Unpopular Motoring Opinion Thread

UltraWomble

BMW E28s, at least the common-or-garden spec ones:  Really disappointing.

Went to take a test drive in a 520 (iirc) in my 1987 Cavalier, circa 1992. Had seen the car first and couldn't get up there quick enough with the cash to add on top of the Vauxhall. The BMW was horrible in comparison, the spec was crap compared to the Cavalier (my fault, should have looked properly when I saw it the first time), it didn't drive as nice, it rattled and it was just really dull. Was quite deflated as had wanted to buy it.

12 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

That's not a Northern euphemism for an unseemly sexual practice is it?"I caught t'dirty bugger putting his bins out early yesterday.Didn't think I'd seem him,he didn't.I'd have likes of him castrated ,I would, that'd stop 'em!"Apologies to Mrs Grady,Old Lady,in the Viz.

The bellend next door is our local "binfluencer". We all use him to remember which colour bin to put out that day.

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

The bellend next door is our local "binfluencer". We all use him to remember which colour bin to put out that day.

Why are wheelie bins so noisy? Our bin lorry has changed its route and now turns up before 7am instead of around 11 am, so I have to put my bin out the night before. Trouble is I nearly always forget until I’m going to bed , usually sometime after 11. When I do, every house I can see has no lights on and looks like everyone has gone to bed. As a result , ever revolution of the bin wheels , sounds like a  big bass drum of a marching band.

(Halfway through writing this it dawned on me, that everyone goes to bed early, because the bin lorry will wake them up shortly after 6).

8 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Is 'bin lorry juice' just a specific thing round here or does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I remember seeing a bin lorry pulling out of a junction and a river of juice poured out the back all over the road.

It smelled twice as bad as you imagine.

8 minutes ago, Asimo said:

50 horsepower per ton is plenty. Violent acceleration is just willie-waving.

You obviously don’t live 50 miles from the nearest dual carriageway or motorway and spend all your time on twisty A and B roads stuck behind people who can’t or won’t overtake tractors doing 15 mph.

12 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Is 'bin lorry juice' just a specific thing round here or does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I was behind a truck earlier today with one of those massive rectangular skips on, with juice leaking in front of me!

14 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Why are wheelie bins so noisy?

Try this one wierd trick:  (no really, this actually works...)

Balance it on one wheel while rolling it.  I know that sounds utterly stupid, but a wheelie bin (especially when empty) balanced on one wheel is noticeably quieter than when on both wheels.

Absolutely no idea why.  It just is.

Not recommended when it weighs as much as a small moon, or if you're trying to move it over gravel or some other impossible surface.

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I think that motorways should have the speed limits removed on sections outside of urban areas and away from junctions/slip roasd etc., Autobahn style.

Driving across Germany in the V8 Lexus was an absolute joy.

Can you imagine most of the people who use our motorways being able to drive at any speed they see fit? Or driving at 100mph towards some of them? These people aren't even intelligent enough to keep left or to check their mirrors before changing lanes.

An unpopular opinion:  Drivers should be re-tested on a regular basis, and to a far higher standard than they are currently.  This is actually more important than checking the car on an annual basis.

However, this will never happen as the Government makes far too much money from fuel duty and other vehicle taxation, so removing dangerous/idiotic/incompetent/blind/drunk/thick-as-shit drivers from the road will cost them too much money.

I would happily sit a driving test on a regular basis.

7 minutes ago, Talbot said:

An unpopular opinion:  Drivers should be re-tested on a regular basis, and to a far higher standard than they are currently.  This is actually more important than checking the car on an annual basis.

However, this will never happen as the Government makes far too much money from fuel duty and other vehicle taxation, so removing dangerous/idiotic/incompetent/blind/drunk/thick-as-shit drivers from the road will cost them too much money.

Related, I'd love to see a separate test and licence required to use motorways, since it seems such a daunting concept.

2 minutes ago, Sham said:

Can you imagine most of the people who use our motorways being able to drive at any speed they see fit? Or driving at 100mph towards some of them? These people aren't even intelligent enough to keep left or to check their mirrors before changing lanes.

I never said it would be a popular opinion 😅

For what it's worth, in my experience the standard of driving isn't any better in the neighbouring continental countries. On the Autobahn I was comfortably cruising at around 110mph in the Lexus where the road was clear, and you find yourself completely focused on the road and vehicles ahead at that sort of speed.

I wonder if knowing that there may be vehicles barrelling along at 3 figures might keep our less confident/capable drivers over in the relative safety of lane 1 more than at present.

13 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I think people should be retested every 5 years. There are probably 1,000,000 drivers out there who have not picked up a Highway Code in over 40 years and are very rusty or oblivious to any new signage and rules that have been introduced since they passed their tests.

2 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

keep our less confident/capable drivers over in the relative safety of lane 1

I worry that the ones that are already camping out in lane 2 are doing it because of a perception of safety. Though I admit there's also a big wedge of ignorance there, it's not uncommon for people to state blindly that lane 1 is for trucks and lane 2 is for cars.

14 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Not nearly as bad as the dirty water that comes out of a blocked-up washing machine.  That fucking STINKS.

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I think that motorways should have the speed limits removed on sections outside of urban areas and away from junctions/slip roasd etc., Autobahn style.

Was in Germany at the weekend, did the same thing in our hired VW Tiguan - I had it up to 100mph a few times.

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Two things I noticed driving the Autobahn were that people knew how to merge correctly at speed, and that there wasn't a lot of L2 hogging. It helps that people have no hesitation flashing at those who are in L2/L3 when the lane to their right is clear.

Does Germany have any motorway specific training / test involved in getting licences? I found it a lot easier and more relaxing to drive there, even doing 100mph in a van!

31 minutes ago, juular said:

Related, I'd love to see a separate test and licence required to use motorways, since it seems such a daunting concept.

That holds water, as learners aren't allowed on motorways.

Thus, how is one to learn how to use a motorway before gaining a full license and being let loose on the world?

I'm sure my first few expeditions onto motorways weren't exactly perfect.

But motorway driving is the same as dual carriageway driving - sure, there's a few extra rules that you should know as part of your theory.

I don't see the need for a separate test.