Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: A Family Heirloom Arrives.

Project

• Please log in to reply
1446 replies to this topic

#1441 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 4,487 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:57 AM

You were quite hard on the accelerator on a cold and a not recently run engine though! :?

You wouldn't enjoy the road test video then.

• mk2_craig and timolloyd like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  243k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1984 Austin Mini.  58k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

#1442 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 4,487 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

A question if I may.

I need to replace the two flasher units under the bonnet. They’re both rusty AF, one has a broken pin and atm I’ve got no hazards or indicators.

OEM Lucas flashers are £5.

However, nobody seems to list the base for one of these. Seeing as they’re rusted to fuck, and one has a pin stuck in it, I was hoping to replace these too - rather than just buy the flashers, discover I’ve still no lights and then have further delay.

Any tips? It’s a 1984 Mini so 2 pin flashers.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  243k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1984 Austin Mini.  58k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

#1443 OFFLINE   Ben_O

Ben_O

• Full Members
  • 553 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Is it the type that plugs onto a black plastic connector that slides over a screw head on the bulkhead?

#1444 OFFLINE   Rusty_Rocket

Rusty_Rocket

• Full Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationKent/ Sussex border

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

If they're really bad, I usually cut the old plug off and crimp female spade connectors onto the wires.  Then the flasher unit plugs straight in.  Not for the concourse restoration but otherwise fine (and it's all hidden behind the manky sound deadening foam anyway!)

• BorniteIdentity likes this

#1445 OFFLINE   alf892

alf892

• Full Members
  • 2,225 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNorthants

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:18 PM

Yeah the A-series in my 1100 started absolutely sweetly on the first turn of the key. Way better than the B-series my MGB which takes a fair bit of cranking and a dance with the throttle + choke - something that many b-series seem to require.

You were quite hard on the accelerator on a cold and a not recently run engine though! :?

Good point ! but Mr B had had spent quite some time spinning it over on the starter by the time it ran...…..and the oil is surprisingly clean. In fact it does look like it was well looked after (mechanically anyway)before being laid up. Everywhere is well greased and even the handbrake quadrant are free.

In fact all work required is due to being stood really......and rust of course!

Its a nice car...……….

• BorniteIdentity and LightBulbFun like this

#1446 ONLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 2,225 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Guess it does show that being really unlikely doesn't necessarily mean impossible.

I don't know why, but I still keep a tiny hope alive that my first proper car, a very early Snapdragon Yellow MiniMetro HLE, NSA240W will suddenly reappear somewhere. Sold it in 2004-ish and it promptly disappeared without trace - have always assumed for scrap despite being a clean example. Still kick myself for selling it, and know I'll never manage to get another as prices have gone mental now.

If I found it though...yeah, I'd struggle to justify not buying it!

She was one that really liked to run on - had to stall it on quite a few warm afternoons after a long run.

I've still never even driven an original Mini though somehow!
  • egg likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 AC Model 70.

#1447 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

No turkey?!

• Full Members
  • 3,617 posts
  • 56 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Only just fully caught up with all this, but got the gist after seeing the BBC article. 

Excellent story thus far, keep up the good work.

• egg and LightBulbFun like this

Windows 10 Pro Licenses, £5 each, PM me for details.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users