The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

I wasn't allowed to park in the 90s cool kids in-field. 

Same. I brought my Puma hoping to make the 'top table' but no, not cool enough - into the pleb field please sir. 

Honestly though when are they going to get another SVX at the Scramble? They should have given you the red carpet. 

3 hours ago, grogee said:

Same. I brought my Puma hoping to make the 'top table' but no, not cool enough - into the pleb field please sir. 

Honestly though when are they going to get another SVX at the Scramble? They should have given you the red carpet. 

It's the only one that goes, it's done two Radwoods and now a Scramble. 
I'm more surprised than annoyed TBH, you can't expect the door staff (many of whom might not be into cars) to know what it is, it's just an old, groaning heap of shit to them.

I did think of just driving across and leaving it there, but one of the marshals was really arsey when I tried to short cut. Wasn't worth getting into a row over, so I left it. 

Connect is back with the biggest garage bill I have ever had.  I won’t complain though because this is more than I have spent in consumables, parts, repairs in the ten+ years this has been my daily.
IMG_2691.thumb.jpeg.b9409688ed0ed3a372dc6e584c9e3f0f.jpeg

It’s been away for a month for a clutch and MOT but it seems a lot longer as the test expired in October and there was a long wait at the garage (caused by a big seasonal rush due to the covid mot-extension).  And then the clutch, which has been intermittantly slipping for at least six years, began to slip more than it was practical to drive around and they were just too busy to fit me in until Christmas. And then their petrol-emissions machine broke, and the clutch, which is special to petrol-Connects was delayed… but all good now. I knew MOT needed a driveshaft boot so I bought a whole driveshaft assembly back in the summer but never bothered to fit it. Which is ok because when they are doing the clutch, the driveshaft change is no extra work. The thermostat housing is plastic and was changed by the dealer when I bought it 10+ years ago. The old clutch felt ok, but the new one is amazingly light in comparison.

Do you like my giffer-mod gingercators?

IMG_2608.thumb.jpeg.479df47d66457323b9b12f015577c763.jpeg

On 12/01/2024 at 14:21, auntiemaryscanary said:

Minor racking update.

I'd collected a couple of thick pallets for the boarding but wasn't satisfied and couldn't be bothered arseing about with something that would never be to my requirements. Chipboard decking is available but once it gets damp/wet it's useless.

eBay had loads of ready made timber examples but most had wide gaps so I found some "closed" versions with a minimal gap leading to a run down to the beautiful West Mids.

IMG_20240112_094151256.thumb.jpg.3787c5c8e8c1fb55e597088d3ca373b6.jpg

£15 each (no vat, no receipt - £18 if wanted a bit of paper). 6 bought which covers 3 levels. Timber is 32mm thick. But my god they were filthy. Pic after they were hosed done. I was expecting more marks, stains etc. I reckon they've just been sat in an unused corner of a factory for a long time.

There's approx 11+ linear metres in each one. I can't get the timber that cheap, nevermind the faff of cutting and assembling.

Each one is 1340mm long. They would have fit in the back of the Doblo but some of them would have rested on the protrusions of the folded up rear seats. 4 Allen bolts and washers and the seats are out. I've had the f-ing thing 12 years and never had the seats out.

IMG_20240112_135424543.thumb.jpg.f6a5f7ffa8c8a504a42a9f0025ad7edf.jpg

Yeah I know it's filthy but would ya look at that load space!

(The owner of the racking place had a modern Jag in bits. He says "I'll get this Jag back together one day". I said nowt, very unlike me :) )

Major racking update

After visiting an v unwell family member today I thought a bit of physical was called for...

IMG_20240113_173325236.thumb.jpg.88f3bc561c5f358949058607aad80b86.jpg

IMG_20240113_173347721.thumb.jpg.0a993bcb1d9b84330011a6445461ce2c.jpg

I'm well impressed with the set up. It's absolutely rock solid. I used the middle level as a platform to lift (solo) the top level beams in place. 

I'm trying to balance the work bench height against maximising storage space but the middle bench level is going to have to come down a bit.

Cost was £130 for the beams and uprights. The boarding was another 90 quid so total of £220. I also got another set up of a loft over the garage door (see a page or 2 back) out of the original racking purchase so a right bargain I reckon.

Slight issue is I've got to fill these gaps

IMG_20240113_173521515.thumb.jpg.4308486831483f0e8fe1949194bdfb9a.jpg

You can't really tell in the pic but the brick roof supports are in the way of the racking going flush with the rear wall. The gap is about 8". I plan to fill by screwing 3 x 2 to the wall and the boarding and infilling with cut pallet slats.

I've still 12 beams left, probably cut em up and use as fence posts up the allotment

TOP TIP: There are different makes of racking - Link51, Redirack, Mecalux, Stow (mine) etc. They are all proprietary and not interchangable between makes. So if buying any stick to one brand.

24 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

Very nice bit of kit...... Would you not be able to sell off the other beams to other nutters like us and recoup most of your costs perhaps? 

I could try to flog em, they are approx 2.85m long (Inc the bracket bits) so they won't go in a Fiesta! Not sure I can face the great unwashed via auction sites/bumtree They aren't that expensive to buy from used dealers. There are 12 on eBay for £40. There are some 2.3m ones for a fiver each.

4 hours ago, stuboy said:

Thought I'd make a start swapping the egr valve, day 1 ,struggled with 2 bolts getting out, no room , freezing cold, got it off,my body said it was time !! 2'c couldn't feel my feet and toes, fitting new one will be a pain...

20240113_124055.jpg

20240113_144324.jpg

20240113_144330.jpg

20240113_144704.jpg

20240113_144917.jpg

20240113_144919.jpg

20240113_144920.jpg

20240113_144924.jpg

20240113_144947.jpg

20240113_144949.jpg

just realised when bagging up the used torn gloves the plunger on the old one had no resistance, when compared too the new one... that the fault i bee getting>??

VW FOX COLLECTIONED

Some cack collected today from an old work mate. No collection thread as I don’t think modern dross like this warrants one. It didn’t go without incident though. I drove the 15 miles or so to my friends house and realised I’d randomly forgotten my detachable tow bar, drove home to get it, hoofed it back and hooked up the A frame then realised I’d left the extension lead to my trailer board at home too! Honestly, I think I’d forget my balls if they weren’t attached to me! 

By the time everything was hooked up, money had changed hands and tea had been drunk  it had gone dark so I towed the new purchase home with the engine running and the lights on without event. 

This little Fox is in pretty good shape despite being parked up for 18 months. The battery is totally knackered but I don’t think it will need much for an MOT. 1200cc and 3 cyl! 

I think these VWs were built in Brazil and the Fox was a stopgap model in Europe as the Polo had got too fat and they needed a new small car in the lineup. 

OBV it will just sit around for another 18 months before I fill it with random scrap and weigh it in. 

IMG_4623.jpeg

14 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Screenshot_20240114-082916.thumb.png.f524b864abc3922818cf99746e69b6bc.png

It would be weird if she returned as anyone else wouldn't it. If she came back as Grant Mitchell or Arthur Fowler it would probably be confusing for the viewers.

But how is this news anyway??? Just some hard up actress getting her old job back because she can't do anything else... I don't understand why it makes the headlines on the BBC, Sky and whoever...

2 minutes ago, andyberg said:

But how is this news anyway??? Just some hard up actress getting her old job back because she can't do anything else... I don't understand why it makes the headlines on the BBC, Sky and whoever...

Because click bait for ad revenue, and enough people fall for it.

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

BBC seem to spend a lot of time reporting about  themselves these days. Very cheap to gather news.

19 hours ago, Asimo said:

And the clutch, which is special to petrol-Connects was delayed… but all good nowIMG_2608.thumb.jpeg.479df47d66457323b9b12f015577c763.jpeg

There's a petrol  Connect? Every day's a school day. Is it a 1.6 NA? 

I really really like the Connect. Seems very no-nonsense. 

19 hours ago, Lankytim said:

VW FOX COLLECTIONED

Some cack collected today from an old work mate. No collection thread as I don’t think modern dross like this warrants one. It didn’t go without incident though. I drove the 15 miles or so to my friends house and realised I’d randomly forgotten my detachable tow bar, drove home to get it, hoofed it back and hooked up the A frame then realised I’d left the extension lead to my trailer board at home too! Honestly, I think I’d forget my balls if they weren’t attached to me! 

By the time everything was hooked up, money had changed hands and tea had been drunk  it had gone dark so I towed the new purchase home with the engine running and the lights on without event. 

This little Fox is in pretty good shape despite being parked up for 18 months. The battery is totally knackered but I don’t think it will need much for an MOT. 1200cc and 3 cyl! 

I think these VWs were built in Brazil and the Fox was a stopgap model in Europe as the Polo had got too fat and they needed a new small car in the lineup. 

OBV it will just sit around for another 18 months before I fill it with random scrap and weigh it in. 

IMG_4623.jpeg

Do like a fox to be fair, if it works. Currently look after one with 150k on the little 1.2 6v unit. Everyone says it should have ceremoniously died about 100k miles ago as they all seemed to do, but it still chugs along. 

The engines are definitely not bulletproof. And power steering modules do go. But other than that, not bad

The 1.2 6v is stupidly low insurance group as well which makes them quite popular 

Spent the day ripping the old rotten giffer-made workbench out of the garage along with clearing a lot of shite we put in there in storage but got ruined by damp.

Did 2 runs to the only tip which doesn’t need a booking (which comes of an end early February). Moved my Lidl no-bolt shelves to where the workbench was, and I’m almost ready to use the garage for actual car parking and car maintenance.

What’s left without a place to live needs to go in the shed. Which is full, so I’ll have to clear that after work tomorrow (I’m doing a half day of overtime) to accommodate the stuff displaced from the garage.

On 12/11/2023 at 20:05, wesacosa said:

6 weeks in from the Mayor's and TFL's beacon of numskullery by making a main stretch of the South Circular 20mph (yet keeping the following narrower section of road with parades of shops 30) I wonder how it's going

Screenshot_20231112_200051_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6f0b0439b5fc10f09544caa3b11580a7.jpg

Aaah 

20231112_195546.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_200054_Gallery.jpg

oops its not going well, Sadiq.  10mph next?!

20240114_200227.jpg

Went to BiL's house today for a family gathering. He rents his garage out to a mate who is a car dweeb like us and previously there was some JDM saloon in there that he's now done up and sold. 

Now he's got this Celica GT-4 which has just been in for bodywork and it looks the bollocks. I'd love one of these. 

20240114_133551.jpg

20240114_133602.jpg

20240114_133613.jpg

/\ Nice!

On a related note, anyone walking past out house this morning would have been treated to this sight:

IMG_9266.thumb.JPG.50443485567357b9f5a64e12ab37d0a1.JPG

All run essentially the same 2-litre engine, and between them they've done around half a million miles.

The Carina E continued to do a fine job of being my weekend transport. As appropriate to my middle-age, yesterday it took me to an optician's appointment for new varifocals, and today it was used for a trip out to the garden centre.

Potholes - and they wonder why people buy 4x4's with decent suspension.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67957584

"The AA said it dealt with 631,852 pothole-related incidents related to tyres, wheels, steering, and suspension last year - another five-year high according to the organisation". Sounds a very high number of 'incidents'.

Apparently robots and making the roads out of plastic is the answer. 

Must be a slow newsday - and another free advert for the AA.