Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

45 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

I saw this on ClioSport parking thread and wondered how I'd never heard of a Vauxhall Cascada...

cascada.thumb.jpg.43ff995bb912a02d42aec893391912b1.jpg

Because they only sold about 10 of them. 

I think they were originally a Buick design for the states.

When I worked for Vauxhall, we had one in the showroom for about 2 years with absolutely zero interest in it. They ended up pre-reg and flogging it as a used car for about 8k less than the list price. Even then it took a while to shift. 

On 7/21/2023 at 11:00 PM, MiniMinorMk3 said:

This will probably have the tweed jackets and leather elbow pads in the MGOC spitting out their real ale

The 2024 MG Cyberster, coming to a pub lunch near you.

cyberster1.jpg

mg-cyberster-goodwood-2023-4-bd_18.jpg?i

mg-cyberster-goodwood-2023-5-bd_2.jpg?it

mg-cyberster-goodwood-2023-7-bd_2.jpg?it

At least MG is planning on selling a sports roadster for once to be true to the brand's origins.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:22 PM, MiniMinorMk3 said:

tumblr_p4no25vJxL1qc2alio1_1280.jpg

I saw one in the flesh at a car show last year and I got to sit in the driver's seat. 

KU400-R2P10.thumb.JPG.185ad6f057f0e30d3eb664847ad8b29c.JPG

From what the owner told me, these were Volkswagen-based using locally built VW parts. Ascort had a contract with Volkswagen for supplying those various VW bits, but the contract was cut short by Volkswagen Australia when the Karmann Ghia came to Australia in 1960 and the German automaker thought it would be difficult to sell the coupe alongside a locally-assembled equivalent that was cheaper to buy due to tax reasons.

IMG_9495.thumb.JPG.e20993f323c0ade0330a71c6842fd87c.JPG

IMG_9496.thumb.JPG.6ec723a717381f08206867191dffdefa.JPG

IMG_9548.thumb.JPG.11a359997a908a5910d10429f5d346a6.JPG

The dashboard has a strong VW feel to it which links back to its mechanical roots.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, calebaaront said:

The Kia Mentor. Never heard of one. They do look cool though! 

Screenshot_20230727_204426.jpg

My grans neighbours had one, and 2 Kia Prides. And a Magentis. The seemed to be Kia fanatics, which around 2000, i doubt there was many. Majority around that time were sold to old people purely on the basis the dealership was the nearest one to their house and they were cheap.

And bizarrely, i have a model diecast Kia Mentor lying about in a cupboard somewhere.

2 hours ago, Mrcento said:

And bizarrely, i have a model diecast Kia Mentor lying about in a cupboard somewhere.

Our family had a 'thing' on buying each 'new' car owner a matching diecast for a while - we still have bashed up stuff lying in the cupboard from that time - 944 and a Mondeo come to mind. Some stuff you could never find (Musso).

On 7/27/2023 at 10:55 AM, Volksy said:

Because they only sold about 10 of them. 

I think they were originally a Buick design for the states.

When I worked for Vauxhall, we had one in the showroom for about 2 years with absolutely zero interest in it. They ended up pre-reg and flogging it as a used car for about 8k less than the list price. Even then it took a while to shift. 

Never 'eard of them - so went looking - 2013 one, low miles £7K not far from here. But no leather? Bland enough to pass as anything tho'

10 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Our family had a 'thing' on buying each 'new' car owner a matching diecast for a while - we still have bashed up stuff lying in the cupboard from that time - 944 and a Mondeo come to mind. Some stuff you could never find (Musso).

I have a couple of Mk1 Mondeos in diecast, a yellow hatch (weird colour) and a saloon in the BTCC livery of the time. And a Galaxy of the same era.

I had the misfortune of spotting one of these in my rear view mirror whilst driving through Bratislava.

Lancia-Thesis-main-1024x555.jpg

I nearly had to pull over and be sick, it's absolutely gopping in the metal.

I swear the one I saw had W211 headlights though. It looked so awful that my first thought was that somebody out of their mind on home distilled Slivovica had somehow managed to mount a Lancia grille onto a W211 by cutting and patching the surrounding panels. I'm not sure if it's more or less disturbing to know that it was potentially a production car.

22 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I had the misfortune of spotting one of these in my rear view mirror whilst driving through Bratislava.

Lancia-Thesis-main-1024x555.jpg

I nearly had to pull over and be sick, it's absolutely gopping in the metal.

I swear the one I saw had W211 headlights though. It looked so awful that my first thought was that somebody out of their mind on home distilled Slivovica had somehow managed to mount a Lancia grille onto a W211 by cutting and patching the surrounding panels. I'm not sure if it's more or less disturbing to know that it was potentially a production car.

Was it perhaps a Lybra that you saw?

Almost as ugly:

Dieppe,_Seine-Maritime_-_France_(9317943008).jpg

5 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

Was it perhaps a Lybra that you saw?

Almost as ugly:

Dieppe,_Seine-Maritime_-_France_(9317943008).jpg

Possibly, however the grille was definitely the narrow but really tall one as I remember thinking how fucked the proportions were to the rest of the car. Those lights look bang on though.