Bo11ox' Aircraft Carrier

Mr_Bo11ox

12 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Remember having a ride in a couple of V4 engined ones in the early seventies and thinking how could something so huge have only 2 litres.My Renault 25 is actually slightly longer,yet looks small compared to our "moderns"on the drive.

The Mondeo was bigger all round than the Zodiac. 

My dad had one of these in the 70's. I remember we traded in a Rover P6. The sills had rotted out, so we bought the Zodiac. What I remember was acres of black vinal. Hot and sticky in the summer and freezing in winter. 3litre V6 in that one. Used it to tow the caravan. Clutch started to go when towing up a steep hill in Bristol. Traded it in for a Landrover. Towing wasn't a problem after that. 

5 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

No way! What are the chances?!

Thread on a car gets revived after over 18 months, then days later is spotted up for sale…

A David Ike moment..... 'they' are watching 'everything'

or

Could be a co-incidence? My life's full of those :-) 

Looks decent. I sold it last year, maybe October time. I'd had both wings off, repaired them both above the headlamps and behind the front wheels, repaired the tops of the inner wings (the outers are still wearing my mismatched aerosol repairs I see!!!) and the LH scuttle which was quite rotten. I had the fuel tank out and repaired/painted it, repaired & painted the boot floor, new fuel hoses, rebuilt rear calipers, new SS exhaust, couple of new core plugs, rebuilt fuel pump, sorted out most of the electrics. It had a little hole in the RH screen surround and I bought a new screen rubber from Australia but never managed to deal with the hole. I wonder if he's covered it up with the new rubber and chrome trim. I advertised it for £2500 and it went in 48hrs.

Not even 1! The only time I drove it was round the industrial estate where the exhaust maker was. I nearly had it on the road and didn't really want to sell it, but unexpectedly had to choose between keeping this and my green Mazda 929.... so this lost. I was really looking forward to learning to use the column shift too. Ah well.

32 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Not even 1! The only time I drove it was round the industrial estate where the exhaust maker was. I nearly had it on the road and didn't really want to sell it, but unexpectedly had to choose between keeping this and my green Mazda 929.... so this lost. I was really looking forward to learning to use the column shift too. Ah well.

That 929 is pretty special to be fair. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

That's a shame after all your effort, gutted for you. I did a fair few miles in it, tried a Post Office raid get-away a few times and would have been caught by an Austin 1100 Panda car in between gear changes. A 3500S Rover Squad car would have needed a sawnoff waved at it to make any ground! 🤣 

Joking aside, he had some fun in it and I remember 5 of us piling out at the Ace Cafe and 4 drunks going home seasick.

Did you fit the Zenith carb? I wonder if the Vulcan unleaded heads are still on it? They came back gas flowed!!

This went through the ACA auction today and sold outright for a measly £2500, the same as I sold it for as an 'unfinished project'.  How refreshing (for me) to not come out the worst off on one of these old clunkers. It was sold with no reserve - would love to know what happened with the next guy. I'm sure you would put a reserve on if you were just after a 'quick flip'.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It was a funny old auction this weekend, prices were all over the shop.  Zephyr did look rather nice.

Just posted elsewhere here about lot 425 (Rover Sterling) - that went through at £3,800 + commision which seemed fair. The other stuff I was watching was, as you say, a bit all over the place.
A lot were not reaching reserves and the auctioneer dude was working hard on some of them - blood from a stone I felt.
This one sold:
image.thumb.png.f4f647774c5cb086ab271c292f4bc672.png

15 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Just posted elsewhere here about lot 425 (Rover Sterling) - that went through at £3,800 + commision which seemed fair. The other stuff I was watching was, as you say, a bit all over the place.
A lot were not reaching reserves and the auctioneer dude was working hard on some of them - blood from a stone I felt.
This one sold:

That would have been my choice.

45 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

This went through the ACA auction today and sold outright for a measly £2500, the same as I sold it for as an 'unfinished project'.  How refreshing (for me) to not come out the worst off on one of these old clunkers. It was sold with no reserve - would love to know what happened with the next guy. I'm sure you would put a reserve on if you were just after a 'quick flip'.

I think it was £2600 or so when bought in 2007, did I send you the Ebay advert screenshots?

48 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Seems cheap at £2500.  Far less than a Cortina of the same vintage.  No "old school Ford tax" on Mark 4s?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2024 at 20:37, EyesWeldedShut said:

This one sold:

Is there gun case in the boot .... Should only be driven wearing sunglasses and leather gloves