The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

Back in 2013 I was driving up the M6 to Glasgow, late at night, with a mate in my Audi S8. I was/am an ignorant arsehole so I was pushing well past 130mph on an empty, unlit section. 

There was a large, fallen tree in lane 1. The top had sort of exploded so there was debris in lane. I had to swerve and emergency brake. I discussed it with my mate and we agreed that it made sense to report it to the emergency services. The operator said in fewer words 'that's not an emergency, don't call this number unless it's a real emergency'. 

Last night I was doing 60mph on the M6 in the exact same spot in the driving rain and wind, lo and behold there's a big fucking tree in lane 1 in nearly the exact same, unlit stretch. I had to swerve, as did a few other cars. Who are you supposed to call about this sort of thing? Is a tree in the motorway not an immediate hazard?

Last year I was with my dad driving back to his at 1.30am on the A14. At the last second peering into the gloom I spotted an entire car bumper in l1, and dove over to (the empty) l2.

Dad called 101 and after 20 minutes on hold we decided if someone was going to hit it at speed they already would have and hung up 🤷

Back in the dim and distant past of the bike shop days a customer on a nearly new F650 managed to ride over a sofa lying on a dual carriageway that had obviously fallen off the back of a lorry (it probably wasnt nicked, just badly secured)

He did well and stayed on until after he had traversed the aforementioned sofa (a three seater if i remember right) but came a cropper to the wobble he had on afterwards. He was OK, bike not so much. 

I remember him saying the emergency services didnt seem too put out by the sofa still being in the middle of the carriageway when they attended his accident because of it

2 hours ago, Tayne said:

In a similar vein, I called the police after a road accident (back 2007) and was told "unless its actually blocking the road, we don't want to know".

I witnessed a crash on the A9 towards Stirling back in 2013, I think.

It was raining, visibility was poor, but I saw a tractor and trailer up ahead and pulled into L2 to overtake it.

The Astra behind me did not. They didn't even slow down, not even a flicker of brake lights. They went straight into the back of the trailer, airbags went off, everything.

I pulled over when it was safe (admittedly a good 10 minutes later) and phoned it in to the police. They said they'd received no reports of such an incident and weren't interested in taking any details from me. Weird.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

On that subject - I had a call on my landline from the National Power Grid bot informing me of an unscheduled power cut in my area (which had just happened).  At 1:10am.  Is that normal?  I was up anyway but had I been a normal person with a normal sleep pattern the phone would have woken me up and I'd have been proper pissed off.

Seems to sum up modern Britain. They ring you up with a robot in the middle of the night to tell you you don't have electric - probably have some daft service level agreement about informing customers. Insane.

Never realised this was an actual life training video:

5 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It's chaos here, the weather has changed quickly from cold winter weather to warm temperatures and heavy rain. There are floods everywhere, about 20km south of me there are several cars trapped in a snow avalanche, and the stream running thru the property here are flooding over too but are fortunately not serious yet. Roofs that have not had the snow removed are now starting to collapse and a school in Arendal this has now happened. And several roads are closed.

This winter just keeps getting worse and worse.

We had the opposite over the weekend. 

19°c and sun on Friday,a good 50cm of now and -10 Saturday to -5 today..

received_1280291955973954.jpeg

received_353010010775877.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The stream through the property has overflowed and flooded parts of the rear of the property. But it could have been worse there are several people who have houses under water here now.

IMG_20240122_132948_348.thumb.jpg.cad9498a977973f29cce526d94b7f9f2.jpg

IMG_20240122_133014_928.thumb.jpg.4626145c30767f0d987224f6feacf7f4.jpg

IMG_20240122_134946_081.thumb.jpg.2eb34dd4e31cff26b76c65ece54f222b.jpg

What an absolute nightmare.

I feel relatively lucky at my listing fence and, weirdly, the 75 is now telling me it's bonnet is open, which it definitely isn't. 

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The stream through the property has overflowed and flooded parts of the rear of the property. But it could have been worse there are several people who have houses under water here now.

nyland did one of his videos in a tesla on purpose went out in minus 25 and lower

only had small issues with chargers when its that cold

5 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Seems to sum up modern Britain. They ring you up with a robot in the middle of the night to tell you you don't have electric - probably have some daft service level agreement about informing customers. Insane.

Never realised this was an actual life training video:

Do you remember the emergency text system that was tested on a Sunday afternoon a year or two back and never heard from since.

Fujitsu are being  paid a lot of money to to keep that on standby by…

Today was the first time I’ve had daylight, weather and time to do anything to this (let’s not mention swapping the winter tyres over in the snow after work),

I cleaned the glass, had a go at the leaves in the drains, replaced the missing wheel nut, got rid of the wind deflectors and put new wipers on it.

There’s still a little wind noise on the driver’s side, hopefully this improves when the rubbers go totally back to their original shape.

However the battery is goosed, as Robson thought, so a new one was ordered from Tanya this afternoon.

IMG_7505.jpeg

Was speaking to one of our instrument engineers this afternoon, he is having trouble with his Mercedes estate ( 2000 ish 280 diesel I think). He was in the works caddy van so I can’t remember. I have suggested he join this site ads the hive mind may have answers.

a few recent issues include the dash lighting up like Blackpool illuminations after a flood experienced in derby and a droning noise between 5 mph and 30mph. Doesn’t seem to be a wheel bearing but from the engine bay.

Narrowly avoided skittling a pedestrian today.  Just as I set off from traffic lights he walked straight out in front of me paying more attention to his phone than his surroundings.  The auxilliary belt chose that very moment to screech (something it's been doing intermittently since the cold snap we had recently, normal for the Princess at this time of year) and prevented a coming together.  Belt screech is something I normally can't abide but I'll tolerate it just this once.

22 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I have to say I'm starting to get a bit narked with the running costs of the Focus.. last tank to tank average was... 29.9mpg! For a 1.6 petrol manual.. it's not even quick. :(

Glad I got a randomly slow at time tdi that I should really use as a daily, but then I only do 5 miles a day..

20240119_071445.jpg

20 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Glad I got a randomly slow at time tdi that I should really use as a daily, but then I only do 5 miles a day..

20240119_071445.jpg

That’s awful. That’s 400 miles in the current car and 300 in the now @Six-cylinder Mercedes coupe which is 30 years old this year,

23 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I have to say I'm starting to get a bit narked with the running costs of the Focus.. last tank to tank average was... 29.9mpg! For a 1.6 petrol manual.. it's not even quick. :(

I always find 1.6's in pretty much everything (bar something very small an light), an unhappy medium where they drink like a bigger engine and have the power of a smaller engine, trying to overcome either just makes it even slower or even thirstier.

Though saying that, never really liked the 1.8 in the Focus either.

16 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

I always find 1.6's in pretty much everything (bar something very small an light), an unhappy medium where they drink like a bigger engine and have the power of a smaller engine, trying to overcome either just makes it even slower or even thirstier.

Though saying that, never really liked the 1.8 in the Focus either.

Yes that's generally true, I think it's widely regarded that the 1.8 offers the same performance (lack thereof) of the 1.6 with the fuel consumption and overall running costs of the 2.0

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Narrowly avoided skittling a pedestrian today.  Just as I set off from traffic lights he walked straight out in front of me paying more attention to his phone than his surroundings.  The auxilliary belt chose that very moment to screech (something it's been doing intermittently since the cold snap we had recently, normal for the Princess at this time of year) and prevented a coming together.  Belt screech is something I normally can't abide but I'll tolerate it just this once.

Screech is useful sometimes. Must adjust the belt on my van, but get plenty of looks

12 hours ago, sdkrc said:

https://gooloo.uk/collections/top-sellers/products/gp4000

Gooloo and don't look back. They're class. Project farms on YouTube seemed to rate them in his testing

Looks to be an extra few quid off at Amazon today - £89.95 - I've bought one as my previous version died during lockdown 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOOLOO-Portable-Lithium-Starter-Battery/dp/B09CZ89QQ9?th=1

Well, no thanks to the previous, previous owner of my A4 cab, I finally got a replacement locking wheel key. Since November, my offers of paying postage were obviously not enough. I know folk have lives but I also thought we were meant to help each other on here . 

It took me ages to work out how to get a match but Code P is the one:

20240104_154854.thumb.jpg.3e5a7bc8a85b420154cef4ec2ce50f6b.jpg

20240123_154058.thumb.jpg.b4cbb0971b747d3179b28e4ab5cbf814.jpg

Nevertheless it has so far been an excellent car and has saved me a lot of money on fuel over the TT.

49 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Well, no thanks to the previous, previous owner of my A4 cab, I finally got a replacement locking wheel key. Since November, my offers of paying postage were obviously not enough. I know folk have lives but I also thought we were meant to help each other on here . 

It took me ages to work out how to get a match but Code P is the one:

20240104_154854.thumb.jpg.3e5a7bc8a85b420154cef4ec2ce50f6b.jpg

20240123_154058.thumb.jpg.b4cbb0971b747d3179b28e4ab5cbf814.jpg

Nevertheless it has so far been an excellent car and has saved me a lot of money on fuel over the TT.

Are you replacing with normal bolts?

My mondeo locking key split, when the front bearings were being done. Had to have all 4 of them drilled out.