The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I get that with vacuum cleaners! If I win stuff for under a tenner it's just a matter of waiting a day for them to realise what their selling doesn't break down small easily and "sorry I've gone to pack it and it's broken" but 95% of the time I still need to push for it as I want it for 'insert other non broken part here', and nodded on it because it was listed as broken but it doesn't matter to me as I'll just strip it down for the bits I need

4/10 they get posted and it wasn't broken at all or its refunded 😢

The guy I got a kirby from on new years day questioned me, he went to get it out his shed and it'd been leaked over for months. Still wanted it (and the motor ran fine and is in my Sentria right now!). It's easier with a collection only thing though and he got £20 I could tell he wasn't expecting to get 

Oh but it gets better!

image.thumb.png.e3059e70cb26bcd0fe60634c5f353d43.png

to which my response is going to be something along the lines of "thats quite thoughtful of you, if you could do that, and refund me my amount owed that would be much appreciated" 

do eBay sellers get some sort of negative strike if they cancel an order? I dont know otherwise why he does not wanna refund me my 99 pence LOL

(if he wants to donate to a homeless person thats no problem on me and quite nice, but it feels here to me as him just trying to get out of refunding me for whatever reason)

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh but it gets better!

image.thumb.png.e3059e70cb26bcd0fe60634c5f353d43.png

to which my response is going to be something along the lines of "thats quite thoughtful of you, if you could do that, and refund me my amount owed that would be much appreciated" 

do eBay sellers get some sort of negative strike if they cancel an order? I dont know otherwise why he does not wanna refund me my 99 pence LOL

(if he wants to donate to a homeless person thats no problem on me and quite nice, but it feels here to me as him just trying to get out of refunding me for whatever reason)

That’s brilliant 😂 

Replying saying you’ve had a chat with your financial advisor and he’s said you’ve make enough charitable donations this tax year but it’s a kind thought. 

Or, don’t reply now then report the item as not being received and get the cunt a strike for not receiving the item you’ve paid for. 

10 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

That’s brilliant 😂 

Replying saying you’ve had a chat with your financial advisor and he’s said you’ve make enough charitable donations this tax year but it’s a kind thought. 

Or, don’t reply now then report the item as not being received and get the cunt a strike for not receiving the item you’ve paid for. 

I try not to do too much BSing so to speak myself

(the part about the lamp holders is partly true, thats how I found the lamp actually, I have some similar lamp of same socket type that I was eying up some lamp holders for on ebay, and in doing so found the bulb listing, so upon winning the bulb, I thought I would finally pick up some lamp holders for it, and my other ones)

but thats was kinda my next thought, if he continued to play hardball, to mention some thing about needing the refund to keep the books balanced

for now I just sent 

image.png.e387014f0e19d2d7b692c23397ce499b.png

not holding out much hope mind

7 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Let’s call his bluff 

IMG_2890.png

Oh FFS 🤣

this can only end well* :) 

12 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I reckon hes cottoned on!

IMG_2891.png

Awww! LOL

interestingly tho, he had 2 listings for the same lamp with the same pictures

one was the one I won and another same without the bidding option

image.thumb.png.842c509be1dd37b2493c6eb33146ec1f.png

curiously the moment I went to check on this 2nd lamp he had ended the listing early as item no longer available

because I was going to say to him "ok but you have a 2nd identical one listed can you send me that" but he craftily ended it

but that does raise the question, what would of happened, if I won, and then someone else had purchased the other one he had listed?

I love* being tech support for mad old bats.

I keep getting told to turn all adverts off and my phone is overtaken by all adverts and a picture comes up on my screen of a man with a phone in is hands and i says you need to pay and he will clear all adverts but my phone becomes fully overtaken by all these adverts wanting me to agree to these adverts and click on them, and then you can get trapped into trouble.  what i normally look for the skip advert on screen and that turns them off. So really we don,t need to pay to get adverts removed but, both parry and i think this is a way of getting people to agreen just to make money, parry says don,t agree so i won,t.

Er, ok.

I have had to change onto my other tablet because, the one I was using just will not let me in now at all.

I REALLY THINK SOMEONE IS CREATING PROBLEMS ON MY COMPUTER AND MY PHONE.

Last time ELITE HACKER was she entered & saved the facebook password into the wifi password field. Fairly sure android things are not that easy to take over, and why would you bother nobbling 3 different devices?

She is probably on a numpty list, as I've seen romance scammers posting on her stuff. She also has a habit of friending / following anything that remotely mentions Jesus, TEH LORD etc. Wouldn't be that hard to get on her friends list with a carefully crafted Jesus post, and then to bang a load of shit her way so it appears on her facebook wall. But I can't get her to take a photo / screenshot so don't know what's really going on.

Anyone recommend a remote desktop app I can get her to install so I can fix from here?

Was linked to a for sale advertisement for a twin carb intake manifold, carbs, fuel rail etc for the Pontiac- for not an extreme amount of money.

Two cracks in the alloy. Okay, not so bad

Local pick up in New Jersey.

Yeah not driving 3000 miles for a broken intake manifold

On 07/01/2024 at 10:37, myglaren said:

I have vivid recollections of walking to work in the early morning (around 4 a.m.) in -38°C and it didn't seem that bad, often feels colder her and only a few degrees below 0°C.  Allegedly due to the humidity levels.  My mother had similar experiences in Germany and Poland during the war, although the temperture wasn't quite as low.

When it is very cold it is also very dry, it doesn't get as cold as -38°c in the UK but I remember several winters of sub -20°c temps in the Highlands. Would take that over 3°c, blowing a gale and sleeting. 

I've had 4 days now with temperatures of minus 30 and lower and one managed at first but then the cold started to creep in. The house clearly has no insulation in most of the walls so it is cold, even with 2 wood stoves running 16 hours a day it is never warm inside and life now revolves around keeping the wood stoves going.

The water into the house almost froze, but fortunately I have installed heating elements in the pipes, when I changed them so all I had to do was to turned up the thermostat, that saved them from freezing. The outlet for the dishwasher inside the kitchen cupboard has frozen but managed to defrost it. Water and sewage drain has almost frozen so are working on it now.

Cars are a challenge, have talked to dad and the van is dead, he has managed to get the little Toyota up and running but it wasn't happy. I read in the media that many people have car problems and especially starting problems here now. I expect that the Hyundai is also dead and when it gets warmer it is a priority to get it started if possible. And I am very worried about the Vivaro as the antifreeze in it is not good and should have been changed but due to everything last year it was not done, so I hope that the engine has survived.

This is the most extreme winter weather I have experienced so far.

Do you not have block heaters in your cars & vans?

Our works cars all had Eberspächer heaters on timers but outside the flats where we lived there were 'hitching posts' fore every parking space to connect the car's electric heater to the mains.  Never any problem starting them and nice and warm to get in to.

I imagine that might be more of a "city" thing - as I understand it Dyslexic Viking lives in the arse end of nowhere.

Is it not normal practice to drain down the coolant if extreme cold temperatures are expected?  That's what people used to do here back when we had proper winters and less effective antifreeze.

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I think I have given him fair chance to refund me otherwise!

woke up this morning to find a refund has landed in my inbox

I guess he woke up this morning also and realised I was just going to raise the matter with ebay which he had no chance of disputing

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Do you not have block heaters in your cars & vans?

Our works cars all had Eberspächer heaters on timers but outside the flats where we lived there were 'hitching posts' fore every parking space to connect the car's electric heater to the mains.  Never any problem starting them and nice and warm to get in to.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I imagine that might be more of a "city" thing - as I understand it Dyslexic Viking lives in the arse end of nowhere.

Is it not normal practice to drain down the coolant if extreme cold temperatures are expected?  That's what people used to do here back when we had proper winters and less effective antifreeze.

Block heaters on electricity are nice and something we should have, but it's so rarely extremely cold anymore that I haven't thought about it, but maybe we should.

Coolant, pre-mixed and most of what comes in cars now is mixed 50/50 which is in the minus 36 to 38 range which isnt really enough. Draining coolant is fine enough on older cars where things are easy, but on everything made in the last decades it is not easy so I will avoid doing that.

Dads van won't start, he's tried charging the battery and everything he can but the engine won't turn over. So it looks like it has to be towed to a garage, as there is nothing more we can do. It's expected to be warmer tomorrow so I'll see if I can get mine started, it's petrol and a Hyundai, so that at least gives me some hope.

West Yorkshire Police apparently out catching speeders with a 0.3 megapixel USB webcam?

image.png.fb7d16bbce463b5d3420248f9850e676.png

There is an accompanying zoomed photo where there is sufficient POTATO POWER to read the plate. 

It was me so I've just copped for it but doesn't seem like this level of imagery would be any use in a case where someone is claiming it wasn't them.

51 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

West Yorkshire Police apparently out catching speeders with a 0.3 megapixel USB webcam?

image.png.fb7d16bbce463b5d3420248f9850e676.png

There is an accompanying zoomed photo where there is sufficient POTATO POWER to read the plate. 

It was me so I've just copped for it but doesn't seem like this level of imagery would be any use in a case where someone is claiming it wasn't them.

in the fucking middle of the night

5 minutes ago, hairnet said:

in the fucking middle of the night

Apparently there are other locations near me where they are also out at 6-7am. 

Would expect it to be a strictly day shift 9-5 sort of effort.

35 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Apparently there are other locations near me where they are also out at 6-7am. 

Would expect it to be a strictly day shift 9-5 sort of effort.

I must say the amount of camera vans and police vehicles up and about at all hours north of Doncaster is staggering compared to south of London.

Was that really the NIP picture sent to you?

53 minutes ago, silvercar said:

I must say the amount of camera vans and police vehicles up and about at all hours north of Doncaster is staggering compared to south of London.

Was that really the NIP picture sent to you?

It's one of three, there is one more zoomed in where you can see the number plate but none of them are better quality than you would have got out of a 2003 Sony Ericsson.

This cold snap can get to fuck.

I have severe asthma but thankfully no longer steroid dependant. However the colld is affecting my sinuses - my head aches along with my teeth  and my ears.

18 minutes ago, Bren said:

This cold snap can get to fuck.

I have severe asthma but thankfully no longer steroid dependant. However the colld is affecting my sinuses - my head aches along with my teeth  and my ears.

Ahhh  - I thought that just was the learghy/covid/flu/bug that I caught last week.
Would it also cause achy joints, stuck lugs and a need for fourteen hours sleep a day? That and a brain fog like after a dozen (bad) pints.
Just grumpy 'cos I've not had a flu-like thing for years and years. Bollox.

10 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Ahhh  - I thought that just was the learghy/covid/flu/bug that I caught last week.
Would it also cause achy joints, stuck lugs and a need for fourteen hours sleep a day? That and a brain fog like after a dozen (bad) pints.
Just grumpy 'cos I've not had a flu-like thing for years and years. Bollox.

I have trouble sleeping at night. But then want to sleep during the day.