The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Look on the plus side...give it a few weeks and it will be completely impossible to find anywhere to park in any urban area until the new year.

I used to live a couple of hundred yards from one of the main City Centre car parks in Aberdeen. The queues used to pretty much continually extend back beyond the entrance to the car park for our flats pretty much as soon as you hit the second week in November. It got really, really, really annoying after a couple of weeks.

Phone payment systems are such a bloody pain that I refuse to use them. I'll gladly spend a few quid more to avoid having to deal with them. We've got them here too, but they totally fail to grasp the concept that people might have more than one car, and swapping vehicles takes about half an hour of shouting at the machine down the phone.

Feck. Arse. The lot. Firstly GDPR is preventing me from reading a lot of overseas articles but that needn't matter.

That doesn't compute... What are the circs?

And yes, all phone parking payment services are appalling.

My particular favourite was the one that wouldn't let me log into my account without me providing a reg number, which I couldn't provide because when I set it up I had a rental van and of course I couldn't remember the reg six months later. And I couldn't set up a new account because it's linked to the number you're calling from. So I tried using the app, which wouldn't work because it declined all the cards I had on me.

I used to use Parkonomy before they shut the wasteland opposite the office which masqueraded as a car park of sorts - bloody useful venue if truth be told.

Anyhoo, looks like your carpark is on their list - get yourself an account set up - you can pay by Paypal or debit/credit card before you even leave home. Untick the SMS reminder boxes to reduce the price by 20p, comes in at £12.05 per day :)

Great for shiters this service, as you can add many many cars to your account and you can even change them around on the day (or over the course of week/month/year) if one FTP

https://parkonomy.com/en/book/337/leeds/crown-street-corn-exchange

My grump for the day is wanky payment systems in carparks.

I'm in Leeds all week training & as I can't stand trains, they are always late/cancelled/full of annoying morons I'm driving in. The car park I've been using needs payment via an automated phoneline, great until their payment system breaks & it takes 30mins to pay for the day! I even phoned my bank to confirm it wasn't then declining my cards.

Yes I could pay cash on the machine, but that only does by the hour so it'd cost £18. On the phone is £12.25 for the day. I don't know Leeds so I don't know where else to park & neither google maps nor my sat nav can actually manage to tell the truth for a route in to & out of the centre I'm not looking for somewhere else at this time of the week.

Bulgaria uses scratchcards to pay for parking

You park up,go find the parking "assistant " who controls a few streets and buy your tickets from them

Different time periods are coloured various pastel shades and the time of purchase is scratched off the panels

Works well and fairly idiot proof

So they've started to change it to a mobile phone based system,obviously in Bulgarian and very rarely up and running

A friend was telling us how simple he found it though,right up to the point of returning to his vehicle which had been clamped as he'd put the wrong reg number into the text....

I used to use Parkonomy before they shut the wasteland opposite the office which masqueraded as a car park of sorts - bloody useful venue if truth be told.

Anyhoo, looks like your carpark is on their list - get yourself an account set up - you can pay by Paypal or debit/credit card before you even leave home. Untick the SMS reminder boxes to reduce the price by 20p, comes in at £12.05 per day :)

Great for shiters this service, as you can add many many cars to your account and you can even change them around on the day (or over the course of week/month/year) if one FTP

https://parkonomy.com/en/book/337/leeds/crown-street-corn-exchange

Ta.

I didn't know you can do it in advance as their website is utter shite, you can't get to any of it from the homepage unless you already know the URL!

Where I live (on a steepish hill) there was a car slid down a steep driveway into the middle of the road the other night. No-one home. Me and two others tried to do something about it because people race up the road this Clio was blocking. Weirdly the car wouldn't push. I reported it to the police just in case the owner was on holiday or something. I said I would set up a warning triangle and told the others to bring it back to me if they see any movement. A couple of hours later the car was moved. Owner home. I knocked on the door and explained what happened. He was grateful for me trying to prevent a car crash.

Anyway for doing the decent thing, some petty bugger stole my warning triangle. Pathetic!

Hooli use justpark and use someone's drive. Its usually dirt cheap.

Work are paying so I don't really care about the price, it's just bloody annoying when the payment system is faulty.

I don't pay for parking because motorcycle.

I'd do the same but it's overdue a service & I want to sort some grot on the oil cooler pipes so I refuse to change the oil & then have to drop it out again.

True, but after a few months of such cases being common & hitting the news then people would slowly start to wake up & start paying attention.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Good luck with that one :)

Just had a very, very, very close call.

Main distributor road through our neighborhood has a few points where the shared footpath/cycleway crosses it. One of these is literally about 20m from where you turn off the main (busy) 60mph road. Which turning right off you generally need to be quick because of oncoming traffic. There is zero visibility more than a couple of metres from the side of the road itself due to an embankment.

In the pitch dark just now a cyclist in all black, on a black bike without so much as a reflector on shot out there and across the road without even glancing up from where he was going, shot out there and in front of me. I must have missed the bugger by millimetres.

Also very nearly got rear ended by a double decker bus when I did an emergency stop in the middle of a roundabout when a moron in an Audi A8 decided - after making eye contact with me - to pull out in front of me. Apparently the give way to traffic from the right rule doesn't apply to him. Of course it doesn't, he's driving a gold Audi A8...

Solicitor complaining about getting paid to do extra work and being asked to do so at a pace greater than fucking glacial is making me incandescent with pure unadulterated rage.

I always used the same conveyancer - he was amazing. Proper normal bloke who’d shout down the phone and talk only in plain English. A wonderful man.

Then he retired.

We had to change solicitor halfway through our purchase because of absolute abject ineptitude. Have now found someone I’m happy with and she doesn’t look like she’ll retire for another 30 years.

Good luck man.

Is that something you can even do? Does the lender not get a bit twitchy about that

I already owe these folks a FORTUNE but it is mighty tempting.

Quite often a solicitor will be approved to represent a lender anyway. If not, you can use your own solicitor to act for you and a lender’s solicitor ONLY to act on their behalf. It’s a little bit more expensive - but ultimately your solicitor will still report to you and will receive the info from the lender so it’s quite doable. Now I think of it that is what happened with the place we are now in.

2 years ago:

Apparently giving a large amount of money to a family member with long term drug and alcohol abuse problems and a proven track record of inability to manage financially is a great idea and I'm not a nice person to say it's a train crash waiting to happen.

Today: Can xx borrow xx as they are being evicted next week.

Pass the brick wall to bang my head on please.

Brexit both sides need to say these are our terms and if you don't like it fucking do one.

Brexit both sides need to say these are our terms and if you don't like it fucking do one.

This comment shows a fundamental misunderstanding of a situation where one side holds all the cards and the other has chosen to shoot itself in the foot.

Exactly like negotiating with my mum, in fact.

My grump for the day is wanky payment systems in carparks.

I'm in Leeds all week training & as I can't stand trains, they are always late/cancelled/full of annoying morons I'm driving in. The car park I've been using needs payment via an automated phoneline, great until their payment system breaks & it takes 30mins to pay for the day! I even phoned my bank to confirm it wasn't then declining my cards.

Yes I could pay cash on the machine, but that only does by the hour so it'd cost £18. On the phone is £12.25 for the day. I don't know Leeds so I don't know where else to park & neither google maps nor my sat nav can actually manage to tell the truth for a route in to & out of the centre I'm not looking for somewhere else at this time of the week.

This is why I rarely pay for parking, it's too expensive and now too complicated. Usually I'll find an unrestricted side road or the back of shop that has closed down, it usually works. Mind you, Leeds is a pretty shit place to find anywhere to park for free.

Well this could be fun, I have won an item on eBay, in the seller's description it had the usual, only serious bidders, item advertised elsewhere, etc. I have contacted the seller to try to arrange collection, I have asked for some contact details and the address, not unreasonable as I will be coming from South Wales to Liverpool, so far, after several back and forth messages, I have a postcode but not an actual address and no phone number, but it will have to be collected before Saturday 4pm. I shall have another go at getting details but it's already winding me up.

Re paying by phone for parking: what do people who don't own a smartphone do?  Like, er, me?

(Nearest largest city to me is Birmingham, and I have often found trying to park there to be such a pisstake that on the occasions I go there I now don't bother driving and go by train instead.  Especially now apparently the whole of the city centre's roads are being bulldozed.)

Well this could be fun, I have won an item on eBay, in the seller's description it had the usual, only serious bidders, item advertised elsewhere, etc. I have contacted the seller to try to arrange collection, I have asked for some contact details and the address, not unreasonable as I will be coming from South Wales to Liverpool, so far, after several back and forth messages, I have a postcode but not an actual address and no phone number, but it will have to be collected before Saturday 4pm. I shall have another go at getting details but it's already winding me up.

At least you got a post code, you're already well ahead of where you'd be if the thing was in Fife.

The absolute best you'd get there is "x miles from Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee", if you get enough mileages from enough locations, you have go onto google maps satellite view to try and fucking triangulate the rough location like you're some kind of poundland army major looking for WMD's.