HMC- NEW - No longer ice cold mitsi (where did my gas go?!)

HMC

Just now, dave j said:

That Beetle belonged to a mate of mine until a few months ago, before that it had been laid up in a garage in Plymouth for a few years! Will be good to see it in use

Good to hear some of its history!

Wonder if it started life as a RHD car or whether it’s been converted? My ‘84 Mex was a left hooker.

Possibly interested when it comes up, weirdly I’d want it more if it were wrong hand drive.

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

There's actually something to be said for taking the "wrong" car to a one-make event, the Daimler would be very welcome 

In 1995 I went to bug jam in my Jetta Syncro because both of my bugs had gone wrong (and I don't think I had rusty the bay window bus then)...

3 hours ago, 83C said:

Wonder if it started life as a RHD car or whether it’s been converted? My ‘84 Mex was a left hooker.

Possibly interested when it comes up, weirdly I’d want it more if it were wrong hand drive.

If memory serves all the Mexican beetles left the factory as LHD and the RHD conversions were done by the importers.

I've only ever owned one beetle, it was a 72' 1300 and was a solid thing. I still kind of hated it though as it always FTP at the worst possible times

And Yet, I really quite like the look of your new one @HMC

I think there is some weird masochistic streak running undiscovered in all of us here 

I do like a Beetle with  just a very slight nose down stance and empi alloys.

But Christ on a bike i've just had a look at its mot history (is it just me who does this ?) the old girls had a mountain of corrosion fails over the last decade but now she's gained a clean pass.

Do the Mexican ones rot as bad as their German counterparts ?

Yes if you don't keep an eye on things.

Brazilian buses can be "interesting" too as South America doesn't really need much in the way of rustproofing.

I remember seeing brand new imported campers with lots of surface rust on the front suspension trailing arms etc

29 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I last saw a Datsun 120Y coupe  - at Bugfreeze when I went in my Trabbie.

I saw one (or was it a Cherry?) at Bug Jam in the early 90s that had a very DIY roof chop and was cruising around the site all weekend full of blokes. Such things are now frowned upon unfortunately 

If the new owner of the Crown Vic limo is wondering what to do with it, they are very useful for transporting livestock: 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-66668411

I like how only the ‘P’ and ‘O’ letters were removed from the former police vehicle’s markings, so not only was the owner driving about in a car with a bull in it, he was also displaying ‘LICE’ on one side of his car. 

• HMC changed the title to HMC - goodbye limo, hello Beetle
9 hours ago, Joey spud said:

I do like a Beetle with  just a very slight nose down stance and empi alloys.

But Christ on a bike i've just had a look at its mot history (is it just me who does this ?) the old girls had a mountain of corrosion fails over the last decade but now she's gained a clean pass.

Do the Mexican ones rot as bad as their German counterparts ?

You can buy every single panel pretty much for these and being a mexi it's actually more likely to fit on it than a German one.

That said whenever I hear "solid in the right places" in relation to an air cooled VW, I do wonder how deeply they've dug into it as they hide a lot and really due to the construction of the cars, any corrosion that's holed through wants chopping out and sorting, and you can end up picking the whole car apart quite easily if you're that way inclined.

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

Hi guys, its me. I pressed the nuclear button a few days ago, Its got nothing to to with any posts on this thread, but for me its a place to share our love of chod, and its a hobby. I aim to have fun, and share in your enjoyment of your cars too. Lifes short, eh?

Whats been going on chez HMC?

The limo collection has been arranged by the buyer. I wont say any more but its going to be an epic road trip!

The mexican beetle. 

IMG_3943.thumb.jpeg.fcce51ded6c467ffe9825337072255ec.jpeg

Its got actual patina (aka knackered paint, damage , etc) but i felt immediately that the sprayed up dotone steels were trying too hard; so i painted them silver.

IMG_3953.thumb.jpeg.339bdd89d491f9ede0e41ad150cd5968.jpeg

After filling up it was smelling very fuelly. I found out the petrol rank sender wasnt sealed properly so i got out the blue hylomar and that sorted it.

And the front plate had to go….

IMG_3944.thumb.jpeg.c99e5b750761ec6a2ebce89913433863.jpeg

IMG_3955.thumb.jpeg.e9d79b36f2fb50367c7f0778f88721c0.jpeg

To celebrate i went for a drive….

IMG_3960.thumb.jpeg.b17e930350003231b32a86f7821c3d07.jpeg

IMG_3962.thumb.jpeg.1d59ce5c296f6b663bd336c541f4429a.jpeg

IMG_3966.thumb.jpeg.81d10114840562f64aa74325fc57e7c6.jpeg

Still on my never ending list of things to own. So this leads me to ask the time honoured question

What's it like to drive mister?

(Sorry HMC, you must be fucking sick of this by now)