What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Driving around in something that predates undertrays has its moments.  There's a big puddle I often go through that all the modern SUVs gingerly skirt around for no reason.  See a puddle, make a splash, it's the law.  Immediately after there's traffic lights and when I came to a stop the Princess just disappeared in a cloud of steam thanks to warm exhaust and engine, making it look like something had gone catastrophically wrong.

As a happy little bonus, no belt squeal afterwards so it looks like the belt dressing on the auxilliary belt has done the trick for stopping that.

funnily enough one of the things that make me grin, is today I took delivery of my very first ZELMA, New Zealand Electric lamp manufactures association, made fluorescent tubes, the bottom 2 Cromptom tubes :)

IMG_4989.thumb.jpeg.e5d109c69a6f98efe51a2025b8ccd0bd.jpeg

this lot came from a fellow collector in Australia and also includes a couple more Australian made tubes for my collection too (and some unusual 50W and 70W HPS lamps that are US made, but made to European electrical specifications)

while very occasionally the odd Australian tube was found its way here in period, I dont think any New Zealand tubes ever made it over here in period, so I am quite pleased! they are a first for my collection, and they are also as a bonus, quite an unusual size and colour, 3ft T12 is quite rare in general, and deluxe white, Colour 34 is also quite rare, so they really are a tube of rarities :) 

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

funnily enough one of the things that make me grin, is today I took delivery of my very first ZELMA, New Zealand Electric lamp manufactures association, made fluorescent tubes, the bottom 2 Cromptom tubes :)

IMG_4989.thumb.jpeg.e5d109c69a6f98efe51a2025b8ccd0bd.jpeg

this lot came from a fellow collector in Australia and also includes a couple more Australian made tubes for my collection too (and some unusual 50W and 70W HPS lamps that are US made, but made to European electrical specifications)

while very occasionally the odd Australian tube was found its way here in period, I dont think any New Zealand tubes ever made it over here in period, so I am quite pleased! they are a first for my collection, and they are also as a bonus, quite an unusual size and colour, 3ft T12 is quite rare in general, and deluxe white, Colour 34 is also quite rare, so they really are a tube of rarities :) 

Wow that’s pretty niche collecting to say the least 😀👍🏼

23 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Driving around in something that predates undertrays has its moments.  There's a big puddle I often go through that all the modern SUVs gingerly skirt around for no reason.  See a puddle, make a splash, it's the law.  Immediately after there's traffic lights and when I came to a stop the Princess just disappeared in a cloud of steam thanks to warm exhaust and engine, making it look like something had gone catastrophically wrong.

As a happy little bonus, no belt squeal afterwards so it looks like the belt dressing on the auxilliary belt has done the trick for stopping that.

Wheras I had to drive a 21 plate with nothing but undertrays in torrential rain last Tuesday, that was horrible! 

Every puddle just smashed across all the plastic and made alarming noises. Even when we got up the m40 to where my commute is and I trusted where the motorway usually floods and could press on above 65 puddles I'd hit in the Xsara at higher speeds and not hear or notice again smashed into everything and made the most hateful sound! 

It did make its own cloud of steam, some underpass on the very beginnings of the m1 was flooded and I had to navigate it, did wonder to what waterline level an ioniq hybrid is safe to as I again, forgot I wasn't driving the Xsara. We didn't die though but big cloud of steam so we hit the tiny exhaust it has

Yesterday I ran errands in a couple of different cars not owned by me.

#1 was the Mk2 MR2 belonging to Miss SL's BF. Had previously only shunted it about. Wet roads and unfamiliarity meant I was being very careful, but I can see why he likes it.

#2 was the @RetroShite raffle price 205 which a non-AS friend won recently:

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.3c7830e8ba9c60128634d6b1d103aee5.JPG

I don't think I've driven a 205 since the late '80s (driving instructor's diesel, and a colleague's 1.6 GTi). Just the 1.1 but still went well, nice soft seats too.

On 26/01/2024 at 21:03, gm said:

this seems to happen every few months, the chester moor roundabout on the A167, it’s a 50mph limit on that stretch too

IMG_5931.thumb.jpeg.9a92357cfefa367aff6379df2bf6224b.jpeg

IMG_5932.thumb.jpeg.68de17413bf4b6b3fdc4c10668aaf8a1.jpeg

is there something wrong with french brakes ? another peugeot on the same roundabout as spotted last night by @DVee8junior

IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.9605cd89f9a1a303eddb08407737b19e.jpeg

IMG_6140.thumb.jpeg.0c95b81acc0f6fd41e0be4b4f2fbf581.jpeg

14 hours ago, gm said:

is there something wrong with french brakes ? another peugeot on the same roundabout as spotted last night by @DVee8junior

IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.9605cd89f9a1a303eddb08407737b19e.jpeg

IMG_6140.thumb.jpeg.0c95b81acc0f6fd41e0be4b4f2fbf581.jpeg

There's a roundabout that looks the same as that on the spine road in Thamesmead. It too seemingly has an unofficial competition to see who can clear it. To date even through local legend I have heard of nobody who has succeeded and it serves as a reminder of the fact that cars generally don't fly/land well. Despite the run in from Belmarsh prison being long enough to top out any vehicle I have driven I have never personally felt the need though can confirm the bump on the apex is enough to deeply trouble both your suspension and underwear.

On 11/02/2024 at 10:00, Spottedlaurel said:

#2 was the @RetroShite raffle price 205 which a non-AS friend won recently:

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.3c7830e8ba9c60128634d6b1d103aee5.JPG

I don't think I've driven a 205 since the late '80s (driving instructor's diesel, and a colleague's 1.6 GTi). Just the 1.1 but still went well, nice soft seats too.

Glad to see it is getting used.

Fantastic little car that goes really well and is amazingly solid.

So ive been doing this almost fifteen years and they hand prizes at the awards dinner where they announce that years points they often do odd ones like shittest photo furthest travelled  furthest away @Jim Bell etc

They posted some of the awarded photos on their page and i saw this

Brilliant 

Screenshot_2024-02-13-05-51-20-456_com.facebook.katana.jpg