What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Stanky said:

(though no youths seem to want to be seen dead in one) 

The youth with money usually drive around in Biros...

1d259e4e-61d5-11ed-83a9-0217670beecd.jpg

The original Cantas were made till 2017. 45 kmh is the legal speed limit for so called "brommobielen", and yes you can drive and park them in places where normal cars aren't allowed. 

Escaped the boat yesterday, arriving at my hotel at 00:45 this morning. Only flight out meant leaving for the airport at 06:30 so decided to wait for the next one tomorrow afternoon.

This evening I took my old boss who retired 18 months ago for a pizza and beer It cost, for 2 OK pizzas and 6 beers a mere £145. Yes, I am in Stavanger! :-) 

Why is this a grin? My old boss in the last 3 years has survived both cancer and a triple by-pass. I had worked for him for over 23 years, and has become one of my best friends in all the world. I thought I would not get the chance to do it again as the last time we met he looked like death warmed up, but tonight he looked great and I was delighted to be able to buy him beer!

5 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Absolutely brilliant stuff.  My pride and joy is a Guru snare (steambent Oak 14x5). My actual kits are nowhere near as fancy!  Liking the Yamaha (presumably) brass snare there.  That's a nice setup, right up my street.

It's just a collection that I have amassed over too many years! Snare in this one is a Pearl Sensitone Elite (Phosphor Bronze) from the late 00s (2008/9 maybe) it's an absolute belter. 

That Guru sounds interesting, I also have a wee stage custom hip and a Pork Pie. 

6 minutes ago, jaypee said:

It's just a collection that I have amassed over too many years! Snare in this one is a Pearl Sensitone Elite (Phosphor Bronze) from the late 00s (2008/9 maybe) it's an absolute belter. 

That Guru sounds interesting, I also have a wee stage custom hip and a Pork Pie. 

Yeah the Guru is nice.  I spent quite a bit of time with the owner a few years back - he's since closed down Guru but he's a top guy.  If you get a chance to try one of the kits, do.  They're great.  Like nothing else.

Sadly my collection is much like my cars.  A bit shit!  Have some decent cymbals (couple of Agops, a Paiste 6o2 ride, etc.) but I haven't got anything set up at the moment.  Need to re-organise my office for approximately the 1,000th time.

8 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The owners of a holiday home down the road have been cleaning out and wanted to get rid of something. I don't know what this is called in English, but I call it a shed on wheels. Got it for free in exchange for removing it and it doesn't need much work either just a new roof and a few small things. So happy with this.

20230603_083419.thumb.jpg.e3fae219aecc7ae9f18b1ebc42c1a6e7.jpg

But transpoting it home was among the more questionable things that have been done in a while.

20230603_084422.thumb.jpg.c45a563eed9c10349bd27f70314ecc12.jpg

Kostet Airbnb?? :D

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

A mate was 50 so we organised a bus for 30 of us to go to Blackpool for the weekend. Friday night was fancy dress and a great laugh. One of them went as a JSO protester

20230602_173004.jpg

20230602_211645.jpg

Screenshot_20230602_203444_WhatsApp.jpg

Give over, you never went as a plumber?!? Bloody hell Paul 🤣

Taking my other half's Dad to get his second cataract done.  Naturally he's a bit nervous and there's been an accident on the main road so we take the back roads out to Whitstable.  He loves his cars and it's one of his favourite things to talk about so imagine his joy when we came across a few classics doing a rally - everything from the late 40s up until about 2003.  A real mix.  E-Types, Hillman Imps, MGBs, some Land Rovers, Ford Populars, Ford Classics, a MK2 Cavalier, a Holden Monaro, etc.  There must have been 40-odd cars in all.  Best thing is that we obviously found a decent portion of the route because we kept coming across clusters of these cars for about 4 or 5 miles until we turned left to go into Blean.

Really took the edge off for him.  We were around the outskirts of Canterbury at the time so if anybody could shed any light that would be massively appreciated.  Can't find anything online as I'm not in the loop at all.

23 hours ago, D.E said:

The youth with money usually drive around in Biros...

1d259e4e-61d5-11ed-83a9-0217670beecd.jpg

The original Cantas were made till 2017. 45 kmh is the legal speed limit for so called "brommobielen", and yes you can drive and park them in places where normal cars aren't allowed. 

I thought the Cantas were classed as a disabled vehicle gehandicaptenvoertuig. You do not need a drivers licence for one. Brommobiel need a class minimum AM4 drivers licence.  I also understand that due to some oddity in the law you do not need to be handicapped to actual own and drive one. Also classed as a gehandicaptenvoertuig it i that that allows parking where ever. I thought these had a lower speed limit too. But I am far from certain about that.

Our regular truck driver is on holiday next weekend. I'm covering.

Something I've not done in probably 7 or 8 years.

We've worked together for nearly 20 years so he knows what a tit I am.

Last night someone put a folded up A4 sheet in my toolbox.

I unfolded it and he'd written a side of what to do with various things and the other side he'd drawn a yard map and written on it where things live.

What a good lad.

Got the fantastic news today that the absolute arse wipe developer trying to build a block of flats on a strip of land next door has had his planning appeal rejected!🤣🥳

It’s been a long time coming for some reason but his initial planning application was refused by the local council and now, some two years later (!) his appeal against that decision has also been rubbished and refused too. Funnily enough, for the exact same reasons as the council stated.

Great news for everyone that lives in the immediate vicinity of what would have been an oversized eyesore destroying everyone’s privacy and outlook in such a nice place. 
But on a personal level I’m glad this has happened to this man in particular. He’s an awful human being on every level and thinks he can ride roughshod over everyone else that’s in his way. This is a man who has actually bribed councillors in the past and got found out! This project of his must have cost him so much in both time and money by now that there won’t be any profit left in it! Especially now he can’t cram in all his expensive flats! He’s now severely limited to what he can do there now.

Serves him right the nasty twat.

On 04/06/2023 at 21:44, Remspoor said:

I thought the Cantas were classed as a disabled vehicle gehandicaptenvoertuig. You do not need a drivers licence for one. Brommobiel need a class minimum AM4 drivers licence.  I also understand that due to some oddity in the law you do not need to be handicapped to actual own and drive one. Also classed as a gehandicaptenvoertuig it i that that allows parking where ever. I thought these had a lower speed limit too. But I am far from certain about that.

There are various subcategories of "gehandicaptenvoertuigen", all with specific perks and restrictions. The name is, in practice, a generic one for all kinds of vehicles that were designed with the disabled in mind. In reality a mobility scooter will usually be referred to as a gehandicaptenvoertuig, but the various French sans permis microcars as well. Regarding the law though, things are a bit different.  A Canta is somewhere in between; they too are allowed to drive 45 kmh, but because they are not as wide as the bigger "brommobielen" you, indeed, won't need a license for them (you have to be at least 16 years old though). 

The Biro I mentioned in my previous post is a brommobiel: it is too wide to be classified as a gehandicaptenvoertuig.

I've had the materials to redo the Maestro headlining sat in the corner of my room for almost as long as I've had the Maestro.  Today, I actually removed, repaired, and recovered the headlining.  Incredibly easy job, as it goes, possibly the easiest headlining I've ever had to remove too.  Now I just have to hope the glue is as good as it seems to be so we don't end up with a Bedouin tent situation in a day or two.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a newish girlfriend.

I visit Tiffany's at Blackpool often as a single.  Lazy Sunday.  Its £35 bed, breakfast and 5 course evening meal.

I booked 2 sea view  separate small rooms a while ago. We get to reception together, they know me.

Ah! Mr Mallinson., and the ladies name?

My mind goes blank. err XXXXX , whats your surname?   Cue blushing and laughter all round.

She has a small room. Mine is very large, Double fronted sea view with a double bed.  I've booked a single.

Checking out I thank the receptionist for my room. 

No problem, thought you might like it.

15 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Got the fantastic news today that the absolute arse wipe developer trying to build a block of flats on a strip of land next door has had his planning appeal rejected!🤣🥳

It’s been a long time coming for some reason but his initial planning application was refused by the local council and now, some two years later (!) his appeal against that decision has also been rubbished and refused too. Funnily enough, for the exact same reasons as the council stated.

Great news for everyone that lives in the immediate vicinity of what would have been an oversized eyesore destroying everyone’s privacy and outlook in such a nice place. 
But on a personal level I’m glad this has happened to this man in particular. He’s an awful human being on every level and thinks he can ride roughshod over everyone else that’s in his way. This is a man who has actually bribed councillors in the past and got found out! This project of his must have cost him so much in both time and money by now that there won’t be any profit left in it! Especially now he can’t cram in all his expensive flats! He’s now severely limited to what he can do there now.

Serves him right the nasty twat.

Oh this just gets better and better!

This same bell piece also submitted a planning application after the above one to cram in two semi detached houses at the front of the property and a further two detached bungalows at the rear. Blatantly not enough space to do this but reality seems to pass this cock whisk by! 
Council refused permission for that proposal too, so he appealed…

…I’ve just got the appeal decision through and he’s had this refused too!🤣    
Pretty much for the same reasons.  
Id love to have seen his face when he read these refusals!

He’s pretty much stuck now to either one house (as per the rest of the street on that sized plot!) or a pair of semi’s. Which definitely won’t get him any profit now after how much he (by his own admission) overpaid for the land, add on the removal of the mature forest that used to be there and a hell of a lot of new fencing around its borders. 
He’s fucked! And that makes me so happy!😅

Just about completed upgrading from a Kingston SSD to a WD Black NVME drive with a fresh install of Windows on it - its flying along, I've got twice the storage to play with and it feels so fresh! New OS on a new storage device is almost as good as putting on brand new underpants and socks.

Got to reinstall all the games and things but I'm dead pleased.