How much shite is too much shite? Assorted Chod for sale - Barkas, Imps, MGs, Rover etc

Saabnut

That looks fantastic! Friends of ours, well he took early retirement. They asked him to come back and do some work as a contractor. He said yes, but he wanted £800 per day! They said yes!!! This was several years ago, so I imagine his rate increased over the years. He has finally retired now. Great buy on the Lancia. Not often you see one still in one piece! 

I've found that old Italian cars can surprise you sometimes by being far more rust free than you might expect. Of course, I've seen eight year old ones with half the floor missing and no door bottoms. But back in the day I've also seen things like 15 year old Mirafioris which hadn't been pampered but were totally solid. Of course it could depend on steel quality. The Italians were notorious for using steel with high oxide levels to build cars, but my theory is that some batches of high quality steel were randomly used, producing vehicles that had a fair amount of rust resistance.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

I've found that old Italian cars can surprise you sometimes by being far more rust free than you might expect. Of course, I've seen eight year old ones with half the floor missing and no door bottoms. But back in the day I've also seen things like 15 year old Mirafioris which hadn't been pampered but were totally solid. Of course it could depend on steel quality. The Italians were notorious for using steel with high oxide levels to build cars, but my theory is that some batches of high quality steel were randomly used, producing vehicles that had a fair amount of rust resistance.

Supposedly the payments for selling Fiat designs in Eastern Europe were in scrap metal, which were used for making new cars!  Supposedly it was common for early Fiat Stradas to have rust showing after just a year of use, & would need welding to get through the first MOT. 

A lot of 1970s cars seemed to have problems with premature rust, even some Volvo 240s were made from poor quality steel.

A mechanic told me that Mk3 Fiestas can either rust quickly, or else be still solid after years on the road.

9 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Supposedly the payments for selling Fiat designs in Eastern Europe were in scrap metal, which were used for making new cars!  Supposedly it was common for early Fiat Stradas to have rust showing after just a year of use, & would need welding to get through the first MOT. 

A lot of 1970s cars seemed to have problems with premature rust, even some Volvo 240s were made from poor quality steel.

A mechanic told me that Mk3 Fiestas can either rust quickly, or else be still solid after years on the road.

Volvo and Saab had terrible rust problems from the mid 70s until the early 80s. I believe the Swedish government had a fit of environmental consciousness and made it mandatory for Swedish built cars to use water based paint, long before it was fit for that purpose. After a few years the car companies told the government that they had a choice between mandating water based paint or having a Swedish car industry, and they were allowed to go back to solvent based paint.

With the Strada/Ritmo they tend to rust in strange places, like halfway up the A pillar, or the inner wings around the engine mounts.

12 hours ago, artdjones said:

Ah, manufacturing variation. The one engine out of a million that has every tolerance in the optimum place and produces 30% more power than the spec, followed by one the next minute that has the worst combination of tolerances that produces 30% less. 

And a purchasing department that buys whatever is available today. 

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

Volvo and Saab had terrible rust problems from the mid 70s until the early 80s. I believe the Swedish government had a fit of environmental consciousness and made it mandatory for Swedish built cars to use water based paint, long before it was fit for that purpose. After a few years the car companies told the government that they had a choice between mandating water based paint or having a Swedish car industry, and they were allowed to go back to solvent based paint.

With the Strada/Ritmo they tend to rust in strange places, like halfway up the A pillar, or the inner wings around the engine mounts.

Mercedes had all sorts of problems using water based paints in the 1990s, with the bacteria levels in the pipes affecting the rust resistance until it was kept under control.

21 minutes ago, hairnet said:

will the shed need an upgrade now?

are you sharp suited and drinking espresso now nick? @Saabnut

Actually I am working from home finalising and sending reports. Wednesday I have a teams meeting and on the 3rd of January I go back to Norway and offshore on the 4th. Deep joy!

Top tip: If this uses the same rotor arm as the 2000 Trevi, make sure you ONLY use a genuine NOS Bosch rotor arm.  Every aftermarket one I've seen (and I think we were up to about half a dozen before I finally managed to bag a couple of actual Bosch ones) seem to be made to totally the wrong spec and will give you a random miss which you will then spend hours tearing your hair out trying to figure out.

Here was the lineup we ended up with!

Screenshot_20231224_221225.thumb.jpg.6857d86bd1cd19a4b396dd4a6c3090de.jpg

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Lancia being Italian

Yesterday was not a good day! Having set my alarm for 0715 to make the daily call to the boat, I awoke at 0820 to no power to my alarm clock. Turned out one breaker had tripped and my router just managed to come back to life in time for my important teams meeting at 0900. With that out of the way, I made myself a coffee and heard a tractor outside. It was my neighbour Dave to tell me I could not get out due to the hill on my drive washing out with the torrential rain overnight. This had left trenches in the road 3 foot wide and over 2 foot deep.

This was not good news as I was supposed to be picking up @DirtyDaily within the hour. Dave went off to fit his bucket to his tractor and I headed up in the Range Rover to have a look. Years ago I used to do off roading so picked a route and went for it. Fortunately I made it and headed to Montrose whilst Dave fixed my track. All went to plan, and it was a pleasure to meet a fellow shiter.

IMG_07391.thumb.JPG.c7f46f74527bdf4905487f42d94944f4.JPG

Having seen him off on day 2 of an epic collection journey, the other thing I had planned was collecting the Lancia and delivering it to my friend in Arbroath to see what it needed. Dave had made an excellent job of patching the drive, and whilst 4x4 only, I thought I had a chance of getting out with the trailer on my Disco. Hitched up, diff lock engaged and went for it and out it came! Went to collect the Lancia where fortunately my friend had visitors so there were plenty of people to push, which was as well as the brakes are binding.

Once at my friends in Arbroath, it was of course dark but the Lancia came off the trailer although as there was just 2 of us we could not get it onto the ramp.

IMG_07401.thumb.JPG.b6588881fe7ac7291e4599db1392db38.JPG

I bought the car cheaply* as the PO had bought it, driven it once where it FTPed so was put in the shed to be looked at later, I thought 5 or 6 years ago. 

IMG_07421.thumb.JPG.3687556c75d19efd4e941669fd26c9a9.JPG

Aaah. That would be 10 years ago then. The front seat had the ignition ECU on it and there are a few hoses etc disconnected where the looking at had started but that was it.

IMG_07411.thumb.JPG.d3c807768fd844dd81a041940bfded33.JPG

At this point we decided to stick a battery on it and wind it on to the ramp on the starter. Battery on and........ clunk! Yep, the engine has seized with standing. I am sure it is just a ring or two so today I am making up my favourite anti seize compound for stuck engines, 50% kerrosene (or in my case Jet A1 8) ) and 50% ATF. Plugs will be removed and bores filled and left for a few days. 

More as it happens...

All went to plan, and it was a pleasure to meet a fellow shiter.

Pleasure to meet you too. Real stand up gent with a fantastic collection of fine cars. I suspect I will have to buy something off you again at some point to have another chat with you and give the range rover a real exercise!

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Yesterday was not a good day! Having set my alarm for 0715 to make the daily call to the boat, I awoke at 0820 to no power to my alarm clock. Turned out one breaker had tripped and my router just managed to come back to life in time for my important teams meeting at 0900. With that out of the way, I made myself a coffee and heard a tractor outside. It was my neighbour Dave to tell me I could not get out due to the hill on my drive washing out with the torrential rain overnight. This had left trenches in the road 3 foot wide and over 2 foot deep.

This was not good news as I was supposed to be picking up @DirtyDaily within the hour. Dave went off to fit his bucket to his tractor and I headed up in the Range Rover to have a look. Years ago I used to do off roading so picked a route and went for it. Fortunately I made it and headed to Montrose whilst Dave fixed my track. All went to plan, and it was a pleasure to meet a fellow shiter.

Having seen him off on day 2 of an epic collection journey, the other thing I had planned was collecting the Lancia and delivering it to my friend in Arbroath to see what it needed. Dave had made an excellent job of patching the drive, and whilst 4x4 only, I thought I had a chance of getting out with the trailer on my Disco. Hitched up, diff lock engaged and went for it and out it came! Went to collect the Lancia where fortunately my friend had visitors so there were plenty of people to push, which was as well as the brakes are binding.

Once at my friends in Arbroath, it was of course dark but the Lancia came off the trailer although as there was just 2 of us we could not get it onto the ramp.

IMG_07401.thumb.JPG.b6588881fe7ac7291e4599db1392db38.JPG

I bought the car cheaply* as the PO had bought it, driven it once where it FTPed so was put in the shed to be looked at later, I thought 5 or 6 years ago. 

IMG_07421.thumb.JPG.3687556c75d19efd4e941669fd26c9a9.JPG

Aaah. That would be 10 years ago then. The front seat had the ignition ECU on it and there are a few hoses etc disconnected where the looking at had started but that was it.

IMG_07411.thumb.JPG.d3c807768fd844dd81a041940bfded33.JPG

At this point we decided to stick a battery on it and wind it on to the ramp on the starter. Battery on and........ clunk! Yep, the engine has seized with standing. I am sure it is just a ring or two so today I am making up my favourite anti seize compound for stuck engines, 50% kerrosene (or in my case Jet A1 8) ) and 50% ATF. Plugs will be removed and bores filled and left for a few days. 

More as it happens...

Having watched enough will it run videos unseizing it shouldn't be too hard. However it boggles my mind that it seized up in the first place considering it's been in the dry, and 10 years isn't that long.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Lancia getting Beta

After a morning spent booking taxi/flight/hotel I headed over back to the Lancia. My friend had the plugs already out and had discovered lots of mouse aftermath. The HT leads are dead, several other wires have been chewed and many old nests were hoovered out of the bulkhead area. First job was to mix up the magic brew and fill the bores, next job was a brew and talk shite for a while. After about 40 mins a breaker bar and large socket was applied to the crank, and with very little effort, rotation was achieved.

One question that has arisen, is what are these things next to the plug holes? Thin wire would suggest a sensor of some sort, but one on each cylinder?

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.80edb6aaace329628b6d9e528aff71ea.JPG

IMG_0744.thumb.JPG.bbc6b0c88253e0b4b7ed4153876d4124.JPG

Next job was to push it outside to get rid of 12 years of dust

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.8d46e0668e7f2e6030c7a93667a4d1bb.JPG

IMG_0747.thumb.JPG.582d541be67fe264ae2be0bd6e39f124.JPG

IMG_0748.thumb.JPG.cd1be1ed28e6c986ed3b2b58260cf864.JPG

IMG_0749.thumb.JPG.788baf53a10536a4d40b20ad118db2cc.JPG

To quote from one of the best car film opening sequence ever "Pretty Car" 8) There are only three imperfections in the paint that I have found, a bubble underneath one of the D post plastic trims, a small bubble on the sunroof and a rusty stone chip on the leading edge of the bonnet. I will be fetting all three fixed.

Back onto the ramp it went

IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.168c842bec9df0585c652f74912da40c.JPG

IMG_0751.thumb.JPG.c75df82f9ecb8e70aa75196f5168c8bd.JPG

And the moment of truth. What is the underside actually like, remembering this has been stored in conditions that allowed the engine to sieze and more worring, it is a Lancia!

IMG_0752.thumb.JPG.a098bab222d5c4158c90ea27271ef665.JPG

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.d5e26c43dcaf7c559089f29d5247f305.JPG

IMG_0754.thumb.JPG.a589e2f6197bd158d7fe562af9cdbcaa.JPG

IMG_0755.thumb.JPG.fe023cae7eca6016a62cf60672041a10.JPG

Wow! Unbelievably good! No rot what so ever, and just minor surface rust on components like anti roll bar etc. A wire brush,  vactan and gallons of lanoguard should see it right. At this point I had to leave, and left my friend looking at the Marrelli ignition ECU (at least I think that is what he said it was!)

That looks epic! Can't believe it's that rot free, of it turned over so easily as well are we sure this isn't just a locked up starter?
~My stab in the dark on the weird things, not some early injector thing is it? If it's a carbed system then obviously not but I know some manufacturers had some interesting versions during the take over of injection systems.~

Scratch my stab, didn't inspect the picture enough, thought that was brass pipes going to it like it was carrying a fluid!