ebay 'BARGAINS'

Mr_Bo11ox

Look at the two and eight of this, which used to be a Lomas ambulance. "I have a rare thing which I've sodded up by eliminating all vestiges of originality; it's worth ££££ now"

Landrover campervan Built as a prototype for the Royal Navy in 1967, this is believed to be 1 of 3 ever made. Google the photos..you will only find 1 photograph on the whole Internet. Re-chassis onto a Range Rover classic chassis LSE 108" wheelbase and correctly registered with DVLA. 300TDI Discovery engine and running gear

wtf2.thumb.jpg.a9fab22ece10123af895fd6481101a92.jpg

On 8/4/2023 at 2:28 AM, Metal Guru said:

I don’t think I could trust myself not to just drive into anyone driving badly rather than stop or take avoiding action.

Plus you could close all the hatches and drive off. "Accident? I didn't hear a thing"

Land Rover 101  For a bargain price £34,950.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115892085646

Only 4 images.

image.thumb.png.dd1fb5031df6836ccf35ac3c30e27939.png

I'm a pain in the backside stickler for originality and have made sure every detail is correct. The chassis is superb, retaining all of it's original factory underseal and showing no signs of corrosion at all

Looking at the image below that is not original underseal - Too much over spray.

image.thumb.png.1394c341fb67b4cd6e00eb2f60261112.png

For whatever reason, this 101 absolutely flies along, and having driven several 101's over the years it's by far the most powerful I've driven. I've not been able to confirm this yet, but an ex serviceman who knows 101's well, told me that the only 101's he knew of with a classified history were tasked with guarding nuclear weapons movements. These vehicles were supposedly fitted with higher output engines.

Or it could be that the previous owner uprated the engine. Or it could be imagination.

I have fond memories of driving these when they were in service.  Great go anywhere vehicle, together with a glorious v8 burble. Had a decent heater too.

But at 35k it is a bit too rich for me.

Factory underseal? 🤣 The army only let their VMs have one kind of paint, it's mud coloured and applied using a broom. No one is going to soup up the engine in a 101 and let squaddies drive it, they fall over easily enough as it is. More likely a civvie has fitted high comp pistons and maybe a better cam in a standard low comp V8 and bolted it back together.

19 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Were there really 'only' 505 of these built as there were loads around back in the day - How Many Left is not much help ??

53 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Were there really 'only' 505 of these built as there were loads around back in the day - How Many Left is not much help ??

Yes. 500 where built for sale and 5 for press and demo purposes.

MG Maestro Turbo – the full story of this super-fast hot-hatch (aronline.co.uk)

The Tickford build records confirm that 215 examples had been finished in Flame Red, 149 in British Racing Green metallic, 92 in White Diamond and 49 in Black.

5 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Yes. 500 where built for sale and 5 for press and demo purposes.

MG Maestro Turbo – the full story of this super-fast hot-hatch (aronline.co.uk)

Thanks for the link - interesting read - especially towards the end where the continuation of the MG program is discussed, stuff wot I never knew.
Having had the joy* of piloting a non-turbo EFI version around in the wet and enjoying* the charismatic and quaint*  torque steer I wonder how the turbo ones handled?

57 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Thanks for the link - interesting read - especially towards the end where the continuation of the MG program is discussed, stuff wot I never knew.
Having had the joy* of piloting a non-turbo EFI version around in the wet and enjoying* the charismatic and quaint*  torque steer I wonder how the turbo ones handled?

I've not had the pleasure of driving a Turbo but based on my experience with my EFi I wouldn't want any more torque without serious modification to the front suspension. AFAIK the Turbo uses exactly the same suspension and brakes as the EFi. Drums at the back... 

The story is typical ARG over-complicating a project that needn't have been too costly. The MG Montego Turbo was virtually the same car so creating the Maestro version shouldn't have needed outside assistance. 

My view is that it had to be a 'skunk works' project for political reasons, as the 'mainline' ARG buffs thought the Maestro wasn't worthy of the turbo engine. 

Incidentally this type of 'special' project was and is rife at Jaguar Land Rover (Special Vehicle Operations). As a department they get loads of column inches and charge a lot for their small production run cars. 

Also as a department they consider themselves exempt from company 'rules' and create havoc for after sales with special service procedures and needing stupid limited run parts support. 

16 hours ago, grogee said:

I've not had the pleasure of driving a Turbo but based on my experience with my EFi I wouldn't want any more torque without serious modification to the front suspension. AFAIK the Turbo uses exactly the same suspension and brakes as the EFi. Drums at the back... 

The story is typical ARG over-complicating a project that needn't have been too costly. The MG Montego Turbo was virtually the same car so creating the Maestro version shouldn't have needed outside assistance. 

My view is that it had to be a 'skunk works' project for political reasons, as the 'mainline' ARG buffs thought the Maestro wasn't worthy of the turbo engine. 

Incidentally this type of 'special' project was and is rife at Jaguar Land Rover (Special Vehicle Operations). As a department they get loads of column inches and charge a lot for their small production run cars. 

Also as a department they consider themselves exempt from company 'rules' and create havoc for after sales with special service procedures and needing stupid limited run parts support. 

When the supply of SD1 run out cars petered out The Met were casting around for something else to use from within their limited choice (i.e. BL. I've no idea if the Special Vehicles Division were involved or if it was just some Fleet Sales malarky). They'd centrally assess various cars for suitability. If they were deemed likely candidates then they'd get some liveried up and send out for us grunts to try and break. The cars would get rotated around every few weeks and questionnaires filled in. 

Full on fleet orders would usually be a 'police spec' so you'd get things like manual windows instead of electric, zips in the headlining so they could access the roof for light fittings and so on. The trial cars sent out were a little different in that they were often a mix of bits and bobs - e.g. we had a Montego EFi on steel wheels but with the red seat belts. That car sticks in my mind (stodgy) and the Maestro for twitchiness. 820 was stodge too (but a bit more sedate to handle).

Eventually they went with the 2.0i Sierra for us lowlifes, traffic gods got Rover 827 - both came in automatic form as that was the norm (not sure if the manual box in the Montego/Maestro was seen as a minus). Tickford were someplace on the periphery of the 827 assessments and you'd see the odd thing (like a Turbo Technics twin turbo Sierra 4x4) floating around that we could often look at but not touch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 2:31 AM, somewhatfoolish said:

Look at the two and eight of this, which used to be a Lomas ambulance. "I have a rare thing which I've sodded up by eliminating all vestiges of originality; it's worth ££££ now"

wtf2.thumb.jpg.a9fab22ece10123af895fd6481101a92.jpg

What a pile of shit.

Wonder if it's this one:

image.thumb.jpeg.124917857c53ee90063fcec21f586da4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295925673642

"Please I ask only for Genuine Enquires.   !!!!!!!!! NOT TIME WASTERS OR TYRE KICKERS.!!!!!!!!!"

"The Price is £13995. Please NO OFFERS. "

sdsds.thumb.jpg.58e77bc560a68b2a71238c4e540e4f88.jpg

To be fair the price is probably to cover the cost of the sheer gallons of tyre shine used on those joyroad ditchfinders

On 8/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, EyesWeldedShut said:

Eventually they went with the 2.0i Sierra for us lowlifes, traffic gods got Rover 827 - both came in automatic form as that was the norm (not sure if the manual box in the Montego/Maestro was seen as a minus). Tickford were someplace on the periphery of the 827 assessments and you'd see the odd thing (like a Turbo Technics twin turbo Sierra 4x4) floating around that we could often look at but not touch.

How did the Sierras fare? I always found they fell apart quite soon. 

My mate was the chassis engineer for the 827s for various polices forces around the country. They hated the A68 in Northumberland when used in anger. Having driven this road at speed, I can understand the issue. The last vehicle I took on it at speed and load was a MG ZT-T 260.