The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I wonder about myself sometimes

Bought something for SWMBO's birthday in Halfrauds sale, a dashcam and it was suggested I might like the little bag, SD card etc for £3, reduced to clear, discontinued stock.

BILLY BARGAIN

My local one at Lakeside didn't have one, so I pressed the "look further" button and it came up with Gravesend @14.7 miles away or Chadwell Heath @ 16.5 miles.

I've got local resident discount for the Dartford Crossing, so it'll cost me 20p there and back. The traffic should be OK 4pm on a Saturday afternoon yeah?

Was it bollocks. So, doing what any sane person would do I missed the sliproad and proceeded to Chadwell Heath.

As soon as I passed the little green sign that said ULEZ zone, I figuratively punched myself in the clack.

So, saving a few quid on the purchase now means I'm paying £12.50 for the pleasure* of driving through Dagenham to get to the shop.

FERFUXAKE.

Walking the dog.

Now I love my dog.  She loves me.  I'm very happy to take her out, it's probably good for my ever-expanding waistline, and she needs to go anyway.  So this afternoon I looked out of the front window and saw the puddle behind the Jag lying still and undisturbed.  Oh good, no rain.  Put my coat and shoes on, bring her harness, coat and lead into the living room where she's trying to make up her mind; some wrestling ensues and eventually she's ready.  Out the back door, into the alley, effectively racing the dusk.  She stops.  I'm used to this, so I sweep her up in my arms and carry her to the end of the street, where we try again.  She walks a few steps and... some ignorant shitbag sets off a firework.  Naturally, Memphis freezes solid and has to be carried some more.  Eventually she decides she will walk, we get one block down the street and another firework goes off.  I'd love to find these people, nobody else ever would!

Meanwhile, while we've been walking, the rain has come back, with a vengeance.  Memphis does what she normally does and freezes again.  Somehow she doesn't see that just standing there will get her wetter and wetter.  And by the time we got home, my shoes were leaking.  Marvellous*.

And if you like this, wait till I get started on going to bed!

8 minutes ago, HMC said:

We could all just 'watch' it and make 'em think that there's mega interest? See how long it sits there unsold with three hundred watchers? (The P6 is into it's second listing but I see the price is unchanged).

Also listed by them : https://www.carandclassic.com/user/ccts1234

21 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

We could all just 'watch' it and make 'em think that there's mega interest? See how long it sits there unsold with three hundred watchers? (The P6 is into it's second listing but I see the price is unchanged).

Also listed by them : https://www.carandclassic.com/user/ccts1234

I spent about a grand on it to get it to that standard. It owes me £2.5 k. I got a good deal on the Rover pick up, so I’m not complaining about the price he wants for it

31 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

I spent about a grand on it to get it to that standard. It owes me £2.5 k. I got a good deal on the Rover pick up, so I’m not complaining about the price he wants for it

Asking and getting are two different things though :-)

Once we sell something it is beyond our control - I've seen stuff I've sold get flipped instantly but, like you, I've been happy with the price I got - so good luck to 'em.
Be interesting to see if it gets sold/reduced though. I'm guessing the XM world is fairly smol so it may take a while to sell - we'll see

A friend of mine in Utah had a rather unhappy ending to 2023. He pranged a deer while driving back home in the small hours this morning

IMG_20240101_010729911.thumb.jpg.05261f404b37fbc49fa51c75c70c35dd.jpg

I guess this is what happens to a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix when you hit a grown deer at 65MPH. Fortunately he wasn't hurt and the car still drove. What stings is that he had only just put new head gaskets on, replaced the water pump and replaced the starter motor after the solenoid failed.

I feel sorry for the fella, he put a lot of work into keeping the car alive only for this to happen. Life is a real bitch sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Markeh said:

Due to the weather and my driveway being unfit for purpose I managed to get stuck last night. Managed to get it moved today.

20240102_133633.thumb.jpg.770b35c1ffeb80e437dfcd3ad876c740.jpg

received_354083150601038.thumb.jpeg.686da4f875e18439f20b35ad683b0eb9.jpeg

Will get done in a couple of months when I get some cash through. Hopefully before I get stuck again!

Move to the right a bit 👍

Just now, Tenmil Socket said:

Move to the right a bit 👍

You're not wrong. Normally I do park on the slabs (or even with one side on the path itself) but when I moved the car last night I was in a rush and clearly wasn't paying enough attention! One advantage of this being a modern with cameras is that I can look at how I'm lined up at least. Did help with maneuvering to get it unstuck.

Had a look to see if the Mazda has a spare wheel yesterday.

Pleased to see that it has.  Not pleased to see that the wheel well is full of water, as is the well for the jack.

Also tried to fix the non-working interior lights.  Removed the bulbs, not an easy task, checked them and photons were released in the usual way.  Refitting them, I got one skewed and it lit up.  Still didn't work when properly fitted.

Checked the fuse and it was OK.  Refitted it and the puddle lights in the doors came on, as did the rear interior light and the underseat light.  Not the glovebox, can't see that anywhere and the map reading lights still didn't work, but then started glowing slightly.

Left it at that and dropped the car at my son's to use for work (nights, no public transport).

The following night got an urgent message that the battery was flat and the car wouldn't start.

Took the charger for him and recharged for 48 hours.  All OK, used it myself for a few hours then pulled the fuse and found that remote locking doesn't work.

Refitted the fuse yesterday and had a bugger about.  Interior lights working again, except the rear passenger one, remote locking restored.

Took it back for son to use but removed the fuse so he doesn't get stuck at work.  Further bodgery expected.

IMG_20240102_131729626_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240102_132113950_HDR.jpg

@nev_jr.... IIRC the 'street parking' issue, on residential estates etc, runs to 'if a dropped kerb/driveway' then Don't Be A Knob.... But if you yark yours over the path then it can reasonably be regarded a 'garden ornament'. Local council won't be impressed with broken paving slabs either...

Neighbours, you might assume, can be relied upon to show discretion 😯.

4 hours ago, nev_jr said:

Yeah I got out, but WHY THE FUCK HAVE YOU BLOCKED ME IN YOU CUNT?!?!?!

IMG_4016.thumb.jpeg.02a365d3a9332e5197425635166900f0.jpeg

You don’t have an easement in place do you? 

If you own your house, it’s a simple procedure. I’d wager he wouldn’t have parked like that if you had a legitimate right of way across the pathway. 

If you rent, it’s worth asking the landlord if you can pay for it or help with the process. 

In reality, he’s not done anything wrong. I wouldn’t have done it myself, but that’s life. 

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

you are totally within your rights to ram it out of the way as far as I'm concerned 

Was so tempted, but I haven’t had the Volvo long enough and respect it too much to do such a thing with it. 

On 30/12/2023 at 20:18, outlaw118 said:

I wonder about myself sometimes

Bought something for SWMBO's birthday in Halfrauds sale, a dashcam and it was suggested I might like the little bag, SD card etc for £3, reduced to clear, discontinued stock.

BILLY BARGAIN

My local one at Lakeside didn't have one, so I pressed the "look further" button and it came up with Gravesend @14.7 miles away or Chadwell Heath @ 16.5 miles.

I've got local resident discount for the Dartford Crossing, so it'll cost me 20p there and back. The traffic should be OK 4pm on a Saturday afternoon yeah?

Was it bollocks. So, doing what any sane person would do I missed the sliproad and proceeded to Chadwell Heath.

As soon as I passed the little green sign that said ULEZ zone, I figuratively punched myself in the clack.

So, saving a few quid on the purchase now means I'm paying £12.50 for the pleasure* of driving through Dagenham to get to the shop.

FERFUXAKE.

Reminds me of when I turned off a main road to go to a petrol station I knew was fairly cheap on my way back from somewhere.  As I tried to get back on my main route I had to divert due to a road closure so stuck the twat-nav on to assist in finding a quick way to the main road....and the bloody SD card corrupted and it stopped working.  So for the sake of saving a few pounds on petrol I had to spend £80 on a new SD card!

I ordered a new genuine key card for the Megane on the 6th December,  so chased it today. Not arrived and won't come for at least another week.

"It has to come from France."

I couldn't help pointing out that France is less than a day from Ireland by ferry.

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

I couldn't help pointing out that France is less than a day from Ireland by ferry.

I bought a camera from a seller in Japan a few months ago, Osaka to Glasgow in 4 and a bit days...

I've been tasked with finding a half tidy but cheap Previa for the sister in law and found one "that'll do" last week.

So I have been checking it over and was pleased this one still has solid ends to the sills and arches but decided to straighten out the lip on the ends of the sills where some Simpleton has jacked up on them and left them mangled and ripe for rust to take a hold only for me to sniff the waft of fuel.

IMG20240104135755.thumb.jpg.7b87eb7e59d34b5d039e37399e5e2abf.jpg

Removing the plastic arch liner revealed the filler neck was absolutely buried under a couple  of inches of wet crud and has rotted to buggery.

I honestly think arch liners cause more problems than they solve.

20 hours ago, artdjones said:

I ordered a new genuine key card for the Megane on the 6th December,  so chased it today. Not arrived and won't come for at least another week.

We ordered a motorway toll pass electronic tag that covers most of Europe. They for some reason would not post to Spain. They will accept a Spanish car reg details. They will accept Spanish bank payment details. Solution it is sent to a friends address in The Netherlands. They repackage and send it on to us here in Spain. That small package has been stuck in Spanish customs for 4 days. I thought this was one borderless EU?

12 hours ago, Joey spud said:

I've been tasked with finding a half tidy but cheap Previa for the sister in law and found one "that'll do" last week.

So I have been checking it over and was pleased this one still has solid ends to the sills and arches but decided to straighten out the lip on the ends of the sills where some Simpleton has jacked up on them and left them mangled and ripe for rust to take a hold only for me to sniff the waft of fuel.

Removing the plastic arch liner revealed the filler neck was absolutely buried under a couple  of inches of wet crud and has rotted to buggery.

Ditto under trays and brake backing plates. 

On 04/01/2024 at 14:24, Joey spud said:

Had a P reg previa the same time hing happened…… had it a week filled the tank up parked on a hill and it basically poured out like a colander …. A salty £400 to replace