The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It belongs to a friend but has been stored with me since 2015.  Last week I got an email out of the blue saying he'd like it back (ideally with a MOT)

You're a good friend.  Now that the Allegro is going I have a few cars that need storing...

This morning I have mainly been playing with this:

Brian 1.JPG

It belongs to a friend but has been stored with me since 2015. Last week I got an email out of the blue saying he'd like it back (ideally with a MOT) so a quick replenishment of fluids, pumping up of suspension and giving the fuel pump a bit of manual assistance to get petrol to the carb and away it roared. It will need a bit of attention with the sparkly stick; no surprise, it is an Allegro ater all.

I am 99% certain I have previously owned this, I would say in 2002/2003. (I know it's not the ex-wobbler one but I've had 2 russet brown VP aggs)

I am 99% certain I have previously owned this, I would say in 2002/2003. (I know it's not the ex-wobbler one but I've had 2 russet brown VP aggs)

When I speak to my friend again I'll ask him about the history.  He's owned it for at least 10 years now and there's a Brian Blessed TV connection somewhere in its past as well.

The Volvo 940 Wentworth is on the naught step. Last week it put it's Lambda Sensor light on

post-4915-0-75734500-1527090826_thumb.jpg

Earlier today it started running rough, then stalled outside the village butcher. Not wanting to waste an opportunity I bought a pork pie and had that. After that they car has gone back to running fine (but with the light on).

What does that light actually mean?

The Volvo 940 Wentworth is on the naught step. Last week it put it's Lambda Sensor light on

IMG_20180523_165213613.jpg

Earlier today it started running rough, then stalled outside the village butcher. Not wanting to waste an opportunity I bought a pork pie and had that. After that they car has gone back to running fine (but with the light on).

That's the square sausage light, it's run out. It knows this, which is why it stopped you by a butchers but you failed to give it square sausage, which needs to be fed into the 3rd slot down in the passenger side air vent.

That light means you must now fill the square sausage holder up And fill the irn Bru bottle up. Failure to do so within 3 days will trigger the homing mode, which will see the car make you roffle it, get won by a Scotsman and return to Scotland.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180523_165213613.jpg

LAMBDA SOND

I've not seen one of those badges in ages.

It's just a light saying there's an O2 sensor fault (duh). Could be the sensor, could be air/fuel mixture, or anything of that ilk really.

Lent a hand in dragging this out into the sun today.

post-17481-0-15381500-1527096358_thumb.jpg

Dormant in a garage for ten years, it's off to a new and active life. Super low miles, there are plenty of Insights with ten times the miles of this one. Two spare wheels for the completely flat rears, and out it rolled. No seized brakes, no aggro, and as it weighs two blokes less than a tonne, maneuvering and onto the trailer was an easy job.

Wandered there and back "the pretty way"

post-17481-0-37509800-1527096491_thumb.jpg

Used just over a gallon!

Well I’ve just got the Mercedes back. £844 plus change.

Plus black footprints on my silver grey overmats and doorcard!

One thing on the visual check was lack of bass horn. I’ve just looked and it’s getting 12v but horn not sounding. Swapping the leads over doesn’t help, so it’s a dead horn.

One of these at 500Hz if any one has one going? Otherwise I’ll check eBay.

Thanks,

Richard

Ps. Service guy was very pleasant and genuinely seemed happy to work on the older car ( or at least tell a minion to do so). Said it was very solid.

post-8687-0-28372300-1527096974_thumb.jpeg

Has anyone got a driver's side rear roof trim piece for a Volvo 740 or 940 estate going spare, colour immaterial? The screw cover on The Volvo's existing one flew off at 70mph on the A127 this evening; I saw it fluttering in my slipstream through the rear view mirror...

post-4796-0-51941600-1527097535_thumb.jpg

Strangely, eBay doesn't have any, which is unusual.

I appear to have been removed from one of the local fb car sales groups. I asked a seller via pm for the reg number obscured in his pictures to do an mot history check. Got a terse message back saying Id have to come and view the vehicle to find out.

Apparently he didnt like my response to this bit of infantile bollocks and managed to get me removed.

No. Sad. Loss.

Thanks to my work I'm c/o Travelodge Aberdeen for the evening and also chodless.

Anyone recommended anywhere in the city I can nurse a pint and have a scran on my lonesome?

There’s a Hungarian restaurant called Goulash on Adelphi Lane, a brew pub called 13degrees North just up from Morrison’s and a brilliant whisky pub callled CASC just off The Green.

When I speak to my friend again I'll ask him about the history. He's owned it for at least 10 years now and there's a Brian Blessed TV connection somewhere in its past as well.

I got it in Kettering and ebayd it to a tall thin funny and slightly camp feller whose eBay name was 'Sebagmont', I think he came to my flat in Manchester to collect it! That's about all I can remember as it was in the days before my tat blog!

Further to the previous entry: ebay folk want £35 plus post for a second hand hella horn, so I’ve ordered a new pair of Bosch in the correct dual tone hz ranges for £14 delivered. It’s not going into a concours so who cares? Strictly speaking I suppose one horn is enough, but it’s not right ( god i’m Beginning to know how xtriple works).

That's the square sausage light, it's run out. It knows this, which is why it stopped you by a butchers but you failed to give it square sausage, which needs to be fed into the 3rd slot down in the passenger side air vent.

That light means you must now fill the square sausage holder up And fill the irn Bru bottle up. Failure to do so within 3 days will trigger the homing mode, which will see the car make you roffle it, get won by a Scotsman and return to Scotland.

Lucky the Boaby light hasn’t come on. Or is that a come on?

Now it's working, I think I might keep this TT after all... The get-up and go it has is very addictive. Especially as it rattles through its cogs very quickly and little fuss. It's a bloody quick car.

Service is in 2.5k miles. If it's behaved by then, I might dish out 900 quid and get the gearbox sorted too. Actually not too bad as it is, just a little embarrassing when you have passengers and sitting in traffic. Basically like someone with poor clutch control. Sometimes you pull off and it's 100% ok, sometimes a gentle kangroo and very rarely it gives 2 decent bunny hops. But driving around town this evening has put my mind at rest that I can live with it like that for now.

I'm really not an Audi fan (yes I know I have 2) but they do handle very good and are nice comfortable places to be sat.

I appear to have been removed from one of the local fb car sales groups. I asked a seller via pm for the reg number obscured in his pictures to do an mot history check. Got a terse message back saying Id have to come and view the vehicle to find out.

Apparently he didnt like my response to this bit of infantile bollocks and managed to get me removed.

No. Sad. Loss.

Wasnt a Toyota was it?

Been doing a few hours work on the Dolomite in the garage as couldn't sleep and a warm night. Just tinkering around with the interior and heard a snuffling noise. Assuming it was the dog next door it was ignored. Then remembered that they don't have a dog now. Snuffling and noise of stuff being knocked over in the garage....

Then a hedgehog appeared! Have no idea how or when it got into the garage. No gaps large enough and have been away for a while. Whilst happy to see a hedgehog am concerned that it somehow got shut in there by me, but not sure how and when. Maybe it was hibernating. Dunno. Poor chap seemed pretty weak so put it onto the lawn with some canned dog food. After a while the dog food was munched and off he went. Thankfully.

Still mystified as from where he came from!post-5532-0-86428800-1527126000_thumb.png