What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

For a very long time now I've struggled to have any sort of sleeping pattern, the time I'd sleep would drift around the day somewhat randomly, and sometimes I'd miss a night of sleep altogether.

But for the past week I've successfully been in bed and asleep by around 9pm (including one day where I lay down to charge my phone at 6pm, fell asleep and woke up at 4am) and been awake and out of bed between 5 and 7am.

Doesn't sound like much, but it's something I've struggled with for a long time, even when I was working.

I'm still largely doing bugger all, but I feel much better, I feel like I'll actually be able to achieve something with my time now.

It also shows that coffee wasn't as much of the problem as I'd assumed; I drank shitloads yesterday right up to 7pm and I was asleep by 9 and woke up at 6.

All of this has been without a single alarm!

My mum has been in Australia for a few weeks. She's just been round to show me holiday photos (most of which I'd seen on Facebook already, but that's ok) and drop off the things she bought me there.

We have a tshirt that says Perth on it, a beer coozie the same, koala socks, and the best part:

20231022_150759.thumb.jpg.02d0e49a27883a597a1e080aba544e55.jpg

Like a penguin but better! The 0.5 star health rating = delicious. 

4 hours ago, reb said:

My mum has been in Australia for a few weeks. She's just been round to show me holiday photos (most of which I'd seen on Facebook already, but that's ok) and drop off the things she bought me there.

We have a tshirt that says Perth on it, a beer coozie the same, koala socks, and the best part:

mmmm there the ones you can bite the ends off and drink your tea throw. well jealous.

15 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

mmmm there the ones you can bite the ends off and drink your tea throw. well jealous.

Danni Minogue popularised that.  Tesco used to have TimTams, maybe still do.  I bought some way back after seeing the Danni Demo.  Nowt special.

Went down to the tame MOT station at last knockings today to pick up a car, and what should be sat on the ramp waiting to be tested first thing in the morning was a really clean looking Rover 75 :)

Made my day, hardly see the things in for repair these days. I recognised the reg as it's a local car which I'd actually done some work on a few years ago. Nice to see it's still around serving someone faithfully. Fingers crossed given how clean it still looked it shouldn't give much bother MOT wise!

15 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Went down to the tame MOT station at last knockings today to pick up a car, and what should be sat on the ramp waiting to be tested first thing in the morning was a really clean looking Rover 75 :)

Made my day, hardly see the things in for repair these days. I recognised the reg as it's a local car which I'd actually done some work on a few years ago. Nice to see it's still around serving someone faithfully. Fingers crossed given how clean it still looked it shouldn't give much bother MOT wise!

Oh, it's turned into a sad. 

Popped back down this morning with another car and it was in the car park. It looked even cleaner than I thought

I asked the tester how it did... 

"Write off" 

Sounds like it needs suspension arms all around 😕

I've said to him colour me interested at scrap money if that's how it goes... 

If the owner doesn't want to get it fixed and doesn't want silly money for it, I'll save it. Just because 😅

On 22/10/2023 at 15:19, reb said:

These are amazing. I have family and friends who regularly return to these shores. We always ask for these.
You can actually buy them in Asda in the foreign food aisle.

50 minutes ago, reb said:

You had my hopes up there thinking I might be able to get them with my weekly delivery, no such luck. I think the foreign food section must be done outside of the online shop side of things.

Depends on your level of desperation, but Amazon sell them....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Timtam&ref=nb_sb_noss

War has broken out between my neighbour and myself! All the major roads around here have been closed since the storm (although one - the A90 - has patially opened today) so all the shops are empty of food. Yesterday, on the way back home, I stopped to talk to my neighbour Dave and told him about the situation. He said he was lucky, his daughter had brought his stocks in at the weekend, so he was fine except for bread. I told him that as I was away until the storm hit, stocks were low but I had the freezer to fall back on. Dave immediately nipped into his house and came back with a pile of lamb chops from one of his animals (the rest was about to go in his freezer before you say anything :-) ).

Last night, after my dinner of lamb chops I made some bread and some cheese scones, so this morning I went to see Dave and gave him a loaf and some scones. 

Dave has just been down and dropped some veg in to me as he had been lifting some for himself

IMG_05651.thumb.JPG.d8c68e918c6e153eda48340bafaed8b5.JPG

Two types of tatties, beetroot, carrots and parsnips. Dave is currently winning the war, not sure what else I can do for him to level the score!

When I read of people on here having trouble with their neighbours, I realise how lucky I am to have neighbours like I do!

4 hours ago, Saabnut said:

When I read of people on here having trouble with their neighbours, I realise how lucky I am to have neighbours like I do!

To be fair you do live in quite a remote spot - it might be a different story if said neighbours were close enough to mount air conditioning units on your wall.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

To be fair you do live in quite a remote spot - it might be a different story if said neighbours were close enough to mount air conditioning units on your wall.

The only trouble I have with a neighbour is his fascination in destroying the hedge between us , which I planted just before they moved in about 30 years ago.

Considering we live on a hill side and my house over looks his, I can’t understand his motives as it gives him privacy by stopping me looking directly into his house.