Warren Works... An MG6. In for test. It fails. NOW PISTONHEADS APPROVED CAR!

warren t claim

As my insurance broker is open for the first time in 2024 tomorrow I can swap my hire and reward policy to this beauty. 

mg1.thumb.png.0e30fbe46b5afd263c6fcf638c8375b2.pngmg3.thumb.png.ce46dc3a79552a94ca8d5ff91b9f1b60.pngmg2.thumb.png.73e27a38528d756c000d0ef39a75893f.png

Earlier on this evening, I used my TRADEX perk to take it for a quick clean and a decent 30 mile blast to see what it's really like to live with.

First impressions are pretty positive. It goes, stops and steers well enough. The heated seats take a while to warm up. It likes misting up inside and over the 30 miles of mixed motoring it seemed to average 47 mpg although that figure will drop during working conditions to about 42ish. 

Maybe it's a sign of me getting old, but I'm going to need to spend an hour or so in daylight going through all the kit to see how it works and ascertain what's faulty. For example, on my test run I couldn't get the cruise to work, that's either me being stupid or the clutch switch is shagged out. The central locking also needs a thorough Google as it seems to want to lock the rear doors from the outside. 

As I've said earlier, both front seats are fully powered. This is great for the driver but from my experience working a similarly equipped Omega Elite, a right PITA with regards to the passenger seat. The controls are on the far left of the seat and in this job it is often necessary for me to slide them forwards for a rear seat passenger. 

A worth mention has to go to the cupholder. It's simply the worst I've ever encountered. It's both flimsy and protrudes into the front seat passenger's legroom meaning that there's no way I'm ever going to reach for it when carrying a lady passenger in the front!

6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I've always really liked the styling of these.

To be fair, it's quite an attractive if somewhat anonymous design. 

It'll be interesting to gauge the reaction from my older passengers. When I arrive at a fare the callback texts the passenger the make, model, reg number, plate number, colour and my name. I can imagine a few of my elderly punters expecting to be picked up in a black MGB GT! I'm already braced for the endless comments from OAPs about the MGB/Midget/Magnette that they owned back in the 60s and 70s.

So let's just take a moment to put things into perspective here.

I'm going to work and put my entire short term financial future into an eight and a half year old MG6 and subject it to at least 1000 miles a week of pretty demanding taxi use.

The things I do for you lot.

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'm not too sure where they got that from, I was always under the same impression but since a customer of ours recently bought one I've discovered it's an entirely unique engine to SAIC

It actually pulls very well up to its somewhat low 4500 redline.

How are you getting on with the BMW-esque push to start? I always fight with it. They have a habit of helpfully ejecting the key instead of starting. Common fault apparently, rectified with a new key slot.

Does it have really horribly noisy wipers? TADTS... 

The one we look after has both a DMF and timing chain (cold start) rattle... Not* bad** for the 55k miles on the clock :(

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How are you getting on with the BMW-esque push to start? I always fight with it. They have a habit of helpfully ejecting the key instead of starting. Common fault apparently, rectified with a new key slot.

Does it have really horribly noisy wipers? TADTS... 

The one we look after has both a DMF and timing chain (cold start) rattle... Not* bad** for the 55k miles on the clock :(

The Passat-esque dildo key fob seems to be working fine although the loop on it has snapped off.

The wipers aren't just noisy, they're also utter wank on auto mode.

Just now, warren t claim said:

I'm no psychic but my sixth sense is telling me that there's already a secret behind the scenes AS WhatsApp group running a sweepstake as to how long it is before I post a bonnet up, hard shoulder pic on this thread.

When speaking to an MG dealer technician, apparently there was a thing with the faulty key slots where they will eject the key while driving if you hit a bump hard enough which will cause it to cut out... So if it has a mind of it's own when starting then be prepared 😁

2 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

The Passat-esque dildo key fob seems to be working fine although the loop on it has snapped off.

The wipers aren't just noisy, they're also utter wank on auto mode.

Ah yes, the Passat would have been a closer comparison. Probably what I was thinking of

The wiper mechanism has a weirdly designed gearbox thing which I believe the factory chose not to pack with grease, PROJECT DRIVE INNIT HARDY HAR HAR which would explain their permanently noisy state and short lifespan

5 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I'm no psychic but my sixth sense is telling me that there's already a secret behind the scenes AS WhatsApp group running a sweepstake as to how long it is before I post a bonnet up, hard shoulder pic on this thread.

No. Have you pulled yet? 🤣

The front suspension is pretty much identical to a Rover 75. That's about where the similarities end because the rear suspension most certainly does not inherit anything from the Rover.

It would also appear that they didn't go to the trouble of applying any rust prevention to the rear suspension in particular. You might find a bit from factory on the front, weirdly, but not on the back. If you peer underneath you might be surprised at how grotty it is for a 15 plate

The infotainment system and sat nav is hilariously crap. The interface reminds me of those self serve screens that used to be in Argos in the late 00's

9 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

The front suspension is pretty much identical to a Rover 75. That's about where the similarities end because the rear suspension most certainly does not inherit anything from the Rover.

It would also appear that they didn't go to the trouble of applying any rust prevention to the rear suspension in particular. You might find a bit from factory on the front, weirdly, but not on the back. If you peer underneath you might be surprised at how grotty it is for a 15 plate

The infotainment system and sat nav is hilariously crap. The interface reminds me of those self serve screens that used to be in Argos in the late 00's

At least the driver's seat is a comfy place to plonk my arse on while parked on the hard shoulder waiting for the RAC man to arrive and laugh at me.

1 minute ago, warren t claim said:

At least the driver's seat is a comfy place to plonk my arse on while parked on the hard shoulder waiting for the RAC man to arrive and laugh at me.

Swing by Halfords or Kwik fit if they're quiet one afternoon and ask for a oil change, watch their faces drop when they realise the oil filters are unobtainium 😮

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Swing by Halfords or Kwik fit if they're quiet one afternoon and ask for a oil change, watch their faces drop when they realise the oil filters are unobtainium 😮

£20 on Ebay.

5 hours ago, warren t claim said:

I'll take a random....

I’ve not got time to bother my arse with finding out the details, but I know two things about the MG6.

1) The 1.8T petrol is a K Series, but they call it the N series, as it has all the new MLS gasket and stronger through bolts etc that you should put in a K Series - with a turbo.

2) SAIC could not give two shits about supplying spare parts for these, so (I think) strut top mounts are (or at least were) unobtainable.

Still a good looking motor though 👍