Autoshite Grand Tourers

They_all_do_that_sir

With the new top gear reminding us all of the true meaning of the word GT, as in Grand Tourer, I wondered what you lot would decree to be the best autoshite GT cars.

Something you would load with luggage and speed off to the south of France in for a spot of credit card touring.

No more than 2 doors, must have had style, grace and some pace in its day. not overly sporty but should be reasonably involving to drive and make a nice noise.

My first thought was Jag XJS but good ones are starting to get expensive. Mercedes 300e coupe?? maybe even an e36 coupe as long as it had the correct number of cylinders?

edited to ask - can soft tops be GTs?

If cost is considered, a MB C124 with an OM603 running on waste veg. Lake Como and back on £17.64 of fuel.

Otherwise a Cit SM or if that's not sufficiently autoshite then my scruffy old Sudsprint 1300 was smooth, swift and comfy enough to pass for a GT.

post-4845-0-01577600-1482153267_thumb.jpg

post-4845-0-02447900-1482152342_thumb.jpg

Lexus SC300 / 400 aka Toyota Soarer.

The 400 version has that lovely 1UZ 4.0 V8, meanwhile the 3.0 straight 6 would still be plenty to be getting on with.

I know that even an LS400 can be hustled around if need be, so I'm sure a smaller chassis would be even more engaging if required.

They can be had cheap too. As demonstrated at the Morris Lesley auction I went to in the summer. A tatty but easily sorted SC400 sold for £800.

XJ-Ss are still cheaper than most of what's been mentioned above, with the notable and honorable exceptions of the Accord Coupe and the 106 Diesel.

I'd say Rover 800 Coupe,

8024964.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C803864

or Renault Avantime,

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Renault-Avantime-2-0-16v-Dynamique-2dr-/201560331358

or maybe a Toyota Soarer if you actually want to get there under your own power.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Soarer-2-5i-Twin-Turbo-Auto-/381468448263

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Very Quiet - check

Huge boot - check

Reasonable economy + big tank = good range

Excellant air con - check

LHD for tolls - check

Very comfy seats - check

Very, very good autobox

It's a Chevy, so everyone will ignore it.

Handling is plenty good enough for holidays. I couldn't work out if it was front or rear wheel drive, so had to look underneath.

Definitely shite despite all the above qualities

I did a grand tour of sorts in this rented Monte Carlo, around California / Nevada. Damn good car.post-17481-0-14142000-1482162411_thumb.jpg

edit - No, soft tops cannot be grand tourers, not when open anyway. The essence of GT motoring is arriving unruffled after a long and fast drive.

Can't be done " in the wind".