The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

4 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

This one's probably fairly easy and can be done with a few seconds of googling but it had me stumped

IMG-20231008-WA0001.jpg

Corolla someplace in Asia circa 1985/6 - I was in Brunei at that point and these were everywhere - Sultan had just got independence from Malaysia and Toyota/Nissan were straight in there. Given that most other stuff was rusting BL stock then they cleaned up.
Corollas there had no badging other than on the boot. No heater either - just a fan and, if you was posh, air con  - so the 'heat' dial had no red segment.

3 hours ago, Adrian_pt said:

UK Embassy in Bucharest, 1958. All familiar stuff apart from the vans, which look like Austins - are they? 

That's interesting. They do look Austin-based, but clearly not the usual Papworth woodies. I'd guess locally-bodied in Romania, but I can't find anything online about Romanian Austin estate cars, funnily enough.

Screenshot2023-10-09at18_12_37.thumb.png.6ffdb607d40363f998a32dab0e871c97.png

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Back end looks fairly Sunbeam esque to me, but the front doesnt look right for that

I thought exactly that too! But it doesn't have the same tail fins either. Quite odd.

Also the headlamps are slightly recessed from the very front. Its a bit like a Renault Floride but it doesn't have anything to show its rear engined, plus looked a bit smaller than that. 

20231030_201233.thumb.jpg.5de640454f0614be1dc3fc9a9d5c9a50.jpg

• 2 weeks later...