The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Is it just me or is Halfords site a nightmare to navigate and has a habit of stalling and even crashing browsers?

Yes. I was trying to get a price online for a HB4 bulb yesterday; half the pictures wouldn't display and I ended up having to close my browser down via Programe Manager because everything froze up.

It's nice to see they've been thoughtful enough to make their online shopping experience just as frustrating, confusing and fruitless an experience as a visit to one of their bricks and mortar stores. Not all retailers pay that much attention to detail. ;)

Mummy got ye olde family cookbook out and says -

"Clean seeds under cold running water.Then boil in salted water in a large pan for 5 to 10 mins depending on seed size.Drain and lay on kitchen apparel.Season with salt and pepper or add chilli,cumin or paprika.Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade and spread seeds evenly on a large baking sheet for 8-10 mins.Store in an airtight container for up to 3days.After this they tend to lose their crunch"

And they were fab, I ate them by the fistful, but that possibly more for the fat bastard thread...

Apparently good for over sensitive bladders too, no I don't know why either.

This arsehole - came on the Rover 25/200/SW group last week asking how mucjh 25 GTis were worth because he'd been offered one for £300 with low mileage. Thinking he was a genuine MGR fan we all urged him to GIB.

Lo and behold, a few days later this happens

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/2000-rover-25-1.8-gti-3dr-silver-very-rare-gti-/1320463280

He then tries to sell it 'offers only' on the allied selling group. When someone asked 'price ?' I threw my toys out the pram:

25gti.png

He then offered me out via message:

25gti-2.png

25gti-3.png

25-gti4.png

To be fair, I didn't want to railroad his sale, and confirmed that

25-gti5.png

But my observations remain on the topic and everyone can see what a fucking leech this bloke is being...

It'll be deleted and appear again tomorrow. On the plus side, £1500 is a pretty fair price so I have put the word out.

Good luck to him if he can flip it for £1500.

Mummy got ye olde family cookbook out and says -

"Clean seeds under cold running water.Then boil in salted water in a large pan for 5 to 10 mins depending on seed size.Drain and lay on kitchen apparel.Season with salt and pepper or add chilli,cumin or paprika.Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade and spread seeds evenly on a large baking sheet for 8-10 mins.Store in an airtight container for up to 3days.After this they tend to lose their crunch"

And they were fab, I ate them by the fistful, but that possibly more for the fat bastard thread...

Worcester Sauce and Cajun spiced lso fantastic - The only reason I do the spiderman and apt America carving for munchkin if I'm honest. Luckily - once done they can sit outside with candles and aren't kicked down the street around here - another plus point...…

Fucking brilliant.

Just realised I've been driving without a licence since August. Because I have diabetes, I send forms to the DVLA every 3 years to renew. I did this in June.

My licence says valid from June 2018 to August 2018. I phoned them to enquire about this and they claim I just submitted a form to update my photo in June. I distinctly remember doing the medical forms. They take no responsibility for this. The online system isn't working because it can't verify who I am after I've put in my address and my passport number because I don't have a credit score because I've never had a credit card!

Off to the library now to print out the renewal forms. FFS! Glad there's a complete lack of police on the roads now!

Gearbox place have titsed the SVX big time.

Remember the HORRIFIC NOISES I was talking about?

Well, it turns out gearboxes like it better when they're attached to the fucking car by mounts, rather than flailing around under load.

It's not often I'm beyond words, but......

Anyone know any good pro bono solicitors? Manners fail me at this point.

Well, it turns out gearboxes like it better when they're attached to the fucking car by mounts, rather than flailing around under load.

That's shite......

House call from Warren T Claim?

Seriously if they are a friend they will be aware of what you are owed and trying to do something about it (hopefully)

Have you reminded them repeatedly and at length?

So far.....

Submitted invoice 12th October. Friend acknowledged it was received, etc no problems.

End of month saw no funds appear.

WhatsApp’d my mate to ask if there were any problems or issues as payment hadn’t come through. Despite reading the message (blue ticks 10 minutes after sending) he didn’t reply.

Sent an email this morning, all very friendly “Hi mate, hope you are well, sent you a WhatsApp last week but maybe it didn’t come through, just letting you know the invoice hasn’t been paid yet etc etc”

I can see his problem, he got me into his firm on a six month contract, two days a week. I ended up working a lot more than that but still only paid for two days a week. Ultimately the big project they had me on was pulled as it was costing too much so they are probably trying not to shell out for something they won’t be benefitting from but that’s not my problem. What was a problem was I had a months notice but they claimed it was only a week when they gave me the notification. Wasn’t a problem as had another contract to start. I can see my mates position in that he is caught between me and their finance director and doesn’t want to upset either so if I haven’t heard from him by Friday I will text him or email him again to say that if it’s OK with him I will approach their FD.

If they are refusing to pay for a good reason then great, tell me and we can discuss. If they are just ignoring me hoping I will go away then no, I won’t be doing that. If me pushing things starts to create a massive ball ache for my mate and creates problems at his workplace then maybe I will back off to save him the grief. But if everyone is just ignoring me, well that’s just plain rude and my mate isn’t as good a mate as I thought.

If I do contracting in future I will insist a clause along the lines of “we agree to pay for work invoiced. If we do not agree we will raise the issue within seven working days or acknowledge the contractor may take steps to recoup monies owed”

Why does everyone get so cross when they see someone trying to make a profit? - By Clayt's own admission the Rover's selling price of £1500 was fair enough, and even if it wasn't it's nobody's problem but the seller's when he doesn't sell it.

They don't, they just like to see the profit made from talent and hard work.

Profit's made when you buy, anyone can sell...If he can clear £1200 on a £1500 car he has a talent.

That's a fair enough point, but since blokey needed to beg advice from marque enthusiasts in order to establish that it was a rare car and a very good price, it's mebbe a bit dim of him to then try and sell it straight back to the same people who gave him the advice!

I've no real bother with folk turning a profit; in this case he's landed a tidy car at a good price and has no moral obligation to then sell it on below market value just because the previous owner did so. No quibble there.

But he definitely needs to work on his marketing strategy!

is the wife actually doing anything useful herself? it all seems/sounds like she just sat on her arse doing feck all and everything is your responsibility/fault

I will attempt a logical reasoned response to your question later.

You may struggle to get pro bonio for this sort of thing but moneyclaim online is supposed to be user friendly. Happy to help if you need.

ETA might be worth going for a direct access barrister if you have any cash to chuck at it

Ah, someone else with an auto gearbox problem....

Latest news on the CX is that it's having to be sent to a Citroen workshop in - get this - Heathrow in order to have the engine and gearbox dropped out. Then the gearbox only will make its way back to Staples Corner to be rebuilt, before going all the way back to Heathrow to be reattached to the engine and put back in the car.

This is going to be a little more costly than I thought. Fortunately I have money saved....

Ah, someone else with an auto gearbox problem....

Latest news on the CX is that it's having to be sent to a Citroen workshop in - get this - Heathrow in order to have the engine and gearbox dropped out. Then the gearbox only will make its way back to Staples Corner to be rebuilt, before going all the way back to Heathrow to be reattached to the engine and put back in the car.

This is going to be a little more costly than I thought. Fortunately I have money saved....

Really? Brodies is off the north circular and the only other I know is the one I use in isleworth.

That's a fair enough point, but since blokey needed to beg advice from marque enthusiasts in order to establish that it was a rare car and a very good price, it's mebbe a bit dim of him to then try and sell it straight back to the same people who gave him the advice!

I've no real bother with folk turning a profit; in this case he's landed a tidy car at a good price and has no moral obligation to then sell it on below market value just because the previous owner did so. No quibble there.

But he definitely needs to work on his marketing strategy!

This all day.

As I say, I think £1500 is a more realistic price - 25 GTis are well sought after and there's not many left on the road. 

What boiled my piss was the bloke trying to sell it back at six times the price he paid to the same community (myself included) who encouraged him to buy it  in the first place, thinking he was a genuine Rover-licker. And him thinking that this was in any way 'okay'.

Sure, if he'd invested some money in getting the belts done and given the car a full valet, that's different and proper Wheeler Dealers. But to expect to flog it with that sort of profit and doing fuck all to the car to improve its worth is never gonna end well.

Good luck to the lad if he turns a profit, but sadly for him the MGR community is small and word has already spread like wildfire about his antics. He'll be lucky to clear a grand now. I might ironically buy it off him at £301 when he's down on his luck and still saddled with it after it shits its head gasket and chews its belt to ribbons.