The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Every morning I drive past a layby near Mastin Moor and at least once a week there's a big pile of shit dumped there. It's 1 mile away from that tip. People are just arseholes I suppose.

Twas nice to meet you earlier by the way, I'm busy looking at bigger solar panels and charge controllers now! Sorry if I was a bit quiet - I'm knackered!

Day trip to France today in the 19. 327 miles done without issue, apart from a few butt clenching moments where it wouldn't start on le shuttle. I think it was luck more than anything which prevented me being 'that' person in a rubbish old car causing delays.

Being photo bombed by a Xantia

post-5013-0-73481600-1538860626_thumb.jpg

In a village called Ault in the Somme department where I also spotted a 25, 21, Safrane, Mk1 Uno and this minter...

post-5013-0-61590900-1538860758_thumb.jpg

The rotten to feck A-pillar is what impressed me most!

I also wanted to go to the Renault factory in Douai where 19s were made, but couldn't be bothered in the end. The car itself drove well the whole trip, and is quite relaxing being comfy with the 1.4 Energy engine being unobtrusive (or maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough...)

On the way back to Calais I was thinking how open for business France seemed today, but as if to prove Junkman right I saw this.

post-5013-0-59531700-1538862276_thumb.jpg

Bit annoying as I really needed a piss at that point.

Sounds a great road trip! Did you see many other 19s? And did you get any double takes with the uk plates?

Nope, none others. Funny you should say but I did get quite a few looks, and the woman at the Eurotunnel terminal directed me to the LHD kiosk. Light was fading and she obv just assumed I was a Frenchie!

Got some stuff done today despite the weather.  The Rover 45 now has a shiny new cat, a shiny new offside rear wheel bearing and a shiny new nearside rear anti-roll bar bracket. 

The bracket was the most awkward bit - getting the old one off wasn't actually too bad in the end, the set of bolt extractor sockets I'd ordered off eBay arrived yesterday and whilst the 10mm socket wouldn't get a grip on the bolt head, the 9mm was persuaded on with a bit of help from a lump hammer and that wound the bolt straight out.  One of the bolts holding the bush onto the bracket needed similar treatment.  Getting it all back together was a bit more involved - for one thing three out of the four bolts were shagged so I had to go out and buy some more, and I'd also managed to bend the metal frame of the bush whilst wiggling it around trying to get it off, so it took a while for me to persuade it to line up properly - got there in the end though.

The wheel bearing was a piece of piss as expected - the bit that took longest was getting the drum off, it wouldn't come off for love nor money for about 20 minutes and then it suddenly came away in my hands.  No, I don't know either.  The cat wasn't too bad of a job - 6 bolts, none of which was seized amazingly, and the gaskets on the car were reusable (a good thing because the cat didn't come with any) so it was just the faff of getting everything to line back up (and stopping the fugging gaskets falling out) whilst lying under the car with the exhaust about 4" above my head.  Again though it's on there now, and I couldn't detect any gas leakage when I fired the car up - it hasn't made the exhaust much quieter though.

So it should be more or less ready for its retest now - all I need to sort is a rear tyre, I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to try and get the local tyre place to fit one of the decent 185/55x15s I have in stock, or whether I should just borrow a pair of wheels from the Rover of Doom to get it through the test.  I might have another bash at bleeding the brakes too - they're not too bad but the pedal could be firmer.

The Merc now has new wiper blades all round, and I've had a first go at cleaning the inside of the windows, which were filthy - I'm going to have to have a second pass tomorrow I think, but I can see out of it much better now.  I'm still thoroughly enjoying driving it.

I haven't tackled the CV joint on the Audi yet - that will be a job for tomorrow if I can be arsed, as well as sorting the directional control for the heating on the LDV.

I must get into Europe and have a pootle about sometime soon.

Any particular reason you went over today, Rob?  Or just fancied it?

Just fancied it really, plus a little road trip acts as an antidote to the boring daily grind.

Le Touquet is a nice place to go, with the added bonus of a Renault 20 in residence. I've seen it a few times now, parked in different places so it's a runner!

post-5013-0-20350300-1538907547_thumb.jpeg

The mighty Grand Espace 3.5 V6 has been awoken from hibernation.  I am having a 2.2 dCi traded in this week that will donate loads of parts to it and finally give me the push I need to tidy up and MOT the beast.

post-5127-0-52906900-1538912205_thumb.jpg

Really looking forward to the Classic show at the NEC in November, will do the usual of making it a week long trip to see the relatives in the Midlands, coincides nicely with bonfire night and Diwali in the same week, always a great time to be over.

The options are.... fly over, fly back (cheapest option but, yawn).  Fly over and book nothing back (the last two times I've done this it's ended in driving a Laguna V6 and a Cadillac CTS back to Belfast).  Or drive over, probably with the CLK. The ferry is an absolute fortune, but probably works out cheaper in the long run as I won't buy unnecessary tat when I'm over.

I found a perfect solution instead of having to buy a new head unit and faff about fitting it. There's an input lead that directly plugs into the stock Bose system of the Mazda. Cost about £5 and I've hidden the wire to pop out the driver side, and I can plug in an aux lead into the female unit. Now I can play my songs and this lead has a mic (from Halfords) and works very well to take hands free calls too.

post-20875-0-23642200-1538914762_thumb.jpg

post-20875-0-68798000-1538914772_thumb.jpg

Day trip to France today in the 19. 327 miles done without issue, apart from a few butt clenching moments where it wouldn't start on le shuttle. I think it was luck more than anything which prevented me being 'that' person in a rubbish old car causing delays.

Being photo bombed by a Xantia

attachicon.gif20181006_143610(0).jpg

In a village called Ault in the Somme department where I also spotted a 25, 21, Safrane, Mk1 Uno and this minter...

attachicon.gif20181006_142446.jpg

The rotten to feck A-pillar is what impressed me most!

I also wanted to go to the Renault factory in Douai where 19s were made, but couldn't be bothered in the end. The car itself drove well the whole trip, and is quite relaxing being comfy with the 1.4 Energy engine being unobtrusive (or maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough...)

On the way back to Calais I was thinking how open for business France seemed today, but as if to prove Junkman right I saw this.

attachicon.gif20181006_191248.jpg

Bit annoying as I really needed a piss at that point.

Bloody hell I’ve never seen with rust quite like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Siouxsie and the Banshees - Superstition cassette tape. 1991-2018.

I was a bit worried it was the deck but on inspecting the casette it looks like at some point another deck has had a nibble on the tape and someone has rewound it, there's a portion that's all creased like it's been mangled around the inside workings of a deck.  None of my other tapes are exhibiting these symptoms and this tape was second-hand.  Still got a couple of years enjoyment out of it all the same.  Time to go shopping for random selections again I think.  Toyah and Prefab Sprout are still doing fine, thankfully.

RIP Siouxsie and the Banshees - Superstition cassette tape. 1991-2018.

I was a bit worried it was the deck but on inspecting the casette it looks like at some point another deck has had a nibble on the tape and someone has rewound it, there's a portion that's all creased like it's been mangled around the inside workings of a deck.  None of my other tapes are exhibiting these symptoms and this tape was second-hand.  Still got a couple of years enjoyment out of it all the same.  Time to go shopping for random selections again I think.  Toyah and Prefab Sprout are still doing fine, thankfully.

Want this? 

post-4025-0-51976100-1538943434_thumb.jpg

PM an address if you want it.

Well the Audi is mobile again, ish.  The CV joint I bought turned out to be the wrong one - looked pretty much identical, but the ABS ring was very slightly larger which prevented the joint from fitting into the hub.  Of course I didn't discover this until I'd fitted it onto the driveshaft - and having twatted it on with a large hammer, it was very reluctant to twat off again, and I must have pissed the neighbours off royally with the combination of banging and swearing.  Got it off in the end though.  As the old CV joint was also now off the car, I was able to get all the ball bearings back in their proper places (having cleaned them all off first obvs) - I then repacked it with the rest of the grease which came with the new joint, and refitted it to the car.  Then I had great fun* refitting the rebushed wishbone and bolting everything back together. 

So it moves under its own power again, and I drove it about 1/2 mile earlier with some reasonably tight turns included and nothing fell out / off, but something is now rubbing and another something (or perhaps the same something) is making a loud droning noise above about 20mph, so that's going to need looking at again - unfortunately I'd run out of daylight by that point.

Another 260 miles in the Rover today, driving back from Sussex, including a visit to Goodwood. Mrs DW did a long stint in the Rover and was getting quite a hoon on by Herefordshire! She finds the lack of grunt on hills very annoying. I just mash the throttle into the carpet, which makes it double-kickdown...

My brothers A4 TDi has had overboost issues for a while but has become undriveable recently, as it drops into limp mode if you accelerate through 40 mph.

I took the turbo off to find the variable geometry actuator arm sticking and notchy. He’d had a quote of 700 quid to fit a new turbo, but I’ve stripped and cleaned these before with success.

A mornings work has the car running so much better. It goes like it should and seems quieter. As you can see there was a huge amount of carbon causing the vanes to be impeded in their operation. I used alloy wheel cleaner to great effect.

post-19581-0-48578500-1538948412_thumb.jpeg

Heading to France tomorrow for hopefully some sun and definitely some of the local wine. My place is 939 miles from here. I have a kitchen to take down so borrowed a friends 12x6 plant trailer to take it. We built a frame to the top of the tailgate so now it is a 12x6x6 covered trailer. Decided there was space now so added a double bed and mattress. No space in the trailer now! Oooh, look - it has an extended draw bar for the digger bucket - so lets fit 4 x pushbikes on there then. Using the recently acquired 500 quid Misubishi Pickup to tow it and no point in wasting all that space. Started with a 2 seater settee and cushions, then all the kitchen fitting equipment, including chop saw and table. Then several bags of stuff for a fiend and his family who are joining me next week. Managed to get the tailgate shut, but dare not open it again until there.

That left the double cab. In the back are the glass kitchen unit doors and shelves, the sink, taps etc, plus the spares for the trip. Plus assorted small stuff, just about up to the roof in there. The front footwell has the trolley jack, socket set and assorted tools, and in the morning the laptop bag will go in there, and my bag of clothes across the top and onto the passenger seat. I wanted to take my Henry Hoover, but sadly have run out of space, It is FULL!

Only have 2 worries now. 1. Customs at the Tunnel - I hope they do not want to go through anything! 2. Will the 500 quid WBOD make it?

Watch the grin and grump threads for the next 36 hours for a probable answer!