to deal with soon....

image.jpeg

Well done. Silver is an absolute arse to match even with the code.

I've got one of those - very good.  I broke it using it on a stainless pipe I didn't realise was stainless.

Fucking useless piece of shit. Stripped the thread first turn ....!!!  The nut on the end is all of 1/8"  thick , maybe 2 whole threads.. and i'm being generous . So...  

I only have a BSW tap and die set that large , so i made a new  longer nut , and ran a die down the bolt part . That fixed it . Sadly the thing failed though on the spreader bar  part... the wedges force it apart at the ends ok ,but not the middle so its now waisted,  looking banana shape !!!!  And the pipe is only a few thou bigger !  Can go in the bin , or might do for turning pipe in me lathe , expanding mandrel 

My grin is hearing "The Price Of Love" by the Everly brothers - I had no idea the Bryan Ferry version wasn't the original - and though I liked the Ferry one, the original is far far better and not at all what I'd expected from the Everlys.

Brian Ferry  got cool sun glasses . I want some ,but i expect they're expensive  :-(

I have been largely ignoring shite this summer as for a couple of years my wife and I have been going through the process of becoming adoptive parents. For the past few months, this meant more work on the house and less on the cars. Well we are currently getting to know a little boy and he will be living with us in a few days.

The grin, today I fixed one of his toys. It was a fiat 500 that vibrates and makes noise. It had random electrical issues that were traced to a weak battery.