The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Kids just want to be rich when they get older, he wants to be a mountain biker as his full time job... that's it, nothing else, just mountain biking. Someone is going to pay him to ride a mountain bike.  

Get him to enter some junior races. The only way you get paid is if you're racing and winning.
a couple of good arse-kickings off some of the hard-training juniors out there should help straighten that one out.

Driving to work this morning, had a normal level of grumpiness about the amount of cars with a headlamp out. Remember thinking about how I've had this car nearly three years without a single bulb required.

Got in car after work. Guess which brand new warning I got on the dash?

In other news, petrol stations are arseholes who will charge you £9.99 for a bulb that Amazon sell in a ten pack for £6.99.

In more other news, the apprentice engineer who designed the replacement method for a BMW F21 dipped beam bulb can absolutely get fucked. Wheelarch hatch and working blind my arse.

Flog it and buy an E21 instead.  Sorted.

You'd think the NHS would know better and treat it's staff better, and find that they had less issues long term. 

I have tears of laughter running down my cheeks. The NHS generally treat the staff worse than a scabby donkey at WeWorkScabbyDonkeysToDeath Ltd. In the majority of cases (in my experience), the greater majority of NHS managers are generally fucking useless twats who shouldn't be left in charge of their own body parts.

For some bizarre reason the very worst of the clueless, arrogant and huge ego dickheads rise to the top in NHS management. It is very odd. There are the odd one or two who are good but they get beaten down rather quickly and move on, the void then gets filled with a galloping knob head 'I want to be chief exec by the time I'm 35' type twat. 

When I did my Unison rep course, there was a small group that were setting up a branch in their company: a well known food contractor providing canteen services in hospitals.

They had a number of grievances, but the final straw that led them to unionise was this. If you work in food preparation, food hygiene regulations state that if you have any symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea you should wait a period of time symptom-free (I think two days) before returning to work. Their company sickness policy put them on a disciplinary if they were off for - you guessed it - two days or more.

Granted they worked for a contractor rather than the NHS itself but I think it's reasonable to expect food prepared in hospitals to be safe to eat, and for staff working within the NHS not to be put in such a difficult position.

Granted they worked for a contractor rather than the NHS itself but I think it's reasonable to expect food prepared in hospitals to be safe to eat, and for staff working within the NHS not to be put in such a difficult position.

In a sensible world if this was reported you would expect the contractor to have to change that or lose their contact.

But that isn't where we are.

Took the Saab out to get supplies as the only working car until next week when my MOT man returns from working in Elgin 80+ miles away to retest the Disco. Saab has grinding brakes, droning wheel bearings and suspension so worn it looks lowered. Hit a lump of ice that had just fallen off a passing wagon, and due to the "lowered" suspension, it promptly removed half of the front splitter, under tray and assorted wiring! Duct tape and tywraps (the usual full* toolkit I carry) got me home but decided that was the final straw and repairs have to be done, so SORNed it straight away. This of cause left me with NO working cars until next week.

So, phoned my MOT man and I am driving to

Elgin for an MOT tomorrow. WCPGW?

Arse! Disco passed MOT and has done 130 miles of the 160 mile round trip. Was running great doing a steady 55 when it just cut out!

Now waiting on the AA

Arse again!

Aye lad, that's the daft bit. We all get sick pay n all so why turn up just to act ill, do nothing & infect everyone else?

In the NHS you get hugely penalised via the Bradford Score in relation to sickness monitoring, leading to all kinds of warnings and such stuff. There is simply no recognition of staying off sick for a couple of days due to the risk of spreading the bugs. Ironically the longer you stay off the better it is for the score. It is the repated short sickness that gets you in the shit, just like what happens when people go in when unwell.........

Bradford score has doubled absence at our place. Before it people would do their best to get in even they weren’t 100%, now most take as much time as it needs to get right so they don’t risk a double hit if they end up going offf again. It’s utter bollocks.

When I did my Unison rep course, there was a small group that were setting up a branch in their company: a well known food contractor providing canteen services in hospitals.

They had a number of grievances, but the final straw that led them to unionise was this. If you work in food preparation, food hygiene regulations state that if you have any symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea you should wait a period of time symptom-free (I think two days) before returning to work. Their company sickness policy put them on a disciplinary if they were off for - you guessed it - two days or more.

Are you still a rep SMH?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Phoebe is still ill, so I am  still carrying her around. It is now debatable which of us is going to end up worse... I'm winning at the moment, just not a competition I want to win, or indeed, even play! Wish she'd get better, I hate to see her in pain and when she squeeks, a little bit of me dies inside.

No, I dropped it when I relocated a few years ago. I keep meaning to pick it up again but there are more existing reps where I am now so I'm not seeing a pressing need.

Worth doing though, I learned a lot.

Yeah, I was a rep, then on full time release as Branch Sec, now work at head office.

Colleague has had an informal disciplinary but they didn't notify them in advance that the meeting was of a disciplinary nature and then notified her of the outcome by email.

Uh-oh...

That has got to be some kind of contract breach on the company's part. Tribunal/inquest? Someone has dropped a serious clanger here.

I've advised them that they are in breach of due process, to download all the emails off the server and put them out of the organisation's reach and contact the Union.  I've also explained the law to them and advised that any further contact with management on this matter should be through the Union and to not go to them directly.

I described the whole thing to my colleague as 'Pushing my Leftie Button'.  Which about sums it up.

I've advised them that they are in breach of due process, to download all the emails off the server and put them out of the organisation's reach and contact the Union. I've also explained the law to them and advised that any further contact with management on this matter should be through the Union and to not go to them directly.

I described the whole thing to my colleague as 'Pushing my Leftie Button'. Which about sums it up.

It’s to their advantage though as failure to follow due process will ensure it’s thrown out at the very least and possibly a kick up the arse for whoever tried it on. One of previous bosses was a grade A knob but thankfully also crap enough to think policies didn’t apply to them. Half an hour going through what had happened followed by a quick meeting with big boss along the lines of ‘we could take this further but member is happy just to put whole thing behind them’ always sorted it out. The year before they retired I was involved in problems for members getting into double figures, since they went there has been one in three years and to be fair they had made a mistake and everything was carried out very professionally.

It’s to their advantage though as failure to follow due process will ensure it’s thrown out at the very least and possibly a kick up the arse for whoever tried it on. One of previous bosses was a grade A knob but thankfully also crap enough to think policies didn’t apply to them. Half an hour going through what had happened followed by a quick meeting with big boss alongs the lines of ‘we could take this further but member is happy just to put whole thing behind them’ always sorted it out. It the year before they retired I was involved in problems for members getting into double figures, since they went there has been one in three years and to be fair they had made a mistake and everything was carried out very professionally.

Well that's the point I've made to my colleague.  We have a new senior management team (mostly) and one of them I think is a bully that needs to be taken down a notch.  And taken down a notch early before she tries it on with anybody else.

It might not change anything and my colleague is happy about the summary of the meeting that was given to them apart from the first sentence which spoke about disciplinary procedures.  My colleague asked if they should contact the senior manager and raise the point or go straight to the union.  My advice was to go straight to the union because if our organisation were to then act in a retaliatory way to my colleague, this senior manager would be in even deeper shit.

TLDR; taking down a bully a few pegs and making their actions have consequences for their potential employment.

I've advised them that they are in breach of due process, to download all the emails off the server and put them out of the organisation's reach and contact the Union. I've also explained the law to them and advised that any further contact with management on this matter should be through the Union and to not go to them directly.

I described the whole thing to my colleague as 'Pushing my Leftie Button'. Which about sums it up.

The letter/email confirming the outcome must tell them how to appeal and they must have been given the opportunity to take representation to the hearing. Advice to contact their union is spot on, they might want to respond asking about their right to appeal if not stated, also ask for a copy of the disciplinary policy and procedure... To ensure they don't miss a deadline for appealing..

Well that's the point I've made to my colleague. We have a new senior management team (mostly) and one of them I think is a bully that needs to be taken down a notch. And taken down a notch early before she tries it on with anybody else.

It might not change anything and my colleague is happy about the summary of the meeting that was given to them apart from the first sentence which spoke about disciplinary procedures. My colleague asked if they should contact the senior manager and raise the point or go straight to the union. My advice was to go straight to the union because if our organisation were to then act in a retaliatory way to my colleague, this senior manager would be in even deeper shit.

TLDR; taking down a bully a few pegs and making their actions have consequences for their potential employment.

Been there done that, usually your best friend here is a sensible and trustworthy member of the management (dont all laugh at the back) and then you can have a chat and get it sorted that way - as in bully issue, not original issue.

The letter/email confirming the outcome must tell them how to appeal and they must have been given the opportunity to take representation to the hearing. Advice to contact their union is spot on, they might want to respond asking about their right to appeal if not stated, also ask for a copy of the disciplinary policy and procedure... To ensure they don't miss a deadline for appealing..

That was my understanding too.  Which is what I said to my colleague.

Hopefully they will take it to the union and at least point out to the senior management that they're not going to get away with trying that old trick.

It is quite ironic that in my sector, most of the senior management have worked up through the ranks yet still think this sort of behaviour is either acceptable, are just ignorant of the law or think they'll get away with it.

At any meeting of a disciplinary nature where there is a chance that something might be put on record, the employee has to be informed prior to the meeting that it will discuss such matters and they have the right to bring a representative from a union with them.  If a disciplinary meeting takes place without that information being given to the employee then they can't arrange representation and that is what is against the law.

The employee has a right to know what is going to be discussed.  They can choose to waive their right to a representative but that has to be an informed choice.  Subsequent to the meeting, notification must also be presented in writing informing the employee of the outcome and documenting the appeals process.  This is not a choice of the employer, this is their statutory duty and not doing any of the above is a breach of employment law.

An 'informal disciplinary' is still a disciplinary and the above still applies.

There is no such thing as an informal disciplinary, its either informal, or its a disciplinary.

When can't you be accompanied to a meeting?

You do not have the right to be accompanied to an informal chat with your employer or to an initial fact-finding or investigatory meeting. This is a meeting where your employer tries to find out what has happened.

Even though you do not have a legal right to be accompanied, you can ask your employer to let you bring someone with you but they do not have to agree to this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/problems-at-work/disciplinary-meetings/who-can-accompany-you-to-a-disciplinary-meeting/