The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

As reported in "Split Pin's" 75 thread, my friend just took on ownership of the earliest surviving Raver 75 in Europe.

post-19618-0-91048100-1547459922_thumb.jpg

I'd encourage him to join, but I don't want him to know what a pervert I really am - plus his daily is a Tesla Model S. (Wanker)

x

As reporting in "Split Pin's" 75 thread, my friend just took on ownership of the earliest surviving Raver 75 in Europe.

attachicon.gif49895457_377127469686275_7582158986015670272_n.jpg

I'd encourage him to join, but I don't want him to know what a pervert I really am - plus his daily is a Tesla Model S. (Wanker)

x

Early. Rover 75. V6. Connoisseur. SO MUCH FAP :shock:

'Cos modern Canbus bollocks.  If you plug an extra set of bulbs directly into the wiring circuit, the ECU will see that double the expected current is being drawn and will throw a wobbly.  The way around it is to run the wiring through a 7-way bypass relay, which is powered by a direct live feed which bypasses the lighting circuit - that way the wiring from the lights is only switching the relay, the lights themselves are being powered by the main feed.

You could probably get around it by fitting (resistorless) LED bulbs in your trailer light board I suppose.

Jeepers. All moderns etc...

As reported in "Split Pin's" 75 thread, my friend just took on ownership of the earliest surviving Raver 75 in Europe.

x

Lordy that is lovely.

Apparently, my camper does not qualify for all the privileges that all other roadworthy vehicles do.

I have been ordered to move it from its space as "it looks unroadworthy".

It should take any layman less than a couple of minutes to find out if it is, or indeed not, roadworthy.

As a result I have put posters up in all windows stating the fact it is MOT'ed, taxed and insured, with a link to all relevant sites to prove this. Added my house number, (cul de sac) and mobile number.

Who wants to bet nobody comes forward as the complainant?

I am reliably informed as to who it was anyway.

If the council play the card that I can't park there as it isn't allocated parking then I will have a lot of calls to make on a daily basis informing on others who do the same as me. And if I am officially ordered to move it, it will unfortunately end up outside the miserable old prick who complained about it, yet doesn't own a car's house.

I should add there is a 5 year old plastic camper parked on common land in the same circumstances as mine, with wheel clamp theft deterrent as a sign it's going nowhere, that is completely acceptable apparently as it isn't old.

I haven't tax checked it as I'm not that bitter. Yet.

I'd hate to have park the 508d there for a week or two, make people realise what they were missing...

I spoke to a lady from the council today who seemed happy with my version of events and said it should be fine but if there were any problems, I would be contacted within a couple of days. If there is no further problems they will come and remove the notice from the windows.

I explained how it was parked currently and how it would be parked if made to move from where it is and the fact it would be perfectly legal outside the miserable bastards house who complained and can't currently see it from his house and doesn't even own a car, but he would enjoy the view of it from the comfort of his favourite chair.

Missed a call from the neighbouring Council, Broxtowe, this afternoon coz work.

I put an application in for a garage about three weeks ago. Seems I may have struck gold. Or I've lost my only chance evah to get one and I'm now bottom of the list forever for being a timewaster.

I know they have trouble shifting the garages in two villages very close to here (a 10 min bike ride away) so fingers crossed. Will ring them tomorrow AM.

Had a 50-mile run out in the 2CV today to play with an electric Fiat, but the main thing was the fun I had in the 2CV. The engine seems to be loosening up nicely and it's just so amusing to have a 2CV that accelerates in places it previously did not. Many overtakes! I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm hanging out with Evos and Teslas in the performance stakes now, but I'm definitely noticing the bit extra I now have. In fact there were times where I was thinking "this is actually a bit too quick," which is a level of common-sense I'm not generally used to. I think that just confirms that I was right not to keep saving up for a BMW conversion. I'd just kill myself.

Shite on TV alert.... over on Netflix

Right bear with me on this one, but 'Sex Education' which is like a coming-of-age thing with Gillian Anderson in that dropped on Friday seems to have such clean and shiny 80s and 90s cars ever seen in a college car park I thought it was a period piece ;-) . Started with either an A reg Carlton or Cavalier, blink and you miss it style; Ms Anderson drives a w123 estate, the best friend's dad has a Maestro, one of the college love interests has a Volvo 340 by the looks of it and finally the local handyman has a LiteAce or Vanette. 

Just don't come across too enthusiastic if the other half asks you to suggest something, they might get the wrong idea :-)

Up the engine, then the brakes - my 2cv mechanic friend who does the race circuit is talking of fitting all round discs.

I really cannot see why you'd want to do that. The BMW ones I've driven seem fine on rear drums. Extra cooling is wise for the front discs, but they were fairly over-engineered anyway. The racers just add heat-sinks.

Aye, a lightweight FWD car like a 2CV would not gain anything much by having discs on the back - the rear brakes do so little work that drums are perfectly adequate - especially given that 2CVs do this under hard braking:

2CV.jpg

Even the "tuned" Rover 45 I had was still on drums at the back, despite having daft amounts of money spent on other upgrades, as the previous owner (rightly) decided that discs wouldn't really benefit the car enough to be worth the hassle.

x

post-20228-0-22337000-1547505199_thumb.jpg

Excellent purchase by your friend. Is that the one which was at the NEC in November? The registration plate looks familiar.