The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Hey DW, do you want a few big hooks and even a little pulley set thing (unused, not very old) for hoisting ladders/bikes etc up to the rafters? I’m having a garage clear out too and have some such odds’n’sods spare. Could do you a little care package if you like.

Let me know if interested.

Hey DW, do you want a few big hooks and even a little pulley set thing (unused, not very old) for hoisting ladders/bikes etc up to the rafters? I’m having a garage clear out too and have some such odds’n’sods spare. Could do you a little care package if you like.

Let me know if interested.

Thanks. Haven't got access  to rafters, so no need. Hooks might be useful though. Thanks.

^ What did the dw approved double digit plate come off? Trying to picture what from the fleet it was.

The red 2CV just visible in a photo - my first. Bought it when I was 18. Six months later, couldn't afford the welding it needed, so paid £750 (man maths!) to have the chassis plonked under the blue one. Engine went into my first Dyane.

Sold the ever-trusty and seemingly unkillable 'Purple Throbber', my E320 CDI estate.

I've had this old bus for three years, it's been across Europe and back, it's carried bands to many gigs, towed stuff that weighs more than it and generally been probably the most faithful car I've ever owned. Unfortunately, I was skint for a year or so of running it so the few slightly worn suspension bushes it had are now many worn suspension bushes.

So it has been sold to the local scrap man, who's going to use it himself until the MOT runs out in August.

At least I got to keep the monoblock wheels. He's happy with the original 16s on it.

Still. A sad day. I've never kept a car taxed and tested for three years before.

Between Christmas and New Year I managed to strip the C3 Pluriel and transplant the Powertrain into the eldest’s 207. I did fit the clutch and flywheel from the shagged engine, which was fitted less than 3k miles ago.

Today I had a spare half hour so stripped the gearbox to identify the source of noise. Debris and chipped teeth on the magnet but the gear sets were fine. The diff bearings were slightly noisy but no notchiness evident, however with the crown wheel out the root cause was clear. The sun and planet gears within the differential were mashed, with excessive play on the cross pin.

Decision to buy the C3 and transplant the engine and ‘box vindicated I reckon. The 207 drives so much better, and is quieter with better fuel economy. Have some photos of the damage;

post-19581-0-39175300-1516046645_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I changed the oil in the omega and the Bini using GM branded fully synthetic.

Fucking Bini.

Who designed such a stupid arrangement for an oil filter. Could I get it to go back on?

Obviously I did after breaking my fucking back leaning over for 30 mins.

In the past month I've had some relative successes, both Arodeck's have passed MOTs as has the bargain daily W203 Merc (now on 240k).

The Merc passed straightaway, but advised on exhaust leak and brake lines. These were replaced last weekend along with its second service in my ownership.

Red Aerodeck had a new exhaust last year and needed some new brake bits for the MOT

Blue Aerodeck needed welding on both sills, and trivial stuff I can't remember.

Next in the queue for attention is the Volvo 850 or Umm.

What the fuck is going on with the grumpy and grin threads?

Obviously deemed too much none motoring related in them so off they went........ new ones for car related...... it looks like.

A warning or post inadvance 24hrs? would've made it a bit less 'disruptive' - but not too hard to grasp.

A decision was made years ago to keep the grin & grumpy threads on the main board - presumably because certain contributors with a weak constitution didn't want to sully themselves by going into the off-topic area.

This was a strange decision, but one we've all got used to.

I don't think anyone was expecting the threads to be duplicated for motoring / non-motoring in both boards though. It makes sod-all sense to me.

Another Citroen GSA has floated into my peripheral at tempting money. But that's only any good if I sell something first, and the main issue there is that I don't want to sell anything. DILEMMA. I'm already two cars over the four car limit, and a looming tax bill means I can't really just go for it.

Tax bill paid, which has helped focus my mind. I shall be sensible.

Came up North last night as it's MOT time and I need to do a couple of bits of non testable welding for appearances sake and a few bits and bats. Not bad weather till junction 28 on the M1 then snow. Woke up feeling like it was going to be a British version of ice road truckers but there's only 1/2" or so.

Suns out now so I've swept my working area and I'm waiting for it to dry out.

I'm sick of January MOTs I'm going to test it again in September I think to avoid this crap.

Had the CB on all the way up seems much more chat up above maybe J15 on the M1. Thought I would mention that as someone asked if they were still used much recently

Looking like I may be able to rent a garage and not cost too much either. Going to have a quick view outside tonight and if it generally looks ok, I'll get the keys to have another look inside. I guess as long as its dry and reasonably secure it'll be a go'er. Its only a 10-15 minute walk from home too, so very practical and the garages are part of a retirement flat building - so I guess its hopefully less likely for trouble makers/kids wanting to have a bit of "fun" at my expense with my car + stuff.

Told Mrs SiC and her response was:

Oh thats handy! Give me my ring and you can have a car! X

Rolls eyes

Admittedly a ring is a bit cheaper (well what she wants is) than another car. :P