The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sold a gearbox on eBay (the same one I couldn’t send before, if anyone remembers) UPS came to collect it and gave me approx 30 seconds to get out of bed and get to the door, by which time he was in his van with his indicator on trying to pull away.  “Not this time, you khaki shorted bastard!” The wife and children were in the garden so didn’t hear the light tap he did on the front door, despite there being a ring doorbell right next to him which would’ve alerted the whole household. I had to sprint to the van in my keks and bang on the bonnet to get him to stop.  He took the gearbox but neglected to scan it so it’s still showing as “label created”. Hope it gets there. 

Oh, and despite gearboxes being on the list that UPS are fine to accept and having sent many in the past via UPS I listed it as an AC MOTOR as last time I tried to drop it at the depot the boss had a hissy fit about a drained, cleaned, plugged and thoroughly shrink wrapped gearbag being sent. 

Fscking eBay.

Trying to return a defective item.  Rather than just govotyou a label to print, they now give you a QR code the post office have to scan to generate the label.

Great.  Except the automated system which generated said code had created a label for a large letter.  Not 15kg of box.  So got the teller at the post office to give me the address so I could label it up myself and send it that way.

The seller has already been arsey about handling the return, so I reckon I may as well just have set fire to the money spent posting it, but we'll see.

Not holding my breath.

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Fscking eBay.

Trying to return a defective item.  Rather than just govotyou a label to print, they now give you a QR code the post office have to scan to generate the label.

Great.  Except the automated system which generated said code had created a label for a large letter.  Not 15kg of box.  So got the teller at the post office to give me the address so I could label it up myself and send it that way.

The seller has already been arsey about handling the return, so I reckon I may as well just have set fire to the money spent posting it, but we'll see.

Not holding my breath.

This is a weird flaw/loophole with eBay.

Whatever the jobsworth on the post office counter says, it should still be accepted and it will get there

I had exactly that recently, a towbar kit so you can imagine the size. I was given a label for a small parcel, upto 2kg. The box was over a meter long and weighed at least 15kg, but I simply attached the label, posted it and it got there without delay, I was only charged around £3.35 for the label. (Buyers remorse, not faulty) 

The guy in my local post office knows me fairly well and generally doesn't give 2 shits about what you're trying to post unlike 95% of post office workers who seem to have a face of thunder by default and take great pleasure when your large letter doesn't fit through their shitty template without resistance. 

But I imagine the large letter label would have still managed to get your item delivered!

There should have been an option to print the label yourself? I remember having to navigate around the forced QR code though, but I did manage to print it myself. 

56 minutes ago, gm said:

sciatica :( 

and it’s fucking sore :( 

on the bright side, i phoned the docs this morning and got an appointment for this afternoon - i am now armed with the good tablets, i hope they kick in soon.

don’t expect much spannering from me this week :( 

Tabs won't sort it tho, are you in for physio?

*BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! 

AAAAAAAARGH

11 hours ago, gm said:

he didn’t mention physio, said it would settle down given time :( tablets don’t seem to have done much yet either 

Unfortunately this seems to be what you get from GPs now, a prescription and sod all else.  You may have to be quite insistent to get on a waiting list for physio.  And then, of course, who knows long the list will be!

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

*BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! *BEEP*BEEP*  CAUTION! THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT! 

AAAAAAAARGH

Not just me that feels the need to jump under it then. 

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

This is a weird flaw/loophole with eBay.

Whatever the jobsworth on the post office counter says, it should still be accepted and it will get there

I had exactly that recently, a towbar kit so you can imagine the size. I was given a label for a small parcel, upto 2kg. The box was over a meter long and weighed at least 15kg, but I simply attached the label, posted it and it got there without delay, I was only charged around £3.35 for the label. (Buyers remorse, not faulty) 

The guy in my local post office knows me fairly well and generally doesn't give 2 shits about what you're trying to post unlike 95% of post office workers who seem to have a face of thunder by default and take great pleasure when your large letter doesn't fit through their shitty template without resistance. 

But I imagine the large letter label would have still managed to get your item delivered!

There should have been an option to print the label yourself? I remember having to navigate around the forced QR code though, but I did manage to print it myself. 

There's another grump in there - and that's the post office itself.  Both of the half way decent ones near to us have closed in the last year, so the only one that's really usable is one that's 90% Bargain Booze with a tiny post office counter in the corner.

The central Milton Keynes branch is utterly pointless - it's 95% automated, and doing anything that involves speaking to a human being involves a 20 minute queue, at which point it usually turns out the person who gave you the ticket sent you to the wrong teller so you need to start again.  Last time I was in there posting a parcel internationally I was in there for just under an hour.

The only nearby parking* is £2 an hour too.  Unless you want to faff about in the multistorey anyway - but at that point walking to/from the car has probably added another 20 minutes onto the trip so you'd have been just as well driving across town to one of the other options which are invariably less frustrating anyway.

*They do have a whole four dedicated spaces of their own, but I've never managed to nab one of those.

There was a button to print my own label shown on eBay, but clicking it just kept returning me to the same page with the same QR code on it, so something is broken there.  I did try three different devices as well in case it was a problem at my end, with the same result.

I've been having some form of Sciatica , lower back , arsecheek then into my hip and knee which I can deal with, what I can't deal with are the muscles mid back that are going into spasm randomly as a result of the sciatic nerve.  Halfway up out of a chair and it'll feel like I've been macheted 

Had an MRI which shows a bulging disk, been offered a steroid injection into the spine which I think I'll decline and give the physio more of a chance,  The occasional Diazepam to release the spasms ( prescribed) is quite pleasant  !

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

There's another grump in there - and that's the post office itself.  Both of the half way decent ones near to us have closed in the last year, so the only one that's really usable is one that's 90% Bargain Booze with a tiny post office counter in the corner.

The central Milton Keynes branch is utterly pointless - it's 95% automated, and doing anything that involves speaking to a human being involves a 20 minute queue, at which point it usually turns out the person who gave you the ticket sent you to the wrong teller so you need to start again.  Last time I was in there posting a parcel internationally I was in there for just under an hour.

The only nearby parking* is £2 an hour too.  Unless you want to faff about in the multistorey anyway - but at that point walking to/from the car has probably added another 20 minutes onto the trip so you'd have been just as well driving across town to one of the other options which are invariably less frustrating anyway.

*They do have a whole four dedicated spaces of their own, but I've never managed to nab one of those.

There was a button to print my own label shown on eBay, but clicking it just kept returning me to the same page with the same QR code on it, so something is broken there.  I did try three different devices as well in case it was a problem at my end, with the same result.

I've just sent out a 1/18 Sierra I sold. 

Guaranteed overnight delivery with a company called Econt.Going to Sofia so a good 300km away.

The buyer gets to open and inspect if they want,pay the purchase price plus shipping of 6 bg lev (£2.50) and I'll collect the cash on Friday..

If he doesn't want it then he pays 2x shipping and I get it returned. 

4 hours ago, omegod said:

I've been having some form of Sciatica , lower back , arsecheek then into my hip and knee which I can deal with, what I can't deal with are the muscles mid back that are going into spasm randomly as a result of the sciatic nerve.  Halfway up out of a chair and it'll feel like I've been macheted 

Had an MRI which shows a bulging disk, been offered a steroid injection into the spine which I think I'll decline and give the physio more of a chance,  The occasional Diazepam to release the spasms ( prescribed) is quite pleasant  !

Welcome to my world did this 25 years ago been in pain since.

Refused the injection ( as it's only pain killing , you can only have it 3 times which meens after that you'll be in more agony as you'll have aggravated it that much nothing will ever give pain relief ever again, will only operate if you loose feeling below the waste).

1 minute ago, gm said:

jesus, is that what i have to look forward to ? fuck getting old ! (i’m 53 this year)

Treasure your youth lad :-) 
Somebody once told me that my age was just a number - that's just fine and dandy when you're what? 40? 21?

I was 53  seven years ago and, despite my best attempts at ignoring it, things do start to get slower, stiffer (not THAT I'm afraid) and anything you sprain/pull break takes much, much longer to mend. 
Trick is to take a little bit more care of yourself with things like heavy lifting, bending etc etc and even (gasp!) ask for help - yes, I know, not the Victor Meldrew way 

5 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

And furthermore 

A4982C91-0FB4-4222-927C-0CFA7D8E9893.thumb.jpeg.0d9ff1471c8532ee2c9dbccc3108f392.jpeg

Bollocks.

So glad it was my day off today. I have one of the few jobs (postman) where I'm happy when it rains on my day off. And it was proper rain today, not just a bit of drizzle. And I just sat there drinking coffee, looking out the window and thinking of everybody else out on delivery. And then drinking more coffee. Bliss. 

25 minutes ago, Yoss said:

So glad it was my day off today. I have one of the few jobs (postman) where I'm happy when it rains on my day off. And it was proper rain today, not just a bit of drizzle. And I just sat there drinking coffee, looking out the window and thinking of everybody else out on delivery. And then drinking more coffee. Bliss. 

there's always some cunt worse off in this world. got home with very wet feet plus couldn't see much as open face lid and no goggles other than sunnies which didn't really work. living and loving the dream.

On 8/1/2023 at 3:23 PM, Lankytim said:

Sold a gearbox on eBay (the same one I couldn’t send before, if anyone remembers) UPS came to collect it and gave me approx 30 seconds to get out of bed and get to the door, by which time he was in his van with his indicator on trying to pull away.  “Not this time, you khaki shorted bastard!” The wife and children were in the garden so didn’t hear the light tap he did on the front door, despite there being a ring doorbell right next to him which would’ve alerted the whole household. I had to sprint to the van in my keks and bang on the bonnet to get him to stop.  He took the gearbox but neglected to scan it so it’s still showing as “label created”. Hope it gets there. 

Oh, and despite gearboxes being on the list that UPS are fine to accept and having sent many in the past via UPS I listed it as an AC MOTOR as last time I tried to drop it at the depot the boss had a hissy fit about a drained, cleaned, plugged and thoroughly shrink wrapped gearbag being sent. 

UPS only delivered the gearbox! A couple of hours later I got this message though…. Feck. Have I been scammed? EBay chat was helpful but I’m half expecting the buyer to try a chargeback through their bank in the coming days… The buyer was a new ebayer with 0 feedback. 

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

14 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Google translator I depend on this to be able to post here but I don't know what's happening on it as I have to correct it more and more often now and I'm a dyslexic non native English speaker so should have thought it was better than this.

Have you tried Babelfish?

I haven't looked at it for years and have used Google Translate a bit and found it adequate but it does seem to me that a lot of Google stuff is deteriorating recently.

17 hours ago, Lankytim said:

UPS only delivered the gearbox! A couple of hours later I got this message though…. Feck. Have I been scammed? EBay chat was helpful but I’m half expecting the buyer to try a chargeback through their bank in the coming days… The buyer was a new ebayer with 0 feedback. 

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

I had a similar issue as a buyer, I paid for a spares car and on the hour the transporter was due to pick it up the sellers account disappeared from ebay. I'd stupidly paid by bank transfer too so was somewhat surprised/relieved that the car turned up as described an hour later , it had been left for collection in a field with the keys in apparently 

18 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Google translator I depend on this to be able to post here but I don't know what's happening on it as I have to correct it more and more often now and I'm a dyslexic non native English speaker so should have thought it was better than this.

Another suggestion.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

it has a limit on the number of words it translates but you can open the web page numerous times at the same time. Thus you can max it out.