A car that no one here has owned or driven?

sdkrc

There has, I mentioned it in context for the Perodua Kembara.  Never driven an actual Terios (or the closely-related Toyota Vitz) but it could still happen, there are plenty of all three models in Cyprus.

19 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

There has, I mentioned it in context for the Perodua Kembara.  Never driven an actual Terios (or the closely-related Toyota Vitz) but it could still happen, there are plenty of all three models in Cyprus.

Ah, I didn't actually realize there was a Perodua or indeed Toyota version of a Daihatsu Terios! 

What I meant by "on here" was the wider forum, on reflection that was ambiguous on my part, sorry! 

Ok, I'm clutching at straws now. 

If one of you weirdos tells me you've DRIVEN let alone owned a Daewoo Korando then.. I think there's no hope for any vehicle winning this thread 🤣

image.png.8842600753b436874d5c077ab57beab4.png

Ssangyong version doesn't count! Because Daewoo fiddled with enough things to make it different [read again; me clutching at straws]

According to how many left, it seems like it proved to be a very* desirable vehicle when new, apparently costing more than a Cherokee (!) meaning a whopping 449 examples existed at its peak, with 13 taxed examples remaining today.. 

Anyone ever driven a Tata Safari?

spacer.png

There were bizarrely about 3 of them still trundling around the angus countryside up to about a year ago, haven't seen any of them since.

They always looked like one of those identikit cars used for things like car insurance ads. Like a Mk1 Discovery getting described over the phone whilst the guy writing the notes down looked at photos of a Frontera, a Vitara and a Rav4.

7 hours ago, Fennec said:

has anyone owned a Daihatsu Applause?

I have a vague recollection that Hirst formerly of this parish may have had one in stock, amongst all the other wonderful old yad he accumulated. Or was it a Charmant? Or both? 

7 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Anyone ever driven a Tata Safari?

spacer.png

There were bizarrely about 3 of them still trundling around the angus countryside up to about a year ago, haven't seen any of them since.

They always looked like one of those identikit cars used for things like car insurance ads. Like a Mk1 Discovery getting described over the phone whilst the guy writing the notes down looked at photos of a Frontera, a Vitara and a Rav4.

Very briefly. Surprise, surprise it was the yard hack at a farm on the N Yorks moors, and 'agricultural' would be a generous description of it. Supposedly it had assisted in pulling artics out of the ditches on the very, very narrow approach lanes, so the chassis was more parallelogram than ladder. Didn't seem to make much difference to directional accuracy!

9 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ok, I'm clutching at straws now. 

If one of you weirdos tells me you've DRIVEN let alone owned a Daewoo Korando then.. I think there's no hope for any vehicle winning this thread 🤣

image.png.8842600753b436874d5c077ab57beab4.png

Ssangyong version doesn't count! Because Daewoo fiddled with enough things to make it different [read again; me clutching at straws]

According to how many left, it seems like it proved to be a very* desirable vehicle when new, apparently costing more than a Cherokee (!) meaning a whopping 449 examples existed at its peak, with 13 taxed examples remaining today.. 

:-( driven a 2.3 petrol SingSong Korando (1999 model) so that straw is still in your clutch.
How about the Pug 1007 ? Kind of James Bond + a thousand?

image.png.dbf8b6849d7d27ce6a19069ca45833ef.png

7 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Never mind the Alfa Arna, what about the Cherry Europe?

Surely you've been here long enough to remember Ratdat has one of those (possibly two as he might still have the spares car)? Dollywobbler has driven it on video.

TBH I think the presence of a professional* youtube road tester as a member eliminates a lot of obscure stuff that he has driven for his videos but no one else has - Daihatsu Fellow Max for instance.

19 minutes ago, martc said:

Talking of which - anyone experienced an Asia Rocsta?

(I'll also take this opportunity to remind our viewers that Korando is a contraction of Korea Can Do.

I’ve been a passenger in an Asia  Rockstar, it was very much as awful as you’d imagine, sort of a quieter S1 Land Rover. Very cramped and bouncy. The owner, a crazy Italian wannabe Gangster named Tony replaced it with a Dodge Nitro , another contender for this thread. 

5 hours ago, meggersdog said:

@Captain Slow  brought a white Diahatsu Applause into my workshop a few years ago. Not sure if it was owned by him or @alcyonecorporation but it made an appearance at FOTU that year.

It will have come to you before CS gave it to me. 
It was the ex-Chompy Snake car with Honda Civic alloys and an obnoxious cunt trumpet exhaust. 

It needed too much work to see another test, so I sold it to a banger racer. 
I wanted £200 but nobody wanted to save it. It got raced in 2018-9 ish in March. 
There is an early pre-facelift Applause near my folks' in Cheshire, a high-spec one with BBS snowflake style alloys, but I haven't seen it for some time. 

On 5/1/2023 at 9:13 PM, Split_Pin said:

A Renault 12?

Alfa Romeo Gulietta from the early 1980s

Fiat 132

On 5/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, Mrs6C said:

I had a 1.8 as a daily driver for a few years and have a 2.0 now.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:23 AM, Six-cylinder said:

As Mrs6C said when I came out of company cars I needed a stop gap and looked at a few cars including a Giulietta 1.8 but bought a Saab 900i. Mrs6C said but I like Giulietta so I pointed out I thought the Saab would be more reliable. No she said the Giulietta for me, please go and buy it as well as the Saab. Unfortunately it was damaged by a large tree that fell down when it was parked.

Then a further opportunity to own a Giulietta this time a 2.0 came up and I said no because it was non running and Mrs6C bought it anyway! Strangely I do like Giuliettas and for no real reason it has not reached the top of the list yet for return to the road.

@Split_Pinpack your tool kit, head south and drive a Giulietta.

Alfa Giulietta 1.8 01.jpg broad v3.jpg

IMG_20191207_142236 broad.jpg

I had a 2.0 Giulietta in 1985. TPB 698X was metallic blue with dull grey lower half. It has the same wheels as the red car above. No power steering, keep fit windows, no central locking but it did have a fold back sunroof. It had 57,000 miles on the clock and cost £2,450. I brought because I had a mate who had a 1750 Berlina which had impressed me. After a week of ownership it lost 2nd gear and that cost a few hundred to get sorted. It was a great car to drive compared to the 1600E I had had before it. It did about 25 to the gallon as the Dellortos would suck the fuel away quite quickly. The cam chain would rattle, but after loosening the tensioner bolt on the front of the engine it would stay quiet for a month or so. I pulled a CV joint to bits going over a sleeping policeman once. The rear exhaust box fell off, but it improved the noise, with a bit of a crackle on the over run, so I ran it like that for a month or so. 

After about a year of ownership I was on my way home approaching a junction. The two cars in front of me signalled to turn left so I went to go passed them, unfortunately a Citroen Visa decided to attempt to go across the junction in front of the turning cars and I ploughed into the front wing of the Visa, the bumper pushing the headlamp of my Giulietta into the wing. The bonnet was also a bit bent and there were some creases on the inner wing. Luckily the car still drove, so after exchanging details I went home thinking it might be a write-off as Alfa part were not cheap. After being assessed it was not written-off, which meant that it would be repaired including the inner wing being straightened. The car never felt the same after that so I traded it in for a new Mini Ritz because Dutton Forshaw offered me £1400 on a trade-in.

I did see the car again a few years later in Lewisham, but checking the DVLA it was last taxed in 1991.

I nearly had another, but after a test drive showed that the synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and 4th was weak I passed on it. For about 10 years after the Giulietta, I lusted after a 75, especially a 3.0 Veloce, but I never did get one. The only other Alfa I had was a 'Sud Sprint.

On the subject of Fiat 132s, I had a mate a college who had a 1977 1800. That was a quick thing.

And now for the R12, or something that had the same engine. No one has mentioned it yet, the Volvo 66 GL Estate, complete with rubber band transmission. My mother had a 1976 in 1981. Driving it was a bit like driving a car with a slipping clutch. You'd put your foot down, the engine would go to about 3,500 rpm, and then it would accelerate, but the engine would stay at 3,500 rpm. It wasn't a bad car by 1980's standards, it would do about 85mph, had slightly soggy suspension, but plenty of room for chucking the garden waste into and going to the tip. I've not seen one of those for years.