Amelia's Automotive Adventures - Private dancer

Amelia

Sadly we've had our first falling out due to me leaving the interior light on!

IMG20240201173505.thumb.jpg.22bfc4ea7282f24c0dcbd65dec0450f6.jpg

Got jump started by a neighbour but as I went to pull away.....

IMG20240201174659.thumb.jpg.0f19ca6ede0554f24b66392daff3e21b.jpg

Oh.

I didn't want to turn it off, so soldiered on with really heavy steering. Turned it off on the A127 and did a rolling bump start and all is well now. 🤦‍♀️

Totally different car but my wife's panda has electric steering and if it's sat for a week or more it will always start but will throw up the orange steering light. It's a common issue on the panda as the steering likes a fully charged battery. Light goes off after a few miles and stays off if the car is used regularly. If there's a genuine fault the steering light comes on red. Could be the same with the fox??

Would think there could well be a battery issue.Scarlett,as she is now named,had very little use in recent times and if the battery had been flattened as well.I'd either give the battery a good  charging or just replace it, whichever was most convenient to do.Probably done more miles in the the last couple of days than in the last year! Regarding the steering electric hydraulic steering and electric steering are very different.Should be a good little car for Amelia.Not my place to mention money,but she shouldn't lose out on it if she needs to move it on when circumstances change for the better,ie another company car.

22 minutes ago, red5 said:

Volkswagen
Fox
KN58RZL
Engine code: BKR
(5Z1)
55 kW (75hp) 5600 rpm
R-Cat (2005-2011)

They hide the 'power' well. 

Should be very unstressed then.My Zafira has around 140 hp from 1.4 litres.Mind ,I can remember when everyone got excited about the1275 Mini Cooper S with 75 bhp.

Probably just wanted a slug of juice into the battery, use it regularly and take it for the odd decent run and the steering should be OK. I had the same issue with the E-Pas in a Punto when the battery was dying.
At just over the tonne it's fairly heavy for such a small car so maybe that's why it doesn't feel especially sprightly with only 75bhp.

Most modern cars use some sort of can network for the various modules to communicate, an Epas system will take signals from the brake module (road speed) probably the engine control module (battery voltage) and steering wheel angle. When the car is turned on the modules wake up in a prescribed order such that they see all the signals they are expecting at the right time.  When you have a flat battery the car wakes up fine then when you crank it the voltage drops so low that a module may drop out this causes the others to throw faults.  As yours has they will often clear once they have seen a good signal for a period of time, if not disconnecting the battery, leaving it for 5 minutes then re-connecting (with the ignition off) will usually fix it.

We've been on a bit of a drive now, so here's the list of things to sort:

Slight 'eek' from Front nearside brake caliper. Will dismantle and reassemble at some point to see if that helps.

Rattle over bumps from nearside rear - exhaust mount maybe? There was an exhaust rubber in a packet in the boot, hopefully that's the solution.

Boot key sticks. TADTM, it's a VW thing. 

Boot struts knackered - on order

Radio locked. Removal keys on order to get serial number

Random temp warning when cold occasionally. Reset works, but may be a sensor.

Hunting at idle, sometimes. No warning light yet, will get the codes read at some point. 

Electric windows a bit slow, probably lack of use.

Other than that, it's functional, ULEZ compliant and decent on fuel. 21 quid a month tax is a bit steep though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 22:52, JJ0063 said:

These are electric I’m sure, PAS pump is only accessible by removing the wing IIRC?

Electro-hydraulic and luckily not, it can be done just by removing the NSF arch liner

The pump/control module assembly does commonly fail, but quite often a flat battery will cause it to throw a one off tantrum

If it keeps happening, power steering randomly cutting out and in, then it will be the pump assembly at fault

• Amelia changed the title to Amelia's Automotive Adventures - Turkey Twizzlers
9 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Is Claire your friend from near Leicester?

No, that's Violet.

Claire is my fiancée

10 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Any Turkish Cortinas? I remember seeing them as well as Doğans when I visited Northern Cyprus, all RHD just for that market. 

Didn't know the Fiero PCD is 5x100. 

Hope all goes well with your treatment. 

No cortinas yet.

I didn't know either, I'm glad though

More spots

IMG20240227152622.jpg

IMG20240227152638.jpg