The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Yeah, last time I found one it was on a busy road so I picked it up with a blanket from the boot (was very weird picking up a flat cat that was as stiff as a board) and knocked on a couple of nearby doors. Somebody recognised it as belonging to a farmhand who lived in one of the cottages there and said to leave it with them. Was better than leaving it to get gradually more and more chunked in the road outside his house.

1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

Just come back 30 seconds after some arse has hit a cat and fucked off. It's rather dead. I've seen it about before so it's a local cat, but what do you do with a dead cat that isn't yours?

https://vegandad.co.uk/vegan-road-kill-recipe/

This is obviously not cat, because vegan, so I think it's not as sick as what I was going to suggest. 

I'll get my coat...sorry. 

Just passed a SAAB 96 in a motorway underpass roundabout, pulled onto the footpath, ambulance in front, police car behind so a bottleneck for traffic, two very worried looking women talking to a copper.  A bit chaotic as there are lights on the roundabout and anyone on it can't see what the holdup is.

Milton Keynes bloody council again.

There's a pretty damned busy roundabout just by us.  Has traffic coming off and (not) decelerating down from 70 on the A5 into the 40mph area, via its own filter lane.  Traffic actually coming round the roundabout exits onto lane 2 just before the filter lane ends.

Screenshot_20230831_154056.jpg

Left to right in the above image is the local traffic flow, which makes up the bulk of the traffic on the roundabout.  A5 approach is from the north, so top of frame.

They are currently resurfacing a bunch of roads around here - and the state they've left this in just now is with all the lane markings on the roundabout itself missing - but also the filter lane markings.

Screenshot_20230831_154235.jpg

However there's absolutely nothing to warn folks coming off the A5 that anything unusual is going on, so the first you know of the filter lane being missing, so cars cutting across assuming they have right of way, is when you see three people in quick succession nearly get T-boned in front of you.

There are no road work signs, no temporary give way signs, no cones, nothing, as you're coming off the A5.  Also nothing on the roundabout to alert you to the existence of the (currently invisible) filter lane joining from your left which usually has priority so isn't expecting to have to give way.

Nothing in place to show where the stop lines for the signals are heading in the opposite direction either - so the signals are all to pot as the vehicle detectors haven't a clue what's going on.

The filter lane then also reappears where the but they've been working on ends, causing complete confusion among the drivers who suddenly find themselves straddling the line they didn't know was there.

It's not exactly difficult traffic management we're talking about here.  How nobody's (as far as I know) had a shunt there today I've no idea.

I've been involved in roads from the authority side of it in my previous job and can confidently say if I'd had anything to do with signing off the way this has been left that I'd have been out the door with my P45 in hand before you can say "God the coffee here is awful" in one of the meeting rooms.

The resurfacing work they've done in a lot of areas around here over the last few months is an absolute joke as well.  In most cases they've not actually planed any meaningful surface away, and have just thrown down another 1/2" or so of wearing course - which is exactly following where all the existing ruts and pot holes were - they're just damned near invisible now rather than being something you could drive around.  One bit over by Newport Pagnell I'm pretty sure is actually worse now than before they started...which given the state of it is quite an achievement.

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

Place it in the gutter where it won't be reduced to mush and knock a couple of doors.

No need to do more. Word will soon spread.

Success. Local facebook has reunited dead cat. Still a bit shit to fuck off at warp speed when you know you hit it. Mind, prolly do the same no matter what he hit.

Dad's Yaris failed the MOT and is now uneconomical to fix so he is looking for another cheap small car and is short of choices. So I was stupid enough to show him an ad for an old Yaris for sale 3.5 hours away and the result is that I have to have a 7 hour drive on Monday for a damn Yaris. And I don't have a good feeling for the car or the seller either.

So all hope lies in it being  stolen or it catches on fire or a piano lands on it before monday.

5 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Just come back 30 seconds after some arse has hit a cat and fucked off. It's rather dead. I've seen it about before so it's a local cat, but what do you do with a dead cat that isn't yours?

My brain works rather sideways, sometimes. This post reminded me of

image.jpeg.155b49f0f6a714369f6109fb3a4f023b.jpeg

(I am sorry for the cat and it's owner btw)

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

...a bit shit to fuck off at warp speed when you know you hit it...

Hitting a cat is (probably) like hitting a rabbit, in that I suspect you are barely aware that you've hit one, on account of they weigh the square root of fuck all until they are old enough not to stray into the path of a car. This post is brought to you from the endlessly worried owner of a couple of adolescent cats.

1 minute ago, barefoot said:

Hitting a cat is (probably) like hitting a rabbit, in that I suspect you are barely aware that you've hit one, on account of they weigh the square root of fuck all until they are old enough not to stray into the path of a car. This post is brought to you from the endlessly worried owner of a couple of adolescent cats.

And unlike Dogs and Sheep the driver had no legal requirement to stop and notify anyone. 

25 minutes ago, barefoot said:

He knew he'd hit it as A: Big thump, B: 2 passing students shouted at him & C fucked off at warp speed.

33 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

What a time to be trying to trick people into renting an A class for 3 years.

signal-2023-08-31-18-48-51-145.thumb.jpg.0a4e927842d11c13c820aca2825b714b.jpg

signal-2023-08-31-18-49-08-571.thumb.jpg.0a225ad03b65ac18821cea2270fe71d0.jpg

These are absolute dog shit. We were stuck with one as a pool car for 3 years and I’d always take a transit in preference if mine was in for service. Nothing good to say about them at all apart from it’s finally gone, thank fuck!

23 minutes ago, Wibble said:

These are absolute dog shit. We were stuck with one as a pool car for 3 years and I’d always take a transit in preference if mine was in for service. Nothing good to say about them at all apart from it’s finally gone, thank fuck!

My work gave me a loan of a new petrol A class when my  W204 had an FTP,  after them fitting a new throttle body to it.

I found it to be flimsy and incomprehensible .............

Seriously, why do you need multiple screens to distract you from the outside environment when you're driving?

Give me a speedo, a rev counter, fuel and temp gauges - this modern habit of  big LED screens in cars is too much for this old fart.....

21 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I really don't see how companies like Deliveroo and Just Eat can be allowed to operate in the UK. Other than the obvious fact the UK is a complete shitshow  captured in a race to the bottom  nowadays...
They rely on 'non-employees' using what 90% of the time are in some way illegal transport, whether private cars uninsured for business use or these fucking E-bike things that look like they weigh as much as a small moped and usually get ridden by stoned arseholes either on the pavement or weaving in and out of traffic. I thought these things were just plain illegal to ride anywhere other than your own private property?

They are but again no one gives a shit until someone is knocked of by an evil planet murdering cash cow motorist.

2 hours ago, Wibble said:

Nothing good to say about them at all apart from it’s finally gone, thank fuck!

I thought it would be a good idea to get one just before I turned 19 just as the trend of everyone and their mum seemingly having one was taking flight, what a twat I am for doing it. Waste of a good 2 ish years when I could've been in something far more spoony. Boring, lifeless, mass produced mainstream hateful shitbox. And it's a Renault in a Mercedes dress too. FUCK I HATE THEM SO MUCH AHHHHH. I narrowly despise the 1 series more.

27 minutes ago, nev_jr said:

I thought it would be a good idea to get one just before I turned 19 just as the trend of everyone and their mum seemingly having one was taking flight, what a twat I am for doing it. Waste of a good 2 ish years when I could've been in something far more spoony. Boring, lifeless, mass produced mainstream hateful shitbox. And it's a Renault in a Mercedes dress too. FUCK I HATE THEM SO MUCH AHHHHH. I narrowly despise the 1 series more.

😆that pretty much sums them up, absolute boxes of shit with no driver enjoyment whatsoever. Sorry you made the mistake of finding that out for yourself!

17 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Whereas Spain saw Deliveroo as abusing the rights of its its delivery riders and drivers.

Who of course are employees, not subcontractors. With no British interference.

The Spanish government also gets tax from the employees whereas I suspect your average U.K. Deliveroo driver pays sod all.

13 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Dad's Yaris failed the MOT and is now uneconomical to fix so he is looking for another cheap small car and is short of choices. So I was stupid enough to show him an ad for an old Yaris for sale 3.5 hours away and the result is that I have to have a 7 hour drive on Monday for a damn Yaris. And I don't have a good feeling for the car or the seller either.

So all hope lies in it being  stolen or it catches on fire or a piano lands on it before monday.

Piano.thumb.jpg.0f64cdfd189ffaa154bb938f780e7fec.jpg

14 hours ago, nev_jr said:

An ex work colleague was over the moon with his new one on PCP until I pointed out the motor was finest renault - he suddenly looked as if somebody had shit in his slippers.

43 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Oh shit, what's happened??

Just had my garage broken into. Luckily there was almost nothing there as I have only just moved and my stuff was still stored elsewhere!

All the other garages in the row appear to be untouched so I'm hoping they just noticed the house had someone new so they decided to break in to see if anything was there

Carefully back the bike into the garage after spending some time rubbing bits of the frame down and spraying them black. Pus side stand down gently.  Gently onto a can of VHT silver spray paint, which promptly ruptured and sprayed various nice black bits silver and also covered my new works jeans and old trainers 🙄 😂