The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Car spotting today whilst cycling en France. In 110km ... A c15d "first" edition,  beige bx with spoiler, two blobby c5s . Not older citroen though. Most common abandonned garden spot seemed to be vw golfs. Saxos popular with boy racers still who seem to think removing the exhaust will make it better.

Modern cars wise, dacia and Peugeot winning the small and large sectors.

Now in the hotel bar

IMG-20240305-WA0006.jpeg

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Car spotting today whilst cycling en France. In 110km ... A c15d "first" edition,  beige bx with spoiler, two blobby c5s . Not older citroen though. Most common abandonned garden spot seemed to be vw golfs. Saxos popular with boy racers still who seem to think removing the exhaust will make it better.

Modern cars wise, dacia and Peugeot winning the small and large sectors.

Now in the hotel bar

IMG-20240305-WA0006.jpeg

What are you drinking, a wheat beer? looks like a well deserved treat!

I got the replacement strut fitted on the 75 today, drives good again. I am definitely out of love with the bastarding thing now though but it is not the time to make shite-purchasing decisions. The Saab has been great apart from drinking my wallet dry.

Anyway, when I turned up at the garage a facelift Y reg 5 door Toyota Rockin' Rolla trundled out the garage. He said it was very good underneath and had only received 2 patches of welding. Y569DMS for the MOT checkers among us. Definitely  a shite friendly garage.

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I worked out last night I've moved 10 times in 25 years.  It's no wonder I struggle to finish anything.

Just the bloody admin from moving is a right old faff. Good luck in the new place.

I've lived in Kent all my life, boring sod that I am*

* NB: I'm using the pre-1965 measurement system of Kent that includes Bromley and Sidcup which 'we' gave up to London. When Kentish independence comes, they will be part of the negotiated settlement 😆

On 29/02/2024 at 16:53, D.E said:

My Dad's fairly new (December 2023, 4000 kms) Peugeot Partner is losing coolant, today was the second time in a few weeks the temperature warning light comes on and he has to stop and fill the reservoir. I don't see any obvious leak...

Update: the dealer agrees that it is definitely losing coolant, but so far hasn't been able to find the cause. Dad is driving a Corsa courtesy car atm.

In other news, I'll be driving more kms than usual in the coming months. I would prefer doing this in the 480, but still have the minor issue of idle speed fluctuating between 800-1200 rpm to solve. Once that's fixed, I'll book it in for an inspection.

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I got the replacement strut fitted on the 75 today, drives good again. I am definitely out of love with the bastarding thing now though but it is not the time to make shite-purchasing decisions.

I found the HBOL to be useless when it came to removing the struts on mine.  I just did it by eye in the end.

Just now, wuvvum said:

I found the HBOL to be useless when it came to removing the struts on mine.  I just did it by eye in the end.

The Haynes says you need to remove the entire hub to get enough clearance to slide the strut out which I cannot currently be arsed with.

The garage said they have an attachment on their gearbox jack that clamps to the bottom of the strut and compresses the whole thing upwards. Not sure how they then manoeuvred it out but I was happy to throw £50 to them which made the problem go away.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

The Haynes says you need to remove the entire hub to get enough clearance to slide the strut out which I cannot currently be arsed with.

The garage said they have an attachment on their gearbox jack that clamps to the bottom of the strut and compresses the whole thing upwards. Not sure how they then manoeuvred it out but I was happy to throw £50 to them which made the problem go away.

Ah yes, a strut mate. It's the substitute widow maker in case the scissor jack didn't collapse on you first 😂

Basically it jacks up the strut, compresses the spring in situ which allows you (them) to seperate the shock from the knuckle, push the knuckle out of the way, release the jack and then remove/refit the strut as normal. 

Then jack it up again when it's time to push it back into the knuckle

A clever bit of kit. Moderately dangerous, but saves seperating the lower ball joint and driveshaft where otherwise necessary 

9 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Volvo V70 D5 continues to provide sterling service.  I am curious if anyone knows of a cheap code reader? It would be handy I think to have around down the line. 

There seems to be loads of options these days, lots of new companies releasing amateur usage orientated devices

Depends on what you're looking to spend and what functions you'd like it to do. If you're after basic engine code reading/clearing then £10-20 would cover it. You can get the slightly more advanced units around £50 but their functionality is still quite limited. If you're wanting basic live data and special functions, as well as read/clear on a few other system then £100-150 would buy you one of the topdon/launch tablets which I would say are perfect for home usage.

If you're looking to get more advanced with live data/special functions in other systems then it goes upwards from £200-500 depending on what you need..

In summary, whatever the latest offering from Topdon or Launch in your price range is probably the way to go. There's Kingbolen as well. They're all mostly the same anyway 

9 hours ago, stuboy said:

Tidied some old car stuff in the front room.20240305_195454.thumb.jpg.69f01e764305443eb4139cd3a4968846.jpg

..and spotted a rivien whilst out and about..VideoCapture_20240305-211036.jpg.c1f317ecc299a3e99efd1cb93fd61b7c.jpgVideoCapture_20240305-211041.jpg.77101d1e9898fbbb907961b97daa8def.jpgVideoCapture_20240305-211046.jpg.10fa422d1afc5c8e0bd50c7930a33ce7.jpgVideoCapture_20240305-211044.jpg.496ed6f0aee212a694b28fbdfba205d2.jpg

Didn't think they was being brought into the UK.

Probably a gray import, and hopefully not the last one.

Found out the hard way today that if you spray CarPlan No.1 Super Gloss on your car and don’t immediately buff it all off, you end up with dried spots of CarPlan No.1 Super Gloss that are an absolute bugger to get rid off (any suggestions that don’t involve machine polishing gratefully received…) 😣

3 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

I started this month with one car which needed to be replaced. 

Six days in, and somehow I've ended up with - not one, not two, but - three additional cars. 

At this rate I'll be giving Philip Schofield a run for his money. With regards to excessive car-buying, I hasten to add... 

How old are they? 🤣

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Door handles have ECUs now and can have firmware updates. 

FB_IMG_1709802941118.jpg

Does this mean that you can be locked out of your car? Say for example the powers that be think you have done too many miles or need to restrict electricity because of high demand? 

2 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Does this mean that you can be locked out of your car? Say for example the powers that be think you have done too many miles or need to restrict electricity because of high demand? 

Nah. It's just a little microcontroller chip that does the touch sensitive unlock. Most cars still have unlock and lock buttons on the fob still anyway. 

TBF they've likely had chips in those handles for decades for touch sensitive unlock/lock. Just looks like Kia fucked up the software and it's crashing. Hence the special programming tool to reprogram it rather than doing over the obd port. 

8 minutes ago, SiC said:

Nah. It's just a little microcontroller chip that does the touch sensitive unlock. Most cars still have unlock and lock buttons on the fob still anyway. 

TBF they've likely had chips in those handles for decades for touch sensitive unlock/lock. Just looks like Kia fucked up the software and it's crashing. Hence the special programming tool to reprogram it rather than doing over the obd port. 

Maybe there's some kind of security vulnerability there? There's a load of trouble with Kia and Hyundai in the States. Theft insurance claims increased 1000% from 2020-23.

30 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Maybe there's some kind of security vulnerability there? There's a load of trouble with Kia and Hyundai in the States. Theft insurance claims increased 1000% from 2020-23.

I imagine it just sends a signal to say either a hand is there or not. Then it's up to the central locking system to decide if a fob is in sufficient range. 

The Kia Hyundai theft problem in the US is simply because for some bizarre cost cutting reason, they put no identification chip in the ignition key. Something that has been in cars for nearly 3 decades now. Iirc it's mandated under EU regs that there is a immobiliser system but US regs don't. Hence someone in Kia/Hyundai must have decided they could get away with saving a dollar or two by not having it. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Door handles have ECUs now and can have firmware updates. 

Makes me think a good business to get into would be diagnostic services with dealer spec gear, auto electrician or locksmith. All trades that should continue to thrive while a chap in a rented archway under a railway line might suffer.