The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

If I ever find whoever it was who stuck down the rocker cover gasket I have just changed with what appeared to be blue Loctite, I intend to make them *eat* the remains of said gasket.

IMG_20230523_145110.jpg

Nearly three bloody hours of scraping to get most of that off.

Not me 'guv!! The owner before me did reset the tappets - I didn't touch them. I don't know if he changed the gasket or not...

In the big box of bits, there is rocker arms, old valves and the like. So presumably it's had some headwork at some point in its history. 

23 minutes ago, SiC said:

Not me 'guv!! The owner before me did reset the tappets - I didn't touch them. I don't know if he changed the gasket or not...

In the big box of bits, there is rocker arms, old valves and the like. So presumably it's had some headwork at some point in its history. 

Given how clean everything under there was I don't doubt it.  Whether the work went deeper I don't know - will probably be able to see when I have the exhaust valve cover off as that's harder to clean out.

The gasket was installed a good inch too far to the rear so the whole back section wasn't touching anything!

Never for a second thought it was you - your reaction to such antics I would expect to be similar to mine!

On 5/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, Ghosty said:

PXL_20230520_151402383.jpg

just sitting there!

Reg check reveals it's auto, on about 84k, hasn't been MOTd for four years and hasn't been V5d since 2005. The for sale sign has nothing but a mobile number on it.

Sent a text, natch. Wondering what the deal is as the trade plate is curious. If it's cheap I'll have it, it's only in Stockport.

Nice, Meldew spec 

The text never got a reply.

I got another message though, hey some parts you put a deposit down will be available on Tues, can you collect?

Mercifully it's half term next week so I should be  able to get leave easily as there won't be anyone at my school and I'd be working at the central office anyway.

22 hours ago, brownnova said:

Some of it’s white! 
IMG_1485.jpeg

A local ish guy has a white car and matching traction avant. An ascot woman has a grey Charleston, and there’s my blue car.if the bride isn’t happy with this choice there’s my mechanic’s ak400 or my x1/9.

12 minutes ago, SiC said:

It's amazing what filler can hide. 

Something I mutter to myself when I have the wire wheel out and coating the inside of my garage with filler dust. 

I honestly thought this pillar was sound till I chopped the bottom of it off and saw the 3 layers of steel 🤣

This is a car I have owned for about 11 years and has done repeated runs from NE Scotland to Lemans. It has always been garaged (well stuck in the corner of my shed) during my ownership.  I never suspected bodgery and the only reason it went to @GingerNuttz was I was going to sell it and the passenger front door had dropped a little and there was a small hole on the drivers inner wing and the drivers door stay had pulled out. The latter two were like it when I bought it, so decided for the little work it needed it might as well get done before sale. If I had known how bad it was, it would have been broken for parts. Still, someone is going to get a very well sorted P5B now.

10 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

This is a car I have owned for about 11 years and has done repeated runs from NE Scotland to Lemans. It has always been garaged (well stuck in the corner of my shed) during my ownership.  I never suspected bodgery and the only reason it went to @GingerNuttz was I was going to sell it and the passenger front door had dropped a little and there was a small hole on the drivers inner wing and the drivers door stay had pulled out. The latter two were like it when I bought it, so decided for the little work it needed it might as well get done before sale. If I had known how bad it was, it would have been broken for parts. Still, someone is going to get a very well sorted P5B now.

That's how the story always starts! At least for me!

Dolomite I prodded the front wheel arch with my finger and it went through. Then prodded the jacking point and that also went through.

Midget I took off the front wing to repair the a post. Removed the a-post panel with a screwdriver as the weld penetration is so bad it wasn't holding. Then everything else started coming apart with the same screwdriver...

Spitfire I have photos of it during restoration. I know where filler has been put on and I know to never poke those bits. 🤣🫣

That said, the chassis is solid and that's just as important on a body on chassis. 

Where as my P4 was rust pitted but no filler was on those areas. Unlike the others where it bubbled under the paint and thus filler. 

It puts me off ever spending £10k+ on a filler. 

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Ah I bet there is only a tiny hole under here that needs patching.

PXL_20210109_170121077.thumb.jpg.55e91748a46b7ce23b43bdc04f5d8e5f.jpg

Hmm. 

PXL_20210109_181340897.thumb.jpg.ebc8ed173868794acc72e3f1c8eb7cd2.jpg

Let's clean it up with a grinder as I'm already in deep

PXL_20210109_182542479.thumb.jpg.0dc374f7244bac4f466cc460d8e45059.jpg

Sigh

PXL_20230501_182918623.thumb.jpg.108d75188dd843f900956ab90c25046e.jpg

I'll never forget slamming the back door on the Acclaim and the sill fell off,  I was fucking rolling on the floor laughing for about 10 minutes then it hit me I had to weld it 🤣

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

At least you have photos of what's been done, so you can prove it's a good one and price accordingly. And they are a lovely car.

So on Monday night I did a bit of filler and painting on the Dolomite in preparation for it to go into storage for a bit. Not a great job but sufficient to stop it rusting over on these freshly replaced bits.
930bba10db4cb8babbdb1a57a9924e0c.jpg
cbd6b6a74aee7c1f02b87fc8f8c558b0.jpg

Then yesterday was the big day of movement.

Firstly I cleared the drive.
2dde0832226f89309908c8c4b4acd7f5.jpg
1f55f348c4f580d1ed2664a080083cb9.jpg

The Spitfire made it clear it's views on the German Junk it was wedged between.
c92b46689337c2614b1b0195fef8f355.jpg

04b2c8e56e8962a4ad95c99e85dbbd16.jpg

I did a lot of heave hoeing to get it to this point. Darn hard work.
6833ddc6ecf4297d979359f9c8ea62ef.jpg

Then I realised there was it's bumper underneath and it was getting stuck on it. 🤦‍♂️

After I moved that it was relatively straightforward to push it out. I bolted the front seats so they didn't move about and get damaged.

With that done, @worldofceri arrived to transport it across. Also a special guest turned up to help load it.
None other than @PhilA!
3dfd7a2c27684e32fa159d824c1c00b9.jpg

Then it was off to storage. This is why I employ a professional for this sort of thing. I won't deny, I mostly stood back as I don't know what I'm doing with moving cars.
f4faa0786bdb38344fd49291f62b75b9.jpg

Then into its new home for a bit.
84418bcf54f71a224d2cbf6df1a1d53b.jpg

I came back later and the Dolomite made it clear it was unhappy about being squirrelled away.
44952a4f3af16ae2eaaaae6cb0011734.jpg

With the toy cupboard cleared, I already started filling it again.
809d310e93b887e69aa819ff71d10f1f.jpg

With that out of the way, this came along
0406dce05858f5255733d78816f90b11.jpg

And went in here! Safe and sound.
7822d0ea02e370bbf12020880d69aee2.jpg

Then the other two to complete the drive.
589fc1a4c605e3f6f4cf1cd508faf330.jpg

I think I'm at the perfect (personally and realistically achievable) fleet now. Quite happy with what I've got.

Maybe a few tweaks in the future like a GT6/Frogeye Sprite/Mini to replace/supplement the others but they're quite a bit of cash to put into classics. At some point I can see myself having another ADO16 shaped object too. Ideally a 2dr 1300 powered vehicle.

Also did some Spitfire re-wiring, which I'll update my Spitty thread in due course.

30 minutes ago, stuboy said:

depends on the area

It's not a bad area, not posh but not rough either. But since alloys became standard on everything but the base models I didn't think there was a market for pinching them.