Warren Works... An MG6. In for test. It fails. NOW PISTONHEADS APPROVED CAR!

warren t claim

49 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I expect a picture of an Invacar

well since ya brought it up, when you mentioned plating a Tata Nano

I was thinking you could do one better then that, since you said if a vehicle has a separate chassis in Liverpool it has no age limit right? 

and you know what has a separate chassis and is literally by design wheelchair accessible? 

Actual picture of @warren t claim in 2026 picking up a punter in his triple shifted Invacar, colourised*

154887073_3644848122294862_4142647224464367691_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

well since ya brought it up, when you mentioned plating a Tata Nano

I was thinking you could do one better then that, since you said if a vehicle has a separate chassis in Liverpool it has no age limit right? 

and you know what has a separate chassis and is literally by design wheelchair accessible? 

Actual picture of @warren t claim in 2026 picking up a punter in his triple shifted Invacar, colourised*

154887073_3644848122294862_4142647224464367691_o.jpg

Funny looking sex shop it's outside though

On 02/01/2024 at 10:42, Lacquer Peel said:

There might be some confusion as MG Rover did trial fit Fiat JTD engines to Rover 75 prototypes, maybe a stopgap as they worked on their own common rail G series which ended up in India after the collapse. 

This diesel is definitely a Chinese effort and seems to have been available for just a few years in the MG6 in limited markets, maybe UK and Thailand alone. 

Good luck. 

On 02/01/2024 at 14:40, Rod/b said:

No

WDIAGW?

7 hours ago, warren t claim said:

mg5.png.b74a0c74b542c76a10ea8424bbe79ac6.png

Yes I know we've been together for less than a week, and I do understand not to rush things in any new car relationship, but I do think that it's healthy for a man and car to be open with each other regarding needs and desires in the bedroom/garage. 

I totally understand that you all think that I'm rushing into things by taking her to a sex shop after only a few days but I want our relationship to be secure enough for there to be no shame in us sharing our deepest fantasies with one another. 

Ok. Have a wank, clean up. You need to get earning! :)

On 04/01/2024 at 09:49, SiC said:

What's the red up arrow light for?

"Look up" 

It's telling you to stop looking at the dash because it's about to suffer a catastrophic FTP and wouldn't want to upset the driver with a warning light 😅

6 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Occasionally it'll flash up an error message regarding the traction control and hill start assist, although strangely enough not the ABS.

Is it start/stop equipped? Does it have an AGM battery fitted? 

That happened to the one we look after (you're all going to get tired of me saying that!) 

It had a shitty Lion battery installed which was far from healthy, and not start-stop suitable. 

Replaced it with a proper battery and all has been well. 

Would having stop/start disabled not help in this instance? Would be on and off every 25 seconds otherwise? (assuming it is as innocent as a battery) 

Something I've said before but a good mate has a golf with the wrong battery in and the stop start disabled, he views it as a benefit and bar a warning in the centre screen bit of the dash on start up there's no lights on the dash

3 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

Funny looking sex shop it's outside though

That picture is in 'Feegie Park' one of the less salubrious areas of the shitehole known as Paisley. Every 3 out of 4 flats there is a knocking shop. Rumour has it that 'durty wullie' in the invacare is waiting on the madame coming to help drag him up the stairs for his weekly seeing to by the domanatrix. 

Some crackin sleuthing from LBF

12 hours ago, chancer said:

That picture is in 'Feegie Park' one of the less salubrious areas of the shitehole known as Paisley. Every 3 out of 4 flats there is a knocking shop. Rumour has it that 'durty wullie' in the invacare is waiting on the madame coming to help drag him up the stairs for his weekly seeing to by the domanatrix. 

Some crackin sleuthing from LBF

I was going to say the "c. 1980s" estimate on the photo looked a bit late as it all looks very mid-'70s to me, but if you say it was taken in Paisley then I'm going to revise my estimate to around 2005.

1000 mile economy report.

43.4 mpg on the trip computer. The E7 was at 44.6 mpg but those figures don't tell the whole story. With my E7 being a large 7 passenger vehicle, one of very few on our fleet that works nights, it was allocated plenty of distance jobs to the airport where it sat at 60 mph. The MG has done probably over 90% of its miles in urban conditions. I've yet to do an airport run in the MG because the night when I was despatched a take out to MAN was the night when I got the puncture and there's no way I'd do that job without a spare wheel.

One thing that I've noticed about the MG is the very optimistic speedo. 100 on the clock reads 87 mph on the GPS. This may affect the data on the trip computer.

An interesting observation is that the feedback from punters has been 100% positive. Even those who've heard of the MG6 are surprised at how much nicer it is in real life than what they've heard and read about it. Several times a day I'll be told by passengers that this is a nice car, what is it? Even online on here, TDW and on the local taxi FB page nobody has used the words Chineseium, Chinky Shit or Wongbridge. 

I'm still impressed at how much of a driver's car it is regarding the handling and road manners. It's light years ahead if the Ioniq and although not up to the levels of the 70 plate Focus I drive from time to time, it's certainly about 95% as competent. I'd go as far to say that if you put the MG6 against a 150 bhp diesel Focus in a race around a track the deciding factor on which car won would be the skill of the driver.

Another positive point is the seat. I can hop out after a 15 hour shift with zero aches and pains. They also have superb lateral support, a point I noticed yesterday when I had to drive an early Mercedes SLK Kompressor. The driver's seat in the Merc had piss poor side bolsters compared to the MG. Mind you, if you're after some cheap open top speed I can highly recommend putting the SLK on your list. It's a shame that they didn't make a manual version.

A good question to ask is why did the MG6 fail to sell? Modern MGs seem to be selling in decent numbers so it can't be down to badge snobbery.  They offered a lot of well kitted car for not much money so had value on their side. Although they don't quite have the build quality of the prestige Kraut brands, their quality of interior plastics is vastly superior to those of a Mk4 Mondeo and even better that what you'd find in a 2007 Passat. I suppose that its nearest competitor is/was the Skoda Rabid, a car that I've never driven but I did take the Seat equivalent out for a long test drive and I'd rate the MG higher. 

4 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Mind you, if you're after some cheap open top speed I can highly recommend putting the SLK on your list. It's a shame that they didn't make a manual version.

A good question to ask is why did the MG6 fail to sell? 

They did do a manual SLK- just not very many. I was surprised but Richard K off of here has one.

As for the MG6 one of the key reasons it failed to sell was the utterly, utterly useless sales and marketing team that MG Motor UK had at the relaunch and for some time after, teamed with a small dealer network of independents who were expected to pay huge up-fronts for the privilege. The car itself probably wasn’t cheap enough either as one of the first Chinese cars sold in the country, and the fleets were never going to touch them unless they were free.

Pretending it was built in Longbridge didn’t fool many either, certainly not any of the vanishingly small number of people who still gave a shit about MG as a new car brand by the end of the Phoenix years (lets not pretend that the brand had a particularly good reputation by the time it was sold to Chinese) and especially after the well publicised shuttering and demolition of most of the site. 

Not launching with a diesel engine and never offering an auto didn’t help either. 

On 05/01/2024 at 15:14, warren t claim said:

mg5.png.b74a0c74b542c76a10ea8424bbe79ac6.png

Yes I know we've been together for less than a week, and I do understand not to rush things in any new car relationship, but I do think that it's healthy for a man and car to be open with each other regarding needs and desires in the bedroom/garage. 

I totally understand that you all think that I'm rushing into things by taking her to a sex shop after only a few days but I want our relationship to be secure enough for there to be no shame in us sharing our deepest fantasies with one another. 

I was intrigued by the picture.  Where in miseryside would that be taken?  Must be some dodgy backstreet on the edge of Birkenhead or maybe a part of bootle that's a little rough. 

But then the name of the newsagent gave it away.  Right outside Moorfield Station. The middle of the office district, walking distance from the Town hall.  The number of people walking past that on the way to and from work, getting off trains from the wirral, or off the northern line must be many thousands, every day. One train every 7 mins ? 

The 2 weeks I used the train daily to do jury duty, I must have walked past with my eyes closed. Never noticed. 

Screenshot_20240107-073004_Maps.jpg

2 hours ago, Rod/b said:

the fleets were never going to touch them unless they were free

Avis did famously take an early batch to rent out. 

https://dieselcar.com/avis-car-rental-adds-mg6-to-fleet/

Avis Car Rental - MG6 Turbo S

I wonder if they’ve still got one knocking about for me to hire when I land in Luton this August. 

Edit. Apparently if I go to Doha instead I can obtain an automatic one!

https://safetycarrental.com/our-fleet/mg-6

I once went to Leominster for a collection of an MG ZS (the original one and pre my time on AS).

Seller picked me up in an MG6.

Have to say, when they arrived, I thought 'Jesus, that is going to be a shit car. They are taking their passion for MG a stage too far. What a sad bastard'.

But. Then I got in it. It was a decent place to be. Seemed well screwed together, handled corners and bumps well enough. I was bloody impressed.

If I had bigger balls, I would buy one. But the availability or lack thereof of parts, means I can't bring myself to get one. 

Once they are sub 1k, my balls may swell.

10 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

Avis did famously take an early batch to rent out. 

https://dieselcar.com/avis-car-rental-adds-mg6-to-fleet/

Avis Car Rental - MG6 Turbo S

I wonder if they’ve still got one knocking about for me to hire when I land in Luton this August. 

Edit. Apparently if I go to Doha instead I can obtain an automatic one!

https://safetycarrental.com/our-fleet/mg-6

IIRC Avis got the cars for free. 

That’ll be the new MG6 for hire in Doha.  

IMG_9546.webp.9be23f0f5c1db6e9e10f22b3a457eabc.webp

If you look on AROnline you’ll see a load of my pictures of abandoned MGs i found when I lived there back in about 2012

https://www.aronline.co.uk/news/news-mgs-fall-out-in-qatar/

mainly Jap import Prius's (priusi???) around here, the odd Huge jap import MPV thingy ..

Dudley in case you're interested.. Sorry Dudleeeeeeey