LATIN MONEYPIT Thema dreamer

HMC

What a pile of utter tosh. It must be saved etc etc.

I would call J. Davidson, me, and post it in the scrap it thread.

Mind you, when Conrad and I travelled Italy two years ago, we visited a classic car dealership in Perugia

that had four of them, all in pristine condition. Two of them were originals, the other two were home made estates.

They wanted in the region of 8 Eurobags for the most expensive one.

I.think I got a bit carried away with the whole Ferrari connection, the lure of something that would eventually (maybe never TBH) make something similar to the intoxicating Ferrari yowl blaring through a tunnel is a dream of mine but not one I can realistically satisfy. Note to self: Iam not Gianni Agnelli, get a grip man.

I Know Gabrielle sang that dreams can come true but I suspect she was singing out of her arse and no doubt certainly never bought a festering lancia thema V8.

I went a wee trip up to a notoriously odd garage near Kinross about twenty years ago. I was not disappointed, especially when the mechanic took it a spin round the yard for its' 'daily exercise'.

Surprised we've got this point in discussing one of these without mentioning that it wasn't any faster than the turbo.

....I Know Gabrielle sang that dreams can come true but I suspect she was singing out of her arse and no doubt certainly never bought a festering lancia thema V8.

She also sang Out Of Reach, which is also ironic as far as Ferraris go.

https://youtu.be/uxfAIVfmRa8

While I would normally have the horn for a Lancia and I've always rather liked the look of the Thema, I can't get these four words out of my mind. Front Wheel Drive Fezza.

I also concur with the earlier observation of the fuse box hanging down being a warning sign..

But the gaffer tape holding down the speed chute door on the boot is priceless.

The engine would however make a lovely coffee table.

CFD

Thanks junkman. I just did. I was told do a paper NOVA and send in a covering letter explaining the circumstances and there SHOULD be no trouble.

That'd still be enough to put me off as it sounds like they guy on the phone giving his opinion rather than what's going to happen once you've sunk £££ into buying it

If you have evidence it arrived here before NOVA existed then that's fine. If this thing had an MoT in 2004 then that will be enough proof. I did this on my 404.

Really, NOVA is not a malevolent force designed to ruin the life of old car enthusiasts. It's just an annoying extra bit of bureaucracy that adds 10 minutes of form filling to your day. Importing a car is a piece of piss.

HOWEVER there is absolutely zero chance that Thema is ever gonna go back on the road I'm afraid. It's a parts car, that's all. No DIYer has ever grappled with one of these things. They make Reg Bollox's Maser look like an MGB.

If anyone wants to experience the full 'DIY Ferrari-engined Lancia experience' please write me a cheque for £10,000 and I'll come round your house and talk to you like a piece of shit whilst poking your knuckles with a blunt craft knife, and I'll only leave when you start properly crying.

If anyone wants to experience the full 'DIY Ferrari-engined Lancia experience' please write me a cheque for £10,000 and I'll come round your house and talk to you like a piece of shit whilst poking your knuckles with a blunt craft knife, and I'll only leave when you start properly crying.

Shut up and take my money!

I went a wee trip up to a notoriously odd garage near Kinross about twenty years ago. I was not disappointed, especially when the mechanic took it a spin round the yard for its' 'daily exercise'.

Surprised we've got this point in discussing one of these without mentioning that it wasn't any faster than the turbo.

That was the green one which went down to Basildon. I test drove it when I was looking for one but it just didn't feel right so left it. I eventually bought mine from London in 1999 and still have it.

You're right, it isn't any faster than the turbo but is an entirely different drive with more midrange & better soundtrack. The spoiler is manually operated from a switch on the wiper stalk by the way. 

And no, I wouldn't touch that one with yours!

Here's a picture of mine.

post-18002-0-07689900-1516554602_thumb.jpg

post-18002-0-26005100-1516554646_thumb.jpg

That was the green one which went down to Basildon. I test drove it when I was looking for one but it just didn't feel right so left it. I eventually bought mine from London in 1999 and still have it.

You're right, it isn't any faster than the turbo but is an entirely different drive with more midrange & better soundtrack. The spoiler is manually operated from a switch on the wiper stalk by the way. 

And no, I wouldn't touch that one with yours!

Here's a picture of mine.

attachicon.gif8.32 interior.JPG

attachicon.gif8.32.JPG

That does look rather lovely. The interior is a bit reminiscent of a Maserati Biturbo, which is also a nice place to be.

HOWEVER there is absolutely zero chance that Thema is ever gonna go back on the road I'm afraid. It's a parts car, that's all. No DIYer has ever grappled with one of these things. They make Reg Bollox's Maser look like an MGB

Yo!!!! I just dont buy this. I cannot see why its not DIY fixable, its all 25+ yr-old technology, so should be easily DIY-able should it not? I get it that if you need to buy a head gasket or whatever its going to be expensive, and theres no haynes manual, but if it has rusty sills or electrical problems I would have thought they'd be within the realms of possibility for a competent and patient DIYer?

Having said all that, I'm simply too old for DIY'ing that mutha, thats for sure.

I`m with Bollocks, I cant see any good reason why its not revivable.. I had an 86 S1 Thema Turbo (which was admittedly a criminally uncared for £150 dog with chronic rust & electrical issues) & an 84 Fez 308 QV, other than the arsey timing belt change (that HAS to be done way too often), & the dodgy electrics (usually tired wiring & connectors rather than hardware issues), its no more complex to work on than a Tipo or a 164. It's all very do-able by someone competent in the art of Ay-Tai-shite, &, unusually for a shitter, would see a good return after a refresh in the right hands.

And if it was totally rotten, you could import a Thema SW & convert it into a RHD 8.32 wagon, or, do something mental, like bung the running gear straight into a 164, Croma or Saab 9000, should also slot into a Tipo/Tempra/Dedra/155 easily too.

If my time/space/money continuum was right, I`d be on it, alas its all totally up the spout, so I`ll have to leave it to another lunatic. 

Well, do you have any evidence of this? Otherwise it is pure assumption isn't it?  I think we all agree that there should be laws but many of us also think that the principle of innocent until proven guilty should apply.

My mother's family and my in-laws are Irish and weren't always treated that well in England because people made sweeping assumptions about immigrants.  Perhaps we should be careful about referring to 'them' and 'us'.

This.

That does look rather lovely. The interior is a bit reminiscent of a Maserati Biturbo, which is also a nice place to be.

It is a little but the 8.32 is a far better car. I had a 430 4v for around 6 years but whilst it never actually broke down, it always felt like a £48000 car with a £47500 engine. The rest was a pile of shit.

post-18002-0-57925000-1516648906_thumb.jpg

post-18002-0-05183700-1516648933_thumb.jpg

This is what happened to it.

post-18002-0-18441500-1516648986_thumb.jpg