What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Make way children, the 2p master is here.

20230608_210927.thumb.jpg.79b01e87d78269bdf66584b2c922210a.jpg

I may have had a little help by the woman filling the pusher machine saying you look like a nutcase and giving me a free car n the star wars thing.

Star wars thing wobbles so instantly I say "weebles wobble but they don't fall down" and out myself as an old git. But apparently they are called "rollinz" now.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Also ended up following this beauty on the way in this morning. 

20230609_091727.thumb.jpg.87320cd8bb1a573f223b6f1781fb1081.jpg

Giffer driven and looked immaculate.  Unfortunately my twat of a phone seems to have decided I was trying to take a photo of my wiper blade. 

Phone says that will teach you for using me whilst driving.

Amusing moment in the office earlier.  A woman further down the wing had a call come in on her laptop, so she put her headset on and answered the call.  Unfortunately she hadn't realised that the headset wasn't actually plugged in and the speaker volume on her laptop was turned all the way up, so there was much mirth and a few raised eyebrows when the caller greeted her with "Hello fuckface".

I used to have book about the Lightnings though currently can't find it. The appendix at the back listed the fate of each aircraft. Made sobering reading as about a third of them just crashed whilst going about their business. It was the jet age of course and there were no computers (or what we would recognise as computers) to figure out what might happen and the only way to test these things was to actually go out and test them, but even by the standards of the day the Lightning was hopelessly unreliable. But they must have been a sight to behold. I know there are some flying examples somewhere (South Africa springs to mind) but I know they are banned here for being too dangerous.

Must be an English Electric thing. They also made the British Rail Class 50. Overcomplicated and hopelessly unreliable but bloody fabulous things when working properly. Just like the Lightning. Best locos British Rail ever had in my opinion, but that is the opinion of someone who was an impressionable teenager when they were  working out of Paddington and Waterloo and not the opinion of a fitter who had to try and keep them running.

49 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I used to have book about the Lightnings though currently can't find it. The appendix at the back listed the fate of each aircraft. Made sobering reading as about a third of them just crashed whilst going about their business. It was the jet age of course and there were no computers (or what we would recognise as computers) to figure out what might happen and the only way to test these things was to actually go out and test them, but even by the standards of the day the Lightning was hopelessly unreliable. But they must have been a sight to behold. I know there are some flying examples somewhere (South Africa springs to mind) but I know they are banned here for being too dangerous.

Must be an English Electric thing. They also made the British Rail Class 50. Overcomplicated and hopelessly unreliable but bloody fabulous things when working properly. Just like the Lightning. Best locos British Rail ever had in my opinion, but that is the opinion of someone who was an impressionable teenager when they were  working out of Paddington and Waterloo and not the opinion of a fitter who had to try and keep them running.

The RAF spent the 1940s/50s/60s poking holes in the ground with their aircraft as safety was secondary to looking dashing in a light blue suit and the aircraft alternated between setting themselves on fire and falling apart, because whizzo and possibly cripes ginger. And that was the decent ones like the Lightning or Hunter, some of the others didn't even compensate for being dangerous by looking swish or being able to defeat all naughty enemies.

37 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I know there are some flying examples somewhere (South Africa springs to mind) but I know they are banned here for being too dangerous.

Last I read two airworthy examples are stored in Cape Town and for sale, ZU-BEX crashed in 2009. I don't think they are banned from flying here, just the support to enable a permit to fly and a suitable operator is unavailable.

Last one I saw fly would have been around 1986, you never forget that vertical climb and noise. 

831e0083a4a20dfa5f98415c4f32eba4.thumb.jpg.eec046afea317ba93f35b66e539ca3c9.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake Charmer said:

I don't think they are banned from flying here, just the support to enable a permit to fly and a suitable operator is unavailable.

831e0083a4a20dfa5f98415c4f32eba4.thumb.jpg.eec046afea317ba93f35b66e539ca3c9.jpg

Okay so they're not technically banned but I think what you said there amounts to the same thing using different words.

Great picture though.

22 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Okay so they're not technically banned but I think what you said there amounts to the same thing using different words.

That photo I think is ZU-BEX, I never tire if seeing it.

The Sea Vixen is a good example of being able to fly with a poor safety record as it was carrier based, prohibit carrier landings and it's acceptably safe! 🤣

I’ve just finished replacing the injector seal on my partner’s merc as I need it for a trade show tomorrow now the Insight is resting*.

Amazingly, the new stretch bolt was torqued down to spec with the two 90 degree turns and despite it feeling more wrong than incest it didn’t rip the threads out the block. The injector is no longer chuffing away now and the car is ready to go for my drive to Leeds tomorrow, provided I don’t break anything else between now and then…