The grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 minutes ago, Anthony said:

61 in a 50, so bang to rights (if perhaps a little unsporting - camera van was maybe 2-300m past where the 70 limit dropped to a 50 on a dual carriageway).  On the back of the form, it lists up to 64 as being eligible for SAC.

There is that, but it would probably make a refreshing change from the missus doing the same - and I figure I might learn something from it (or maybe just be left horrified by the utter ignorance elsewhere in the room)

you were only 3mph over the threshold that you might have been ignored at... Prosecution starts at 58mph.  You absolutely should be offered a SAC for that.

And yes, if you've even the slightest clue what you're doing on the road, you'll likely be rather worried at the lack of knowledge elsewhere.  I got rather embarrased at answering every question posed and had to stop.  The course operator even accused me of cheating... quite how I have no idea.  Mind you she also didn't like the fact that I told her I knew exactly what speed I was doing when caught, and it was done specifically such that if caught it would be a SAC and not points.  Probably shouldn't have said that.

When I did my SAC (34 in a 30) the instructor fairly quickly sniffed those of who were normal and knew we'd done wrong and weren't idiots vs the idiots. 

One woman went out for lunch and didn't come back, instant 'did not attend' for her apparently. The 2 guys running it then shot every first question at one of the idiots, then picked whoever tried not to laugh the most from the rest of us at their answer to explain the right one. Was a good* day out in my book! 

I had to smile and clench my teeth, I had 3 34 in a 30 within a month and timed the paperwork so my first offer acceptance went in before firing the other 2 off for points 😭 The wheels on the xantia were from a bx and I was sure on at least one I was doing 30 as it was right by work and well known. Hey ho, all points gone under the 5 year rule now 👌

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

When I did my SAC (34 in a 30) the instructor fairly quickly sniffed those of who were normal and knew we'd done wrong and weren't idiots vs the idiots. 

One woman went out for lunch and didn't come back, instant 'did not attend' for her apparently. The 2 guys running it then shot every first question at one of the idiots, then picked whoever tried not to laugh the most from the rest of us at their answer to explain the right one. Was a good* day out in my book! 

I had to smile and clench my teeth, I had 3 34 in a 30 within a month and timed the paperwork so my first offer acceptance went in before firing the other 2 off for points 😭 The wheels on the xantia were from a bx and I was sure on at least one I was doing 30 as it was right by work and well known. Hey ho, all points gone under the 5 year rule now 👌

So just keep quiet and answer a few questions? I’d love to go in there and ask how doing 82 on a motorway in a decent car, is more dangerous than an HGV doing a legal speed, ( esp if driven non stop from Istanbul), or that speed limits were set in the 60s when cars had rubbish brakes and stopping distances were about 3x what they are in a modern car. 
I suspect  I’d get a fail and piss off everyone else wanting to get away asap.

24 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I suspect  I’d get a fail and piss off everyone else wanting to get away asap.

Yeah, you would. What do you think you'd achieve by asking these questions? 

The facilitator/instructor or whatever they're called is probably paid £100 to deliver the course. It's a job for them, they don't make the laws, and can't change the laws.

I've been on a few courses over the years, and there's almost always some twat that asks stupid questions like yours and looks around the room for approval.

I'd guarantee that the rest of the room would be wishing you'd shut the fuck up so we could all go home. 

7 hours ago, New POD said:

One of the younger engineers where I work is on the Electric Truck project and comes to work on an electric bike. I've suggested his career should not move into Homologation, where confirming the design meets legislation is the main objective. Get it wrong and fines are high. 

He's modified his bike, which is bloody obvious because I followed him out of work once, and down a road with a 40 mph speed limit. I could not keep up.

I feel the stupidity of youth has overwhelmed his massive brain. No helmet, no insurance, not road legal in so many ways.

Still he has lights. 

Imagine the grief if they kill someone, not just the  victims families grief the lengthy prison sentence for causing death while uninsured riding an illegal vehicle 

The thing that astounds me is how the police just turn a blind eye to it even when it's right in front of them as I saw a few days ago, Escooter on the path, adult rider, cops never even gave it a second glance. 

People seem to have lost all ability to be aware of the space around them. In the shops people seem to have this situation where they need to spread themselves about on the aisles, standing 4ft back to view the shelves, trolleys arranged as a road block and completely ignorant of anyone else using the place. 

8 minutes ago, sierraman said:

People seem to have lost all ability to be aware of the space around them. In the shops people seem to have this situation where they need to spread themselves about on the aisles, standing 4ft back to view the shelves, trolleys arranged as a road block and completely ignorant of anyone else using the place. 

Don’t forget the dead eyes and the mouth agape as they spend 5 minutes staring at a packet of off brand corn flakes.

39 minutes ago, Wack said:

Not even subtle 

Screenshot_20231221_210153_Facebook.thumb.jpg.cd09f799aa21bf122e095860af5b61f9.jpg

What do you think the chances are of you actually getting an MOT if you're stupid enough to give these cunts any money? Does anyone know anyone who ever did? What are you going to do about it if they just keep the cash and tell you to fuck off, go to the Police?

If you're dumb enough to fall for these scams, or the Driving test pass ones you see of arsebook, hell mend you.

Warm, fuzzy moment when a new V5 arrived less than a week after the online form was completed.

Then I spotted that the transfer date is out by almost two months? I have now owned the car for eight and a bit weeks and not eight days. Really not sure if it's worth the (apparent) long winded hassle or just ignore it?

Put a crimp in the evening that'll only improve* if I start getting parking/speeding penalty notices for that interesting* gap. Guess I'll need to sort it ..... 

10 hours ago, Wack said:

Dickheads on illegal electric bikes

Some knobhead riding an electric bike on a shared path with families on it, I was doing 30 and this cunt was faster than me, not pedalling 

I've no idea why they don't get confiscated, 35 in a 30 in a car and they'll have you but riding uninsured on the path at 35mph, cart on 

If it's like syorks they cant be arsed legal vehicles are automatically fined ( big help to road safety)  also the don't chase bikes full stop incase criminals fall off & get injured so carte blanche to break the law.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I was in shopping on Tuesday evening and the number of people blocking aisles was unreal. Also had to virtually push the guy behind at the checkout out of the way to let me near the card machine. Cretins. 

On 20/12/2023 at 00:43, Popsicle said:

You'd be surprised, the two companies I do the bulk of my work for are really on the ball, they both email me for an update of my insurance policies every year when they are due for renewal. No probs my end, just email them the PDF back.

I was talking to the transport manager at one of the firms earlier this year and was very surprised to hear that a few subbys didn't have the correct type of insurance, they had been altering SD&P policies with PDF editors. It had got so bad that they were forwarding the insurance details to there own insurers who looked into how correct the policies are. The sharp compliance checking all came about due to £250k of computer equipment being delivered that disappeared and a mis-placed £900k airplane door! The door was found but the computer equipment was never found to my knowledge.

I'm sure there's a big difference between the setup that you guys operate versus the people driving for Evri in a fucked Vauxhall Vivaro or Ford S-Max. It's always one or the other, and it will be without tax, or MOT, or both 😅

On 20/12/2023 at 09:41, ProgRocker said:

I have a Canon Printer that I bought 13 years ago. Works fine but I have keep my old very slow Windows 10 PC because it's not compatible with the current PC that run Windows 11. :angry:

I could buy a new printer that is compatible with 11 but I use the printer so infrequently these days that it seems like a waste of money and effort. Might be better to send whatever attachment I need to print off to my work email and print it off there. I have an issue with clutter at home so I don't want 2 printers, never mind 5 of them!

The trouble I found with new printers is that the ink cartridges are insanely expensive, there don't seem to be any where you can buy the cartridges cheaply? HP will even disable the printer if you use non genuine cartridges... 

Many older printers, like 10 years old, you can buy a few sets of cartridges for £10/15 off eBay. 

Now it's more like £40 just for one set!

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

A few months back in my local Tesco I had a situation like that - some dopey woman completely blocking the aisle with her trolley while she yapped to someone else.  She had a little girl of about 3 in the child seat of the trolley, and the kid saw I was struggling to get past and actually apologised to me!  It's coming to something when your three-year-old has more social awareness than you...

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'm sure there's a big difference between the setup that you guys operate versus the people driving for Evri in a fucked Vauxhall Vivaro or Ford S-Max. It's always one or the other, and it will be without tax, or MOT, or both 😅

You'd hope so, but in truth not really, I keep myself legal, some don't, their often dis-organised or skint, I know a few who spend everything they've earned with no thought for future expenses. Yes I think the multi-droppers have a rough time with it, the same day stuff I do is much easier, but I've always held the opinion that 90% of transport companies are running on a wing and a prayer!

As an example the amount of punctures I've been told that I've had due to co-loading and piss taking from transport ops is staggering 🤣. I just always ask that they tell me what bullshit they've come up with so I don't look a dick when fronting up at the customers hours late as they wanted me to do something else on my way.

The trouble I found with new printers is that the ink cartridges are insanely expensive, there don't seem to be any where you can buy the cartridges cheaply? HP will even disable the printer if you use non genuine cartridges... 
Many older printers, like 10 years old, you can buy a few sets of cartridges for £10/15 off eBay. 
Now it's more like £40 just for one set!
Epson with ink tanks ... Best thing I ever bought and I use good quality non gen inks

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

If it's like syorks they cant be arsed legal vehicles are automatically fined ( big help to road safety)  also the don't chase bikes full stop incase criminals fall off & get injured so carte blanche to break the law.

Maybe they're hoping Darwin will sort them all out : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-67758665

8 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

What do you think the chances are of you actually getting an MOT if you're stupid enough to give these cunts any money? Does anyone know anyone who ever did? What are you going to do about it if they just keep the cash and tell you to fuck off, go to the Police?

If you're dumb enough to fall for these scams, or the Driving test pass ones you see of arsebook, hell mend you.

Unfortunately though mot fraud is commonplace, 

A guy in Accrington  was well known for it in the north West, not the brightest though, I think it was the 2400 mot passes in 3 months without a single fail that tipped the DVSA off 

Some Mots were done on the phone 

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

61 in a 50, so bang to rights (if perhaps a little unsporting - camera van was maybe 2-300m past where the 70 limit dropped to a 50 on a dual carriageway).  On the back of the form, it lists up to 64 as being eligible for SAC.

Bullshit isn't it 

A few years ago I was driving from Chesterfield to Manchester, awful road for overtaking, following a truck doing 30 on the hills, 50 limit 

There's only one passing spot, a straight about a mile long which I'm waiting for, put the nose out to overtake and there is is, twat in a camera van  waiting to ring the till on the only safe passing spot for miles, not in the villages where people barely even slow down 

Safety cameras my arse 

16 hours ago, Anthony said:

There is that, but it would probably make a refreshing change from the missus doing the same - and I figure I might learn something from it (or maybe just be left horrified by the utter ignorance elsewhere in the room)

I did one last year or the year before. I enjoyed it and learnt from it too. Very relaxed atmosphere and the two guys were good crack and very impartial.  It was ran by the AA (not alcoholics anonymous).

I am very sociable though which I think makes a difference.

9 hours ago, Popsicle said:

You'd hope so, but in truth not really, I keep myself legal, some don't, their often dis-organised or skint, I know a few who spend everything they've earned with no thought for future expenses. Yes I think the multi-droppers have a rough time with it, the same day stuff I do is much easier, but I've always held the opinion that 90% of transport companies are running on a wing and a prayer!

As an example the amount of punctures I've been told that I've had due to co-loading and piss taking from transport ops is staggering 🤣. I just always ask that they tell me what bullshit they've come up with so I don't look a dick when fronting up at the customers hours late as they wanted me to do something else on my way.

You’d think that there would be some sort of measure of financial fitness to run such a set up wouldn’t you? If you were running a fleet of vehicles and no cash at bank then really they are not fit to trade. 

3 hours ago, Wack said:

Unfortunately though mot fraud is commonplace, 

A guy in Accrington  was well known for it in the north West, not the brightest though, I think it was the 2400 mot passes in 3 months without a single fail that tipped the DVSA off 

Some Mots were done on the phone 

I used to know a bloke in Rotherham who was the laziest MOT tester in the world, he'd give clean sheet passes to people when he couldn't be arsed to do the test. The car will literally be in his yard and he'll not even bother putting it on the ramp. It wasn't a criminal enterprise, he was just bone fucking idle!

I'd done him a favour with a tricky wiring problem on a T4 so he owed me a couple of hours knock for knock, I was a soft lad back then and never wanted to ask people for actual payment for work like that.

I rang him up to  "prebook an MOT" on a mk3 golf gti I was going to buy to break for the engine and needed to drive home from Leeds. A few hours later I got a text off him "Congratulations, it's passed!" Best bit was I didn't even end up buying the car - the engine was knocking its head off.