The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

59 minutes ago, SiC said:

That radio stalk 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Must be the longest living Renault parts bin item. Probably first on the 25?

3.jpg

Yep. And the first car in Europe to feature remote controls for the stereo as a factory option I believe.  Yanks got there first though.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

£6k down, £35k balloon.

Tempted.

Screenshot_20240309-142218.png

A gentleman of the classic car fraternity with whom I mince about has one. His weekend toy is a fully refurbed ‘Kermit Gear’ but he absolutely loves his Alpine. 

He’s promised me a whizz in both of them this summer, and I’m very excited.

If you can, and this is as good as the deals get, then I would. 

Some good 'no photo' spotted cars today, I was either too slow with camera or driving. 

- Very barried Reliant Robin, very loud exhaust and body kit (!). Gloucester Road, Bristol. Made me laugh

- Very tatty Spitfire in Bristol, parked on the road so presumably taxed/in use

- Ratty Bond Bug Fosse Way southbound

- Blue Sherpa joining M40 southbound

Was it Rustival today? 

On 09/03/2024 at 19:01, BorniteIdentity said:

A gentleman of the classic car fraternity with whom I mince about has one. His weekend toy is a fully refurbed ‘Kermit Gear’ but he absolutely loves his Alpine. 

He’s promised me a whizz in both of them this summer, and I’m very excited.

If you can, and this is as good as the deals get, then I would. 

I occasionally see one on my commute to work. It’s Gordon Murray in his daily driver. If it’s good enough for him….

After uncovering a gas pipe buried less than 3” deep in the front garden in November, and the subsequent faff getting SGN to drop it to the correct depth, I finally have off road parking.

IMG_4341.thumb.jpeg.cce2178f5715f1c3f49d4d2c337e5ce4.jpeg

The other side of the concrete path will be done once the weather remains fine and the grass isn’t like a marsh. Will be comfortable parking for 2 cars then, and not the crush we currently have. Citroen is in the garage.

1 hour ago, Nyphur said:

Spent an hour or so cleaning up the Roomster replacement today. Comes up nice enough.

Still likely to be a couple of months before I decide to part with the Skoda I expect, its just so handy to have about.

car.thumb.jpg.91eececc588e6cbfbb47284efacf64d2.jpg

Has that got colour coded bits in the wheels?

Dead fancy!

Within the fleet, the reliable car for the wife is supposed to be her MG ZS EV… 

Guess which car broke this weekend! MG can’t look at it for a week, and expected my wife to drive a car with broken steering the 15 miles to the dealership… I think not. 

Rounded out my unemployment by spending the week driving the Civic and generally larking about. 

PXL_20240307_160653787.thumb.jpg.1e477fc4dfd1b1177008e16946e6883a.jpg

PXL_20240309_133344841.thumb.jpg.6ef42b114cdf1622239cbe3e2363952f.jpg

I also picked up some more goodies for it, SiR door cards which are a bit better for sound deadening and look lush, and an unfinished JDM rear plate conversion that I'm going to prep and have painted. 

PXL_20240310_141330939.thumb.jpg.9a388031cd6d2e4e742b0c7e14545a55.jpg

PXL_20240310_143228650.thumb.jpg.fd4afc008efd8c4dae8b12a703d17f7a.jpg

PXL_20240309_162500144.thumb.jpg.e22181f2c39245eb358639445b78b685.jpg

I'm now an IT consultant. 

Thanks to @Six-cylinder offering and @Mrs6C's efficient postal services I have added some m6 plastic washers to the new 2cv rose-jointed gearshift link. A quick test run up the drive past the lambs gamboling and there was no rattly buzzing,  so a success i think. Pics for before and after.

20240312_165943.jpg

20240312_163423.jpg

Evicted the Zed from the garage today,  and then washed her to remove the accumulated dust, she's overwintered there as she is soluble in Scottish winters ❄️☃️

The Spitfire then took pride of place in the garage, two new rear shock absorbers were fitted with not too much of a struggle - a block of wood and a large hammer helped things along.

Next things to do to the spitfire, are to adjust the handbrake and then see if I can jury-rig the viscous fan coupling, 'cos it's getting increasingly noisy these days.

After that, maybe some cosmetic improvements to some rough areas of paint.

I'm only five months into retirement now, so having time to do things, is still very much a novelty to me.

IMG_20240313_161530.jpg

IMG_20240313_161511.jpg

IMG_20240313_161454.jpg

IMG_20240313_161551.jpg

On 12/03/2024 at 17:17, richardmorris said:

Thanks to @Six-cylinder offering and @Mrs6C's efficient postal services I have added some m6 plastic washers to the new 2cv rose-jointed gearshift link. A quick test run up the drive past the lambs gamboling and there was no rattly buzzing,  so a success i think. Pics for before and after.

20240312_165943.jpg

20240312_163423.jpg

Why do you have the heater cable connected to the gear selector on your gearbox? I’ve never seen that before…

The Zafira failed its MOT today.  I was expecting it to fail, and most of the stuff it failed on was either stuff I was already aware of or relatively minor and easily fixable.  It did however fail the emissions test quite spectacularly - CO was off the chart and it also had an advisory for blue smoke, which I hadn't noticed before.  Lambda was also way off so the garage reckoned it might be effectively running in cold start mode all the time, which might explain the smoke.  So I'm going to fit a new Lambda sensor and take it back in so they can stick it on the emissions before I buy any of the other bits - if the engine is actually shagged then it'll be going for scrap.

Then driving to a hospital appointment this afternoon a bit fell off the Rover 75 on the bypass.  Turned out it was only the headlight inspection hatch, which I evidently hadn't refitted properly after my MOT-related fiddling a few weeks back, but it made quite a bang as it hit the front wheel and then got chucked under the car.  No realistic way to retrieve it as there's nowhere to stop along that section of the bypass but a replacement is only about 15 quid off eBay so not the end of the world.

18 hours ago, meshking said:

Why do you have the heater cable connected to the gear selector on your gearbox? I’ve never seen that before…

That's the reversing light switch. Connects to a simple pull switch which is on the bulkhead with one of the brake cylinder bolts. In reverse the gear selector is furthest away from that switch location and the cable pulls on the switch to make the contact. The power comes from the + side of the indicator relay.

I'll take a photo when I get home.

17104361820426961837766096189031.jpg

17104362162762955878929168741846.jpg

Took a delivery at lunchtime. I'm in the good books now as Ms Keymaster always wanted one.

Was a neighbours car. Has been sitting for about 6 months. The roof needs cleaning and sealing and the car in general wants a thorough valeting.

GOOD: History file mentions remap. Heated Seats.

BAD: Keeps indicating left. Don't mention the OMGTAXBAND.

An enjoyable few weekends are ahead getting it cleaned up and ready for the 3 sunny days we might get this year.

Anyone want a leggy CLK 220 CDI?04e82507d44266362bd13c6cdedcbc39.jpg

6 hours ago, richardmorris said:

That's the reversing light switch. Connects to a simple pull switch which is on the bulkhead with one of the brake cylinder bolts. In reverse the gear selector is furthest away from that switch location and the cable pulls on the switch to make the contact. The power comes from the + side of the indicator relay.

I'll take a photo when I get home.

17104361820426961837766096189031.jpg

17104362162762955878929168741846.jpg

Ah ha! Very nice - thanks for the photos. Never seen that done before. I remember someone was selling drilled and tap back plates many moons ago to achieve similar, but obvs that required removing engine and box. 

42 minutes ago, meshking said:

Ah ha! Very nice - thanks for the photos. Never seen that done before. I remember someone was selling drilled and tap back plates many moons ago to achieve similar, but obvs that required removing engine and box. 

It was a business called blue snail products who did a few other neat things too like a lights on alarm. Not sure if they’re still around.  It must have been twenty years ago, but it was a neat solution that included everything from the pull switch to the lamp itself and all wiring.

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Keymaster said:

Took a delivery at lunchtime. I'm in the good books now as Ms Keymaster always wanted one.

Was a neighbours car. Has been sitting for about 6 months. The roof needs cleaning and sealing and the car in general wants a thorough valeting.

GOOD: History file mentions remap. Heated Seats.

BAD: Keeps indicating left. Don't mention the OMGTAXBAND.

An enjoyable few weekends are ahead getting it cleaned up and ready for the 3 sunny days we might get this year.

Anyone want a leggy CLK 220 CDI?04e82507d44266362bd13c6cdedcbc39.jpg

is it mega high tax band?