The grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, Pieman said:

As for smoking, if anyone started puffing away in my house without asking they'd get a bucket of water emptied over their head.

Our out-laws smoke and are house trained such that even in the (perpetual) gales up here they'll stand outside and shiver in order to get the nicotine fix.
The smell is pervasive - years ago my wife was convinced I smoked at work as my clothes reeked when I came home - joys of being trapped in a mini-bus with a number of hairy arsed coppers for hours on end.
The thing that used to get me was the scum that would coat the inside of the windscreens - foul - "that's your lungs that is" - no reaction.

14 hours ago, Pieman said:

Should have let her tyres down, and then said "I just want to play too".

As for smoking, if anyone started puffing away in my house without asking they'd get a bucket of water emptied over their head.

Same here.  Except they would have to call an ambulance for me.  Extreme reaction to tobacco smoke, like Asthma on steroids.

The Mrs's mother is causing problems again. We got ghosted when we went to Whitby, with the resulting previously mentioned blame it on the cat shitting excuse. Now she's not even bothered to send a crapmass card, so we've decided sod it, let her get on with it.

Except sudden burst of enthusiasm, do we want to go there for a new year's meal, she's paying?
Er, how about a resounding FUCK NO? Don't fancy driving to find Jesus has told her to ghost us again.

It's difficult as she's clearly totally fruit loop. Some scammer only has to mention THE LORD, and she's on them like a rash. 'Cos anyone who says JESUS can't possibly be a bad person. Just hope she hasn't got online banking.

15 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Driving looks fun today.

Screenshot_2023-12-27-15-03-55-454_com.google.android_apps_maps.thumb.jpg.ba9e2b95ba29fd62b30d5a13a627cc48.jpg

It took our friends 8.5 hours to do a 4.25ish hour journey yesterday using M23, 25, 40, 42 & 6. Apparently there were a fair few accidents slowing things down as well as weight of traffic.

Wife and her sister are leaving shortly to do the same trip, hopefully it will be quicker today.

I'd quite happily not leave the house today, the weather is utterly horrific. Started last night with awful wind, rain and thunder. At one point so violent it set multiple car alarms off on my road, mine included. The rain and wind are back today, although seem to be dying down now.

Took the Bini for a service because I can’t be arsed to do it myself.  Two new tyres needed on the back and aux belt.  Fine.

On the way home, the under tray decided to drop down at the front on the A2, doing 65.  Just about made me shit myself with the noise.

Garage took it back in to sort, no questions.  But still irritating.

4 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Took the Bini for a service because I can’t be arsed to do it myself.  Two new tyres needed on the back and aux belt.  Fine.

On the way home, the under tray decided to drop down at the front on the A2, doing 65.  Just about made me shit myself with the noise.

Buy an R55 - no undertray :-)

1 hour ago, Paul-l said:

F…ing car.

just spent 45 minutes trying to work out why the wipers stopped working. Fuses - no, Scan - no, wiggle switch- no repeat all - no, engine running- no

bonnet open on the catch!

I've definitely* not done this before... 🤣On a poxy modern Skoda fabia with the infamous constantly on intermittent fault having just replaced the stalk... Having the bonnet open after reconnecting the battery had nothing to do with it of course 🙄🤣

On 26/12/2023 at 20:08, Zelandeth said:

My entire goddamn house reeks of cigarette smoke.  My lungs feel like they've been through a cheese grater, and my head is pounding (even more than usual) and has been for about 48 hours now.

Having chain smoking relations over for Xmas sucks.  Especially if you've got asthma.

I thought it was about the most repulsive habit on the planet even before seeing it in black and white as a cause of death on my mother's death certificate.

Sure it will only take about a week to get rid of the stink.

You let them smoke inside your house? My uncle died of lung cancer but never smoked inside his own house ( or my parent’s.)

6 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

That happened on wife’s Bini too, apres service. We were doing about 65 too. At first I thought a tyre had come off and it was running on the rim.

13 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It is an R55.  Definitely an undertray under the front.  Can confirm because I was was trying to get it re-attached with on a bizarre spur road directly off the A2.  In twilight.  Just after it started to rain...

I've been diddled !
Definitely got one on the R50 but the 2008 R55 has none (nor any attachments) - there's a teeny, tiny thing that kind of closes off a gap behind the air dam.
I want my money back.

The current R50 has its one cable tied in place (by previous owner) that works.....

Just now, EyesWeldedShut said:

I've been diddled !
Definitely got one on the R50 but the 2008 R55 has none (nor any attachments) - there's a teeny, tiny thing that kind of closes off a gap behind the air dam.
I want my money back.

The current R50 has its one cable tied in place (by previous owner) that works.....

Under trays are over rated…

34 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Under trays are over rated…

Most of the old tat we have through this household are missing them (mainly because the manufacturer's fixing are made of chocolate?)
Only two cars stick in mind as being of any good -Freeloader had a big steel plate bolted in with BIG bolts (not sure if that's standard or a mud wallowers' thing). The Scooby Outback was brilliant - big clips and a hatch to access the oil filter - clever.

Today's grump from here is for a car lacking an undertray - it's a coil pack ordered on Boxing Day (I know it's the holidays but I did pay for 24 hr delivery)
image.png.7642358c9571f458ce5961c8c9114250.png

[edit] now I am really pissed off - that message was sent at 21:17 yesterday. There's no way I can get one of these before Tuesday now and I had moved the MoT back to next Wednesday already - fecketitty feck feck 

On Christmas day I lost a plastic jacking pad fron the 75s sill when I couldn't avoid a Puddle as it was behind a blind bend and there was oncoming traffic.  Its not the first time either and they are FIFTEEN quid each. Thankfully my wife saw it land in the middle of the carriageway, opposite a car park and there was also a pavement so I was able to retrieve it. They're hard plastic so it was unscathed.

A couple of days ago I then took it back off, heated it with a heat gun and opened up the clips to make it a tighter fit and had to tap it back on with a hammer. As such I thought that was that on for good.

Today, gone. Arseflaps.

Hope I don't need to work on the car with ramps any time soon. As their now holding up next doors fence! 

IMG20231229105326.thumb.jpg.65ba001be672a338e08a116ce3f0b26f.jpg

Thought my gate got opened a few time yesterday (my phone notifies me) but it seems both posts have snapped and it wa leaning over my side. 

Not too concerned, their a nice old lady and daughter and we get on well. They had the whole thing replaced a few years ago too. Not spoken to them yet as their out but will tell them not to rush, I think there's more poor weather on the way. Hopefully this keeps it from crashing right down (ramps are on the posts, with some @dollywobblercable ties for good measure

Fucking shite modern fuel.  The can I bought for mower, pressure washer etc towards the end of September is no longer flammable.

Yes it's been in the shed which gets bloody hot when it's sunny, but even so...

Of course I only came to this conclusion after spending over an hour trying to get the bloody pressure washer started.  Fresh fuel, first pull.

Too late to actually do what I'd set out to buy then so all I've achieved is getting myself slightly damp and pissing off my back.  Maybe tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Fucking shite modern fuel.  The can I bought for mower, pressure washer etc towards the end of September is no longer flammable.

Of course I only came to this conclusion after spending over an hour trying to get the bloody pressure washer started.  Fresh fuel, first pull.

Too late to actually do what I'd set out to buy then so all I've achieved is getting myself slightly damp and pissing off my back.  Maybe tomorrow.

I was recommended several years ago to start using Aspen 4 for 4 stroke engines like this and have done so ever since, I no longer have problems since I started using it and things like the snowblower starts first time after 6 months with that in it. I think the exhaust is much better when using it too so is recommended.Screenshot2023-12-3016_46_59.thumb.png.b69d5c91b74ba21905df879bafbf234e.png

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/products/aspen-fuel/ 

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I put a glug of fuel stabiliser in anything I'm not using immediately. Had both petrol and diesel be fine for a year. I write on the can the date the stabiliser was added. It gets bloody hot in my garage too. 

But I might try Aspen/ other alcolyte petrol as well.