The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 28/03/2024 at 10:30, andyberg said:

Bollocks

Screenshot_2024-03-28-10-27-49-226_com.android.chrome.jpg

I posted in my Safrane thread, but I forgot on here 🙄 

It's only a small patch required on the nearside sill and the spring mounting is the cup that the spring sits in on the shock absorber, so just a new shock needed no welding. Looking through the extensive history of the car these are still the original shocks! Who says french cars are tat????

On 26/03/2024 at 23:37, D.E said:

One chapter in this 1970s book ("The Small Business Casebook", S. Birley) is about the (mis)management of Gilbern. The price and specs of the Invader are being compared to other cars, but this list doesn't seem to make much sense? Cars in a totally different price and performance league (AC, Aston, Dino), the Citroen DS and GS, floppytop Cortina... Also, according to sir Google the Crayford William is a microcar!

IMG_20240326_231730.jpg.18d8be96611d42840f0514bd99e8a423.jpg

The Morgan +8 seems to have been a bit of a bargain? Cheaper than a Triumph estate, half price of a 911. 

33 minutes ago, EspenO said:

The Morgan +8 seems to have been a bit of a bargain? Cheaper than a Triumph estate, half price of a 911. 

I thought that. The current prices probably reflect the vast increase in labour rates since then. I don’t suppose the skilled craftsmen are relatively much better off , but it’s probably more due to overheads especially energy.

17 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

It’s sunny here in Scotland too. It won’t be in 10 minutes time but probably will be again within the hour.

All morning here, it’s like a heatwave…

I’m heading out soon, likely chuck it down now I’ve cleaned the car. 

After 3 years sat in the garage and only covering about 5 miles to the MOT station and back last year, my 75 has set sail, quite literally and has gone to some fanatical 75 collector in Belgium.     I now live in Gibraltar so getting the car over here was going to be costly and a bit of a faff to say the least.   It served me well for 8 years but deserved better in the end so some chap from Belgium contacted me and offered a healthy sum to acquire it.  

9b31f7a9-0eb4-4fea-893f-f6d93b0c7b54.jpeg

ea1b979c-888e-4fd7-a418-587b219d205d.jpeg

In other news I bought this recently, not my ideal choice of motor but second hand cars are somewhat limited here in Gibraltar and this has been well kept.    Very little choice of nice 15-20 year old stuff here.  It’s mostly death traps that haven’t been MOT’d since last millennium or nearly new Mercs and Range Rovers for eleventy million pounds, only for it to be scraped and dented before you get the thing a mile up the road.   So this tank was acquired, starting to quite like it and very practical for going shopping over in Spain (when our Spanish neighbours let us through the border) 

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2427.jpeg

6 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

I got a new car today!

20240330_140219.jpg.aa4f1b7f18abe04270b755488123ac0a.jpg

was amazed to find one in the wild, Home Bargains no less! 

I saw one of those in B+M in Berwnick upon Tweed, couldn't quite believe it 🤔

Astro passed its mot today, 1 advisory for an idler arm. Had to guide the tester through the test, he'd never done a test before where it had a cat but doesn't get a cat test, never done an mot with a steering box, never seen plastic leaf springs, never seen a hydroboost brake system, or front torsion bars..

Youngsters these days. Strange thing is, he's older than me! Been testing 4 years..

20240330_110948.jpg.5d9b8d6ad853ac43f13eaa8153f4f3f7.jpg

3 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

After 3 years sat in the garage and only covering about 5 miles to the MOT station and back last year, my 75 has set sail, quite literally and has gone to some fanatical 75 collector in Belgium.     I now live in Gibraltar so getting the car over here was going to be costly and a bit of a faff to say the least.   It served me well for 8 years but deserved better in the end so some chap from Belgium contacted me and offered a healthy sum to acquire it.  

9b31f7a9-0eb4-4fea-893f-f6d93b0c7b54.jpeg

ea1b979c-888e-4fd7-a418-587b219d205d.jpeg

Weird - I was thinking about this car just the other day, and in fact searched up the thread again.  If i'd known I'd have absolutely bought it, Primrose 75s are the best of the best.  

2 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Astro passed its mot today, 1 advisory for an idler arm. Had to guide the tester through the test, he'd never done a test before where it had a cat but doesn't get a cat test, never done an mot with a steering box, never seen plastic leaf springs, never seen a hydroboost brake system, or front torsion bars..

Youngsters these days. Strange thing is, he's older than me! Been testing 4 years..

20240330_110948.jpg.5d9b8d6ad853ac43f13eaa8153f4f3f7.jpg

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

40 minutes ago, SiC said:

Nice VTS 👌

Is it yours?

One car I'd like a go at sometimes but they seem to be already going up to crazy money or buggered rusty.

Not mine, belongs to the guy I share the unit with now.

20240330_204127.jpg.9c56ac00ee7e746c92264ff04e0bab4f.jpg

That's him doing prep work to remove the engine from his Grandeur

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Volvo xc90s use them too.