Warren Works... An MG6. In for test. It fails. NOW PISTONHEADS APPROVED CAR!

warren t claim

1760 miles so far, yes it's been a quiet couple of shifts. 

One EML huccup from a hot start earlier cured by a quick engine on/off.

Cruise control working again.

Discovered curry hooks in the boot.

I'm not sure if Furious Driving has ever reviewed an MG6 but if he wants to try one then best leave it until just before Valentine's Day as it's got the sort of tea shelf that'll give him a diamond cutter hard on that Mrs Furious can enjoy later.

2 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I go for Giffer The Gardener - his hip replacement meant he could no longer struggle with the Longbridge Heavy so had to accept his doom.

He's had the car nearly thirteen years and, despite not doing any maintenance - not even changing the tyres* - it just refuses to die. This year he's really going for it and is planning to skip the annual service and see if that does it in.

*MoT history suggests it's likely still on the originals.

Checkout the high mileage

image.thumb.png.4e9be1a694d2ec35d044bd3e499d06c3.png

In a way this cheers me, he may have massively overpaid for it new but at least he’s had coming up to 13 years value out of it.

Better that than buying a new Astra or Megane on PCP every three years and spending a total of 45k by now. 

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

There's a shite taxi, and then there's this abomination 😅

IMG_20240112_232449.thumb.jpg.5d76e6bb941a3cb8b7a526495f5be169.jpg

We had a couple of Vauxhall /Suzuki Agila things plated 15 years ago.

We used to have a simple 4 wheels, 4 seats and 45" between the rear door handles rule but nowadays anyone wanting to plate a car of a type that's never been licenced before in the borough they have to submit the car to the licencing panel for their approval. My MG6 had to go through this along with my Ioniq as they were the first of their type to get licenced. Sometimes this backfires. A junior licencing officer handed out a plate for a Toyota CH-R without checking if one had been licenced before. This means that although the CH-R doesn't meet local regs anyone can plate one now.

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

We used to have a simple 4 wheels, 4 seats and 45" between the rear door handles rule

you know when you see a sign/rule and you gotta wonder what someone did for that to have to be stipulated? well yeah LOL

did someone try and plate a Zap Xebra or something?!

image.thumb.png.91323f680c154be9e82310358f4339f3.png

12 hours ago, warren t claim said:

We had a couple of Vauxhall /Suzuki Agila things plated 15 years ago.

We used to have a simple 4 wheels, 4 seats and 45" between the rear door handles rule but nowadays anyone wanting to plate a car of a type that's never been licenced before in the borough they have to submit the car to the licencing panel for their approval. My MG6 had to go through this along with my Ioniq as they were the first of their type to get licenced. Sometimes this backfires. A junior licencing officer handed out a plate for a Toyota CH-R without checking if one had been licenced before. This means that although the CH-R doesn't meet local regs anyone can plate one now.

An Agila taxi sounds grim, even worse than the Meriva one PH driver worked round here a few years ago. Someone in Milton Keynes has managed to get a Toyota Yaris plated as a PH car.

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

There's a shite taxi, and then there's this abomination 😅

IMG_20240112_232449.thumb.jpg.5d76e6bb941a3cb8b7a526495f5be169.jpg

Reminds me of an old, long departed friend of mine who set up and owned Cresta Cabs of Wrexham. In the 70's and 80's before things became regulated, he ran the shonkiest range of private hire jockey cars you ever saw .

Any criticism was always countered with, "Listen bollocks. A 2nd class ride beats the fuck out of a 1st class walk"

On 12/01/2024 at 01:03, warren t claim said:

BOLLOCKS!!!! That reminds me that one of my electric steps doesn't work and has had to be locked half out! I'm surprised that the other one still works due to Wirral's chunkiest munters using it as a springboard to get in. I was told that it's road salt that fucks them up. I've been meaning to fuck them off and replace them with running boards all year.

Wirral's chunkiest munters.  That's a channel 5 series I would happily watch every week instead of I've irresponsibly bred two football teams worth of sprogs.

On 02/01/2024 at 00:12, RoverFolkUs said:

The front suspension is pretty much identical to a Rover 75. That's about where the similarities end because the rear suspension most certainly does not inherit anything from the Rover.

Had a quick look at a diagram of the rear end and it doesn't look like anything I've seen up close before... Seperate spring and shock though, so unless you've bent an arm then *something* should be adaptable to work. 75 front end means e46 front end so easy and cheap. 

On 07/01/2024 at 01:49, warren t claim said:

Are you sure? That's quite a large truck to be powered by a 1.85 diesel. I can't imagine it towing much.

The truck is normally-sized, the mountain is far away. 

On 10/01/2024 at 21:41, chancer said:

True, i do that with the transit procab as well. Mostly out of courtesy, and also to keep the circulation going. Wont need to soon though....watch this space. 

Are you having your legs removed? 

On 10/01/2024 at 23:34, LightBulbFun said:

the want for the mobility scooter is mainly for large pedestrian only places, like for example if I wanted to go to one of those NEC classic car shows or such

I was very kindly given use of a scooter during a couple FoD visits and it was a real game changer for me

hence the interest in getting a vehicle I can keep/transport one in, which came about when @warren t claim mentioned the idea of keeping one in a vehicle as a sort of mobile shed/autoshite version of thunderbirds (not only would the vehicle give me somewhere safe/dry to keep it, but also allow me to take it to places)

I had previously written off the idea of a scooter since theres no where to keep one safe here otherwise

I had my heart set on a scooter (and I had a similar 'game changer' moment with one I borrowed), but after a few conversations with disabled friends, all said that they went from a scooter to a power chair and they would never go back. 

I've since bought a lightly used and refurbished Pride Go-Chair and it has been a revelation. Near-zero turning circle, you can push a supermarket trolley when in it, and importantly it seperates into four sections, is easily assembled and disassembled, the heaviest section is around 18Kg, and it fits in even a modest boot. I don't even bring the chair into the house, just the battery box so it can be charged. 

I've often wondered why LBF must have a car that can take an assembled scooter...

I'll be honest, and don't know the details of your abilities but if you are able to walk short distances then surely one of the smaller scooters that can come apart easily and reassemble in moments is preferable to limiting your choice of car so dramatically.

I got a small scooter and a pushchair, and all required baby paraphernalia in the boot of a Focus hatch, and the Octavia can easily accommodate the scooter parts strapped to the rear of the seat and two dogs in the boot.

I'm not asking for loads of personal details, but consider what it is you actually need - and whether you still need that same thing when a car will get you almost all the way to your destination.

On 13/01/2024 at 00:54, LightBulbFun said:

you know when you see a sign/rule and you gotta wonder what someone did for that to have to be stipulated? well yeah LOL

did someone try and plate a Zap Xebra or something?!

image.thumb.png.91323f680c154be9e82310358f4339f3.png

Domino's Pizza trialled those in the US as delivery cars, but they were so hopeless and downright dangerous they were eventually banned.

Thanks to this thread I am now noticing MG6's on the road, saw a couple yesterday on a trip down to Worcestershire but was driving so couldn't note their number plates.

8 hours ago, Pieman said:

Domino's Pizza trialled those in the US as delivery cars, but they were so hopeless and downright dangerous they were eventually banned.

Thanks to this thread I am now noticing MG6's on the road, saw a couple yesterday on a trip down to Worcestershire but was driving so couldn't note their number plates.

I've not seen another on the road since I got mine. 

It had to happen eventually. Tonight I had to endure a nine mile trip with a punter who held negative views about my car.

OAP. This piece of chinky shit is a disgrace to the MG name. I've owned a couple of MGs in my time and your car is an embarrassment. Those dog eaters will be putting the MG badge on a van next!

WTC. I'm sorry to hear that. What MGs did you own?

OAP. An MG1300. It was a bloody wonderful car on bends, and something you would never of heard of called a Farina Magnette. I could take my hands off the wheel at a ton with confidence.

WTC. What do you drive now?

OAP. A Dacia Sandero and it's bloody wonderful.

As he's a regular punter I'll be keeping a cast iron OHV lump equipped with twin SUs in the boot to lob in for the next time he books a taxi.

21 hours ago, coachie said:

Wirral's chunkiest munters.  That's a channel 5 series I would happily watch every week instead of I've irresponsibly bred two football teams worth of sprogs.

Competing with Bootle's biggest bison to get prime position on the Dock Road. 

19 hours ago, warren t claim said:

It had to happen eventually. Tonight I had to endure a nine mile trip with a punter who held negative views about my car.

OAP. This piece of chinky shit is a disgrace to the MG name. I've owned a couple of MGs in my time and your car is an embarrassment. Those dog eaters will be putting the MG badge on a van next!

OAP. An MG1300. It was a bloody wonderful car on bends, and something you would never of heard of called a Farina Magnette. I could take my hands off the wheel at a ton with confidence.

As he's a regular punter I'll be keeping a cast iron OHV lump equipped with twin SUs in the boot to lob in for the next time he books a taxi.

Go round and show him this:

https://www.mgmotor.me/new-cars/mgt60/

IMG_9572.thumb.png.e6c17897df064d8f379acf272d1282f7.png

21 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Was going to say do you know no one with a marina van you can borrow next time he rings? But @Lacquer Peel beat me to it.

20 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Also if a Farina Magnette can do a ton, Cindy Crawford makes me my tea.

My Bumper Book of BMC says 86mph, for the A60 based one with the wider track. Twin carbs and 1622cc POWER. 

If he meant the 1300, then a MkII with 70bhp - a claimed 97mph - so I suppose with speedo error….

I’d have more confidence in the directional stability of an ADO16, still wouldn’t take my hands off the wheel at top speed, even when new…

19 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

My Bumper Book of BMC says 86mph, for the A60 based one with the wider track. Twin carbs and 1622cc POWER. 

If he meant the 1300, then a MkII with 70bhp - a claimed 97mph - so I suppose with speedo error….

I’d have more confidence in the directional stability of an ADO16, still wouldn’t take my hands off the wheel at top speed, even when new…

The "hands off at a ton" must have been some sort of yardstick back in the day. I remember back in 1988 buying a Holbay powered Hunter GLS from the part ex bin at a small family Peugeot/Talbot and formerly Roots dealer (£275) and the elderly salesman, or more likely franchisee, told me that I'd be able to do this in the two tone yellow and red lead Hillman.

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I call bullshit on that. 

I would have replied stating both his beloved ‘MG’s were ponced-up Austins and one was designed by a Greek at that.

I'd be telling him that the best MGs were built in longbridge and had a 1275 cc A series engine with a Turbo and had red seat belts.

Let him see if he knows the MG range.......

Anyone know ? 

7 hours ago, Sheefag said:

A 'Magnette' eh?

Best not show him the short-lived, booted version then...

MG MG6 Magnette 1.8 TSE review The MG6 has gained a boot - and a historic name - to become the Magnette saloon

This one has to be one of the earliest (of the few) surviving, and is winking at me temptingly from 10 miles down the road!

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1707948523029610

image.thumb.png.da2ec5f3191f5c99d340cc91a17f647e.png