How much shite is too much shite? Chod Updates - How Rusty is that ADO16?

Saabnut

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

Absolutely love this.

I think the ship that I may have been able to catch sailed about 15 years ago though.

I had one back in the mid seventies which I part-exed for a mini-mustang shaped Celica. Two cars I wish I still had.

The Rover was handy when we needed to lift the engine out of a Citroen ID Safari - long length of rope tied to top of engine, slung over a beam in the barn and then tied to front bumper of Rover. Reversed Rover away whilst a mate guided engine to ground being showered with bits of concrete from the beam. Those were the days etc...

12 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Yesterday the oil leak was sorted on the Disco by tightening the hose from the filter housing to the oil cooler which had come loose. Roughly a gallon was added, so that will do istead of an oil change! :-)  It then chucked it down with rain for the rest of the day.

This morning started off dry with a bit of sun. I have been home a week, 4 days of which I have been on the road and 3 fettling cars. I am away back offshore on Tuesday so decided I was having a day off today. Fired up the recently returned P5b and headed to the Fennel V8 breakfast meet in Inverurie, via the petrol station and jet wash as the windscreen was covered in Disco engine oil! I was a bit late getting there but still plenty of interest, although rubbish photos as usual

A very rare AC 428

IMG_0441.thumb.JPG.b75d0d75d1f69f26ca9febf6c3318dba.JPG

Dodge Charger

IMG_0442.thumb.JPG.a5005352e9db53b6116173d6180197ab.JPG

A modern Mustang

IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.ed5e8c1d6d32f2df152785750b894c4c.JPG

An AC Cobra Fibre Street Racer

IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.72d978dd76c98b2cdedf00d55d57a839.JPG

A 1962 Genuine AC Cobra 260

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.67880ef7e95e21616a7824a2a829c398.JPG

The two Cobras are owned by father and son, and in the barn at home they also have a '65 Cobra hard top and the 1958 Lemans race Cobra! All bought many years ago when they had very little value.

This green thing (not sure what it is but modern)

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.c7e7283106f48a4f5406e080a4671c66.JPG

After that I took the scenic way home

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.894f8cb8dfa4aca7d517ad6aa4f806f8.JPG

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.3f1593a5497d7853c20566d8ffae87fd.JPG

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.279e1f0c41805043abddfbc6b7976242.JPG

which meant by the time I got home I had covered over 120 miles. The car ran great, and makes me reluctant to sell it, but in truth it just does not get used much as the Bentley does the same thing. No rush, but it will have to be sold sooner rather than later.

Once home, I had a load of visitors (ANY visitors here is unusual) so the rest of the day was spent drinking tea in the sun and talking shite! Great day, must try doing this more often.

Ah, I wondered if the V8 breakfast was still on the go.

I was toying with the idea of trying to get members from the NE to meet up semi regularly and that seems like a good place to go.

I'll be back in the area in a month. Sacking off the central belt, at least for a while!

12 hours ago, Tickman said:

Absolutely love this.

I think the ship that I may have been able to catch sailed about 15 years ago though.

I would not reckon that maybe 

As is shown here these get to a state where  they require SERIOUS investment - partly predicted by the design of the body tub and their ability to 'soldier on' and hide rust problems.

So it's likely some 'fair weather' owners will bail at that point and cars will trickle back to the market cheaper.

It's a fashion thing too - a thirsty V8 may not be en vogue to the next generation when the Stans and Freds who run them currently give up driving. 

Quite a lot of cars have gone through this cycle in my lifetime - PA Crestas and Mk2 Zodiacs spring to mind - and to a certain point M2 Jaaags - which RUST.

All the bodys for these were by Pressed Steel Fisher I think - none of these were built in house. Quality was not the best at PSF sometimes.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Road Trip to an Auction. WCPGW?

As I get older I have decided to stop doing silly things, stop buying shite and be sensible.

Yeah, right! :-) 

So I got home a week ago and have spent most of that cutting grass and doing a bit of maintenance around the house as jobs tend to build up when you are only home one week in 4 as has been the case since March. This weekend a friend came over and welded the suspension strut on the Saab and yesterday it passed its MOT. This morning I fitted a new battery to the Volvo 240 GLT Estate and for the first time in 2 years it started and took it for a drive up the track and back in preparation for some serious welding work.

I have a funeral to attend in a couple of weeks time which is not very local (about 20 miles from Lands End!) so that has to be factored in. I was also aware of an auction coming up next week with a few vehicles (non road going ones) for sale with ridiculously low estimates so I have decided to mosey on down and have a look and see if the estimates hold true. According to the AA route planner, the road trip including going to Cornwall is just over 1800 miles, going direct to each destination, so realistically over 2000 miles but I have 10 days to do it.

Sod it, why not! Leaving home tomorrow about 9am so need to check fluids on the Saab, pack the boot and see if I can find out why the radio has stopped working.

Driving from the North East of Scotland to a two day auction in France to buy a 58 year old tractor that has not been started for 25 years and the auctioneers full descrition is "wreck" makes perfect sense, no? Of course, it may be a "come and buy me" estimate, but at least I will get to sit under my tree drinking red so it will be a win whatever. Watch this space!

On 8/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, AnthonyG said:

The yellow ‘Dodge’ Charger is an Australian Chrysler Valiant Charger, circa 1971/2. Maybe the owner put Dodge badges on it - although an Aussie would be appalled at such trickery, they were very popular down under. 

Green modern thing is an Aldi, I think it is an Aventador. 

The Rover P5 is lovely, nice to see a saloon as well. 

FIFY 😁

10 hours ago, Saabnut said:

As I get older I have decided to stop doing silly things, stop buying shite and be sensible.

Yeah, right! :-) 

So I got home a week ago and have spent most of that cutting grass and doing a bit of maintenance around the house as jobs tend to build up when you are only home one week in 4 as has been the case since March. This weekend a friend came over and welded the suspension strut on the Saab and yesterday it passed its MOT. This morning I fitted a new battery to the Volvo 240 GLT Estate and for the first time in 2 years it started and took it for a drive up the track and back in preparation for some serious welding work.

I have a funeral to attend in a couple of weeks time which is not very local (about 20 miles from Lands End!) so that has to be factored in. I was also aware of an auction coming up next week with a few vehicles (non road going ones) for sale with ridiculously low estimates so I have decided to mosey on down and have a look and see if the estimates hold true. According to the AA route planner, the road trip including going to Cornwall is just over 1800 miles, going direct to each destination, so realistically over 2000 miles but I have 10 days to do it.

Sod it, why not! Leaving home tomorrow about 9am so need to check fluids on the Saab, pack the boot and see if I can find out why the radio has stopped working.

Driving from the North East of Scotland to a two day auction in France to buy a 58 year old tractor that has not been started for 25 years and the auctioneers full descrition is "wreck" makes perfect sense, no? Of course, it may be a "come and buy me" estimate, but at least I will get to sit under my tree drinking red so it will be a win whatever. Watch this space!

Makes good sense, France is much closer to Land's End than cold country.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the regular updates failed miserably! The local phone mast went down after a storm so no net for a week!

The auction was a waste of time with everything fetching a massive premium because of the chateau factor, most 10x or 20x the estimate. Madness. Some scruffy IKEA chairs, still available new at 59euro each fetched 70 euro each. I bought nowt! The week was not a total loss though as I got the grass cut, drank too much wine and beer and had some excellent meals out.

I had a funeral to attend on Monday so had to cut the trip short, and as the funeral  was in Cambourne, Cornwall (23 miles from Lands End) I decided to take a different route and took the Roscoff to Plymouth ferry. Good if expensive. Sadly on the way the back box got steadily noisier until it fell off and went all Bonnie Tyler

In Plymouth I stayed with some very good friends who I had not seen in too long. The week before I arrived my friend Jim won a raffle and this was delivered to him

IMG_05311.thumb.JPG.29c122a590067c99c5af1f3aa2d78f7f.JPG

IMG_05321.thumb.JPG.1ef3dbb5f33055e525415c6882f87b4b.JPG

Whilst admiring this, his neighbour was out polishing the tidiest K11 I have seen in a long time, 48k miles, 998cc

IMG_05331.thumb.JPG.22bdda1cb96b176c9a0f18f4df64534d.JPG

On the Monday I attended the funeral and left afterwards for home. Left Cambourne at 1330 and arrived home at 2345 655 miles later at an average of 36mpg. Who needs a back box? :-) 

Tuesday was a day catching up on work, Wednesday was a day at the hospital for yet more tests and today I visited the excellent @GingerNuttz of this parish to drop off something to keep him out of mischief. I was worried it was going to be beyond hope and really only took it as I had laid out for new inner and outer sills, but he reassures me and is going to get on with it.

IMG_05401.thumb.JPG.d4aab5824d9379ed751f24035733d47f.JPG

IMG_05411.thumb.JPG.b67a49058469488bb5045fec6492e1cc.JPG

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Home and Away (and Home again)

Onward! 

IMG_20230929_103938.thumb.jpg.b1ff20129578690e5ed59ce6637d1628.jpg

IMG_20230929_103933.thumb.jpg.fd7cd0c6cffd9103b36a7a6828817edf.jpg

IMG_20230929_124512.thumb.jpg.db592ae37c2b4fdafae91a7645cc3bb5.jpg

Inner is fully welded. Was thinking the car could do with a floor pan edge on passenger side, lifted the carpet and the welding gods had placed a brand new floor pan with a single tack weld over the old floor. 

IMG_20230929_104020.thumb.jpg.78aade182a2b4ae928614ea4d471c3a9.jpg

Would have kept going but I had a wee accident 🤣

IMG_20230929_105143.thumb.jpg.60a812cd6bed428b8820abbc36d3f6f0.jpg

Fixed it right enough with some superglue and masking tape. 

Outer will be on tomorrow and the drivers will be cut off before leaving. 

15 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Bonus spare floor and rapid progress! Cheers!

This side should be complete by tomorrow night with just the wee bit on the rear arch to do.

It needs a whole outrigger doing on this side but it's just a bit of box.

Other side only needs 2 bits of inner sill about 100x30mm so I'll just make them up and it'll give you another inner sill for a future car, no point in wasting a good pressing for 2 stupid little bits.

It's no where near as bad as it looked and this is the worst side.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Bentley Bimble

Had most of the day to myself yesterday so decided to take the Bentley for a run to the local (30+ miles away) breakfast meet in Inverurie. Lovely mild day, but forgot it was the 1st October so most local stuff has been put away for the winter. Only 4 other cars there but a nice day out.

The two genuine Cobras that are regular attenders

IMG_05441.thumb.JPG.ffaebda42eb454eb86ca33ce0f1ff91b.JPG

A 355

IMG_05451.thumb.JPG.f0b77de80f2e1b830ee7acbe7fdf5e8d.JPG

IMG_05461.thumb.JPG.632c993e5bc2720b56d3df78cabdb880.JPG

and a Merc of some sort

IMG_05431.thumb.JPG.3550b3c36414534e24e4700d8d81f869.JPG

A nice run out on what will probably be the last day of summer