The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have spoken to her on the phone this morning and unless I am prepared to "stop being delusional and accept it's all my fault" blah blah blah.

Excellent. So you've done as she suggests? Job done, then.

In all seriousness, she's clearly struggling with something and you're the scapegoat. She feels she can "lean" on you in this way and knows/hopes you won't take it too much to heart. In a way, it's a compliment. I seem to remember that you mentioned her parents were getting on a bit or not in the best of health. Perhaps this is weighing on her? Is there anything you can do to make her feel more supported here? Perhaps get some shopping for them, offer to take them somewhere, fix that light in the bathroom that isn't working etc etc.

When something is bothering me I largely prefer not to talk about it. Doesn't mean it isn't spinning around in my head 24/7. My ex would vocalise everything. She needed to talk about whatever was bothering her constantly, barely even paused for breath, and wanted/needed my input. Different things work for different people.

Of course, you may be delusional and it may all be your fault. In which case, as you were. But I doubt it.

She just phoned me and started to rant on the phone. I.put it down and cried some.more.

Fuck.me I'm a twat.

Sorry to hear this POD. I am in a similar-is boat right now. A sum of money has Ben demanded from me, I cannot cover it but had a bright idea, idea got shouted down. Arguement ensued about how sometimes she seems to think I am like a bank. She tried to borrow money from a friend, friend didn't have the sum. Have not spend to wife for a god 7/8 days apart from when she called me and told me rather coldly that her friend couldn't borrow her what she needed so I'd have to get it. At some point we'll need to communicate again and I'm sure there'll be rocky patches to get through. Fuck that.

2184315.main_image.jpg?strip=all

1.jpg

;)

The magic of Xmas. Last year we found the local grotto (for which it’s £10 per child...) would no longer be one one one with Father Christmas, you had to sit in there with four other families and get thirty seconds a piece to quickly tell a man with tattoos on his knuckles what you wanted. Then on the way out you could purchase an array of expensive momentos of the day.

I’m fairly sure when I was a kid I can remember him coming to the school after lessons, then everyone got to see him, and you got a ladybird book or whatever after. It wasn’t free obviously it was a couple of quid but from discussing it with my father it wasn’t the licence to print money that it is now.

Damn right.

For instance this is a recent conversation with my partner of nine years. A most peaceful creature, we rarely argue.

Her: "I'm going to go to the shop, do you want anything"

Me: "ok. We are low on milk"

Comes back from shop with some groceries but no milk

Me: "you forgot the milk"

Her: you didn't ask me to get milk"

Me: "I told you we were low on milk"

Her: yes I remember you saying that but you didn't actually ask me to get some"

We had not argued previously and this was not her being funny, this was just her logic.

Isn't that the same as asking a computer programmer to get a loaf of bread and if they have eggs to get a dozen. Computer programmer will come back with a dozen loaves of bread, because they had eggs.

"Hi Mr Supernaut I'm [crunch crunch] calling from [mumble mumble] an IT recruitment company. We have a position in [warble warble rhubarb] and we wondered if you were int-" *MESSAGE DELETED*

Why are so many people unable to leave a coherent voicemail?

Christmas shit in the shops at the beginning of November. Fuck off!

post-17915-0-61494300-1542024984_thumb.png

This year, the traditional Hallowe'en bulwark seems to have been comprehensively breached - we had stores with twinkly trees up and aisles of green and red tat running alongside the purple and orange tat from mid-October.

M&S and Home Bargains - looking in your general direction.

Mind you, the supermarkets have been piling metric fucktons of Celebrations and Quality Street up by the front doors since late August, like some kind of confectionery-derived seawall defences. Sainsburys had stacks of Mr Kipling mince pies ready to go by the first week of September (with a best-before date of 22 October). Eurospar was advertising their 'Twelve Deals Of Christmas' on advertising hoardings from the last week of September - and now all retailers have gone flat-out batshit in punting out their cringeworthy, twee declarations about family values and togetherness and all that old shit, and that sodding Elf on the Bastarding Shelf seems to be so rampant that I'm giving serious thought about calling in Rentokil as it's clearly now reached infestation levels.

I actually wouldn't mind it all so much if the same places didn't rip the whole fucking lot down at 3.59pm on Christmas Eve - the exact second that the corporate accountants have calculated that they can no longer wring more a few more pennies out of you through their total surround-sound onslaught of crude emotional manipulation involving cutesy-cute kids and smiley wrinkly grandparents, intimating that you too could bask in such slack-jawed bliss and harmony if only you'd just spend a little more...

Then BANG, it's all gone - and instead it's wall-to-wall ads for fucking summer holidays blasting your eyes and ears from 4.00pm on. And carpet sales. And kitchens.

Once Christmas Eve comes, the whole thing might as well not be happening so far as retailers and advertisers are concerned - and the whole shitshow won't get another mention until the day after August Bank Holiday 2019. Cynical, cynical, cynical. It would cost them nothing to leave all the tinsel up for even a week. But no. All gone. Fuck off. If there's no money to be made, it won't be allowed to live. Immediately, it's Easter eggs and hot cross buns shoved in your face before you've even made your mind up what you're doing for New Year's Eve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Christmas-hater. I really do love it. But let the seasons be the seasons in their own time. It's still autumn, FFS; we went out for a smashing walk yesterday round the Woodburn reservoir, still lined with vivid orange and yellow leaves. It's not winter, yet (though we've had the odd heavy frost) and I like it being not-yet-winter.

I don't want to see synthetic snowflakes in every shop window. I don't want 30-second faux-idyllic depictions of other people's Christmases acted out every time I walk past a television. I don't want to hear sleighbells over fucking everything on the radio, especially when it involves a mumsy voiceover confidentially intoning "Christmas is stressful enough...", followed by shilling whatever pointless wasteful product the advertiser wants you to buy, finely tuned to inflict maximum emotional damage.

No. It isn't. You're making it stressful, by plucking at our coatsleeves every two fucking minutes. Do you not love your family? How will they know if you don't get yourself into crippling debt buying endless plastic shit, and frozen prawn rings that taste of nothing at all? On and on it goes, for weeks and months. Late stage capitalism eating itself, and causing untold mental damage in its death throes. No-one will love you if you don't buy our products! Spend money you don't have with us, or you're letting down everyone dear to you! It's inescapable.

Even if I manage to keep the TV and radio off, and avoid shops as much as possible (I charged straight past They_All_Do_That_Sir in Tesco without even noticing only yesterday, so intent was I to get some bananas and leave without being dragged into the emotional quagmire), then I can't help but have my eyeballs snagged by the billboards every time I'm out in the car... turkey, sprouts, Santa, elves, snowmen, penguins... IT'S FUCKING NOVEMBER, PEOPLE. STOP IT.

It all just feels so warped and out of kilter, and I find that it does really upset me quite a lot. Just as I'm starting to warm to it, around 21st December, suddenly it's all snatched away. The contrast is highly disorienting. I understand that even in the US, the whipping boy for consumerism, Christmas tends not to be overt until after Thanksgiving (is that still the case?). I feel like it's been Christmas for a month here already. Where's it going to end? If Sainsburys habitually put their mince pies out a week earlier each year (which they have, in the past three years I've been actively monitoring them), then by 2030 they'll be putting them out in the third week of June.

For me, Christmas runs from Christmas Eve until Twelfth Night. Yet I have colleagues who take their fucking decorations down on Boxing Day - because, at that stage, they've already had them up for over a month. Then complain that the days after Christmas are 'really boring', so all they do is go up to Junction One and The Outlet and other soul-melting greybox retail developments, conveniently situated beside motorway sliproads, to buy more trashy shit they don't really want. Words fail me. My flabber is utterly ghasted.

Right, I've vented my spleen, and now I feel like pulling the shutters down now on all of this. See yis in January.

Yes yes yes yes

I wanted a pumpkin on Halloween. On the actual 31st of October. Went in to tesco at 7pm. Not a single Halloween item in the shop.

I like pumpkin soup, buying a pumpkin now is a bit of a war... despite the thousands grown all year. They got a face carved into them before getting chucked in the bin. Great use of resources that.

I want to reclaim December.

You remember? That month we used to have? Before it's name was changed to Christmas?

I flipping love Christmas. For the two-ish weeks it is.

I have spoken to her on the phone this morning and unless I am prepared to "stop being delusional and accept it's all my fault" blah blah blah.

As others have said it sounds like she's using you as the whipping boy for some grievance she's struggling to deal with. Sit her down, make her a cup of tea or coffee and go through it and be as cool and calm as possible; You need to find out what is bugging her, even if some (or all) of it is your fault as it will give closure to both of you and you can then make steps to getting back on track and what you, her or both of y'need to stop or start doing. 

It'll be tough, shitty, possibly end up with an even bigger row, may even take a few weeks before you discover what the answer is. You obviously love & care about your mrs as it's made you upset enough to be in tears a couple of times, if not more. It's far better to do this sort of thing in person than irate phone calls or texts.

Ah, pumpkins, my sister who lives in Pembrokeshire told me what happened at a nearby farm back in October. Someone stuck some photos on Facebook of the field of pumpkins, instead of just looking at the pictures people decided they had to see it for themselves, travelling from all over the country. It ended up with gridlock on the narrow roads/lanes resulting in the police having to attend and people waiting for hours to see the pumpkins. The daftest bit being that hardly any of these people actually bought a pumpkin from the farm, it was just a selfie opportunity

Ah, pumpkins, my sister who lives in Pembrokeshire told me what happened at a nearby farm back in October. Someone stuck some photos on Facebook of the field of pumpkins, instead of just looking at the pictures people decided they had to see it for themselves, travelling from all over the country. It ended up with gridlock on the narrow roads/lanes resulting in the police having to attend and people waiting for hours to see the pumpkins. The daftest bit being that hardly any of these people actually bought a pumpkin from the farm, it was just a selfie opportunity

There's a pumpkin farm near me that does something like this. Slindon pumpkins.

I did buy a few squashes and gourds from them, but the woman at the till was such a miserable old boot last time when I told Mrs D how I was going to make soup in a particular way, I haven't been back this year.

Growing pumpkins just to make Jack o'Lanterns is such an epic waste of food. I have made soup with a couple of leftover fruit, but they're so bland. Prefer a butternut myself. Why not go back to carving turnips & neeps? They're eaten all year round and the bit that gets carved out can go in the pot straight away as opposed to the stringy, seedy mess that gourds have, with which you can't do much.

Why not go back to carving turnips & neeps?

I can answer that. They are an utter bastard to scoop out. Even if by some miracle you manage not to lacerate yourself, you'll almost certainly end up with blisters.

The trick is to cut around the perimeter of the topped turnip, then incise it into squares using vertical cuts, before cutting in at a 45o angle to get the cubes out.

post-17915-0-57905800-1542034335_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-94430000-1542034347_thumb.jpg

It's a rite of passage in Ulster childhood!

#Turnips4Life #NoPumpkinsHere

I find just repeating the same thing helps.

"This car of yours needs to be out of here by December the first. If it's still there on that date then I need to move it out into the road as I need my garage"

Whatever he says to you, just use the same reply. They soon get the message. Then stick to your word or people will just walk over you.

Apply for the V5. Then weigh the cunt in. 

attachicon.gifthere-are-twelve-days-of-christmas-none-of-which-are-6365430.png

Right, I've vented my spleen, and now I feel like pulling the shutters down now on all of this. See yis in January.

That was a highly articulate and vehement outburst Vyvian Datsuncog, much appreciated.

Sounds like Pembrokeshire farmers need to get on the 'Pumpkin Patch' bandwagon, that is set up lots of pumpkins together on a bit of grass, with some straw bales, checkered tablecloths and whatever other 'fall' accessories take your fancy.  Charge people a couple of quid to take selfies and Robert's your father's brother. 

Thanksgiving does generally keep the lid on Christmas here but that just means that the adverts for shit say 'holidays' before Black Fridaytm and Christmas afterwards.  It's carnage in US retail at the moment, Amazon is killing JC Penney, Sears, K Mart etc. and their marketing is increasingly shrill but with public radio, internet and Netflix if I do watch something it is possible to avoid most of it. 

It's a rite of passage in Ulster childhood!

#Turnips4Life #NoPumpkinsHere

Scottish childhood too.

And in Kent until the pumpkin came along in the late 80's. Trying to find a decent sized rutabaga/swede/yellow turnip/neep (delete as appropriate) is a bit of a chore though, they tend to cut the big ones in half now in supermarkets and the local greengrocers :/

We always carved a globular root veg when I was in the cubs (85-88)

Can pumpkin seeds be roasted? I help out scooping innards of upwards of 30 of the bastards for a kiddies' Halloween night at the local sailing club, and we generally end up with a couple of binbags full of mushy, stringy gloop and seeds that just gets lobbed in the bin.

edit to add; I did hollow out turnips when I was a young'un, although I don't believe photographic evidence exists. They were indeed hard work in comparison with these orange colonial interlopers.